Sponsored by:

FMIC fitting - Autobahn88

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 04:01 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC fitting - Autobahn88

I've bought on of the above and took the opportunity to have it fitted by a garage while they are replacing my engine in my MY98 STI. They have hit more than a few snags and I was wondering if any of you guys have had the same issues with this kit. I'm aware that there is a full fitting guide and have read it, i have also forwarded it on the garage for consumption.
The issues are as follows:-

The turbo outlet pipe fouls on the water pipe at the back of the engine (plus its not a 90 degree bend like in the instructions)

The same pipe fouls the actuator arm and the manifold inlet

It doesnt line up with the one that goes through the wing properly. Its lined up here but causes it to be well out at the other end

The cold air side pipe fouls the cam cover

We are not sure if the bonnet will shut until final fit and cant do this until the other issues are resolved.
I forgot to add that the car has IC water spray and we're not sure if the bottle will go back in.
Any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Andy.

Last edited by andy_s37; 17 May 2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 17 May 2009, 04:29 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Are you relocating the water spray to the front bumper? Im in this quandary myself, ive been told by two respected tuners its not worth the hassle. The water bottle for ic spray on mine is in front of the air box so will have to be junked or relocated, probably in the boot.
Old 17 May 2009, 05:50 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Yeah mate that was the plan but TBH I wasnt sure if it would be worth it as the distribution would be ****e as it would be mounted pretty close to the IC. Thats if I can get it to fit..........
Plus I'm not sure if I can be bothered with running the water hose and wires down the sill for the little benefit its worth.

I think I will get a lod of silicone bends, clips and tube and fit it on the drive next weekend with my dad. Dads always seem to come to the rescue eh?

Andy.
Old 17 May 2009, 05:57 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

u need to cut the pipes and fit silicone hoses in place to make it fit.

my kit for already fitted to a previous car but i still had to make adjustments on mine.

the guy before em alos ovaled the pipe that goes down past the cam cover for more room.

doesnt hinder air flow, but alot more room.

but..... it doesnt look the best as i think he done it in a vice.

im gonna get them wrapped tho, so no1 will notice.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:49 PM
Brett_555_Sti
Scooby Regular

Have you got the right kit ie: for the later classic, autobahn make both, the holes through the inner wing are different, but as above they normally need cutting and shutting.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:59 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i have the earlier kit, but the redesigned one is different to the old one, where you have the 90 degree bend i have a separate pipe for that and are joined with extra sillicone piping, this is the best pic i have anyway.

Last edited by hux309; 17 May 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:01 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

These things amaze me! I've NEVER heard of a story of any make of FMIC fitting properley.

I had a Hybrid one on my old 96WRX and the garage had murder fitting it..needed all sorts of silicone hoses etc to make it fit.I feel like making some myself!
Old