ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

help will be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2009, 09:09 PM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up help will be appreciated

What you think guy give me your honest opinion on the car and the price. As im going to see it tomorrow.
Dont know if this is the right way to set up a link but here we go!

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO WRX STI

Last edited by donmojo; 24 May 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:24 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

car and price looks good

BUT why has it got a wrx steering wheel?, it doesnt look right,

taffy
Old 24 May 2009, 09:26 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like good example get an independent check on the car ie aa/rac price wise always a bit more expensive through a dealer nice car most important fsh cheers gary
Old 24 May 2009, 09:42 PM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
car and price looks good

BUT why has it got a wrx steering wheel?, it doesnt look right,

taffy
What do you mean when you said it does look right mate. Had an HPI check on it today and no problems with it been stolen or written off. What you suggest could be wrong taffy.
Old 24 May 2009, 09:44 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Not trying to put the frighteners on you mate, the steering wheel as mentioned could be a sign that the airbag might have gone off and so been replaced. Also there is writing missing off the boot and stickers off the front fog covers which in itself isn't unusual as plenty debadge, just could be a sign that its had a little bump and been repaired(this could be completely wrong), and shouldn't there be a rear fog light hanging off the Bumper with it being a JDM.

Like i said i'm not trying to scare you off, it could be a perfectly good car but maybe ask a few questions. Its a good price and a nice car otherwise, just remember there is a lot of well priced cars out there.

Aaron
Old 24 May 2009, 10:01 PM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
Not trying to put the frighteners on you mate, the steering wheel as mentioned could be a sign that the airbag might have gone off and so been replaced. Also there is writing missing off the boot and stickers off the front fog covers which in itself isn't unusual as plenty debadge, just could be a sign that its had a little bump and been repaired(this could be completely wrong), and shouldn't there be a rear fog light hanging off the Bumper with it being a JDM.

Like i said i'm not trying to scare you off, it could be a perfectly good car but maybe ask a few questions. Its a good price and a nice car otherwise, just remember there is a lot of well priced cars out there.

Aaron
What questions do you suggest mate?? Mind just going blank know with the comments suggested!!!
Old 24 May 2009, 10:11 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

just ask questions about the writing being taken off the covers and boot lid and see how they answer and if your happy with the answers given.

Regarding the fog light i'd ask them to put the rear fog light on and see if one lights up, if it doesn't light up i'm pretty sure thats an MOT fail and as its been MOT'd in this country its either had a dodgy MOT or its been removed/broken off.

Also ask for photo's on here of people with JDM cars steering wheels just to see if they are different to whats on this one, again ask about this too.

Aaron
Old 24 May 2009, 10:14 PM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

nice one for the comments guys putting me off a little bit but will have to give it a good check over. If it works out it should be a good. Just the damn drive down 3 hours each way.

Last edited by donmojo; 24 May 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:18 PM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

Aaron much appreciated mate
Old 24 May 2009, 10:27 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Just remember there is lots of cars out there mate, if you think something isn't right then walk away.

Aaron
Old 24 May 2009, 10:27 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the other comments regarding the steering wheel and fog light stickers. Why would you change a Sti wheel for a WRX one?

The most important thing is not to rush into it. I don't know how long you've been looking - or even if this will be your first Impreza - but there are loads of similar cars out there around that price. You're in a great position as a buyer because of that, so don't feel pressured into going to see, or buy it by the seller.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just to add to the concerns over the wheel/airbag, the front bumper looks badly aligned in the pics. Look at where the bonnet drop-downs meet the bumper uppy bits (technical huh ) and under the headlights. The panel gap looks alarmingly big, but it may just be the lo-res pics

Also, a mate of mine recently bought an 05 JDM STi for just £8.5k. It was a private seller, so generally cheaper than a dealer, but these cars tend to sell to enthusiasts, and enthusiasts (with money) are thin on the ground right now. Haggle hard !

Last edited by corradoboy; 24 May 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:45 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Looking at corradoboys spot that front bumper does look a bad fit around the drivers side headlight. All these things are pointing towards a bump IMHO.

Aaron
Old 24 May 2009, 10:56 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

As everyone else said, also where are the defis mentioned in the ad???

Mac
Old 24 May 2009, 10:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Good spot, £600 bargaining point there He's probably sold them to a mate and forgot to amend the ad
Old 24 May 2009, 11:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm

Shouldn't it have a pink badge at the front as well ??
Google Image Result for http://belfast.gumtree.com/posting_images/47/36421547__1237460000__0__3-90bb7c7461b0e74d2ceea4a5dd5d726f.__big__.jpg

I'll have a look at the rest of the pics ....
Old 24 May 2009, 11:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that bumper has def been off, but it looks like a splitter has been blended into it, so maybe the bshop who did it just didn't align it quite right at the front ? It's good price though.

Cboy that's a great price your mate got for an 05, what mileage was on it?
Old 24 May 2009, 11:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

AFAIK it was a quite low miler. The seller was desperate and he was the only person showing interest so had him by the ***** I wish I was in the market for one right now as I'd really enjoy playing the game
Old 25 May 2009, 12:03 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds very lucky if it was a low miler then. Most of the good ones are goin for 10-11K.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:26 AM
RB5 JO
Scooby Regular

Looks like the one that was for sale at riverdale cars in Tonbridge, only it had the extra fog light
Old 25 May 2009, 08:42 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

That steering wheel is off WRX of at latest, 2004 vintage. An airbag going off is hardly consistent with a minor ding. The car would appear to have had a decent front end shunt. The car has obviously been repaired using second hand parts by a non franchise dealer. If they've skimped by using second hand, incorrect parts, will you be satisfied that the rest of the car has been properly repaired? The misaligned panels suggest otherwise to me. The car will only be recorded on VCAR if it has been subject to a total loss or a V23 has been submitted. If the car has been repaired without an insurance claim, it will not show as having been written off. Best of luck, don't rush in now and regret it later. Bob

Last edited by s70rjw; 25 May 2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 25 May 2009, 08:49 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
That steering wheel is off WRX of at latest, 2004 vintage. An airbag going off is hardly consistent with a minor ding. The car would appear to have had a decent front end shunt. The car has obviously been repaired using second hand parts by a non franchise dealer. If they've skimped by using second hand, incorrect parts, will you be satisfied that the rest of the car has been properly repaired? The misaligned panels suggest otherwise to me. The car will only be recorded on VCAR if it has been subject to a total loss or a V23 has been submitted. If the car has been repaired without an insurance claim, it will not show as having been written off. Best of luck, don't rush in now and regret it later. Bob
Some good points there Bob, second hand bits from any old car all points to a poor repair. Don't forget we all have to sell at some point, why put yourself through major grief when it comes to sell on?? Plenty of decent cars around to buy..........
Old 02 June 2009, 11:12 AM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

checked the car out seems to be alright no real problems spotted haggled with the dealer and got a decent price as well as six months warranty. Not willing to go down too much with the six months warranty. Good low mileage, full service history 1 previous mature owner. Hopefully all going well will buy after a couple of checks. I know I will not be getting much when I sell because cars like theses do depreciate (looking to keep for as long as possible 5 years +) thank to all the guys who gave me there comments. Might have a new car soon
Old 02 June 2009, 11:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donmojo
checked the car out seems to be alright no real problems spotted haggled with the dealer and got a decent price as well as six months warranty. Not willing to go down too much with the six months warranty. Good low mileage, full service history 1 previous mature owner. Hopefully all going well will buy after a couple of checks. I know I will not be getting much when I sell because cars like theses do depreciate (looking to keep for as long as possible 5 years +) thank to all the guys who gave me there comments. Might have a new car soon

Good luck mate, it is a nice car but after all the comments on here I would be inclined to walk away .. something just doesn't sit right ..
Old 02 June 2009, 03:53 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donmojo
did you find out why the steering wheel has been changed? if it has been added after a bump to keep the cost of the repair down the what else did they scrimp on?
its something I'd be very concerned about, it does look nice but I'd be inclined to look elswhere
Old 03 June 2009, 09:14 AM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

got my uncle who is a mechanic to check the car out no problems (hopefully), the dealer said he got the car as it is. Looks like it had a bump at the front but not a major problem nothing to affect the car too much but had to change the steering wheel and bumper.
Still a very nice car.
Old 03 June 2009, 02:23 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Very surprised if a bump hard enough to set the airbag off hadn't affected the car in some way. Also the fact it isn't recorded looks ropey.

Did someone say it was a JDM? If so it could well ahve had a smash in Japan which wouldn't be recorded on a HPI check.

Hope it works out but it isn't sitting well chap.

5t.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:12 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

I would not even look at a damaged reapaired car unless it was a lot cheaper than others around but the one your interested in isnt cheaper, if its not on the hpi register after the a bump which causes the airbag to go off the its been fixed up at a budget, and possibly not to any sort of insurance repaired standard either,

youd be better off looking for a car on the register as at least you know it been dealt with properly and it would be a lot cheaper,

I cant really say any more other than if you decide to buy it I hope it all goes well for you, but you could give yourself a better chance of having trouble free motoring,

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STi 4dr Saloon

check this one out, looks a lot better example, has the correct badges/bodywork/steering wheel etc,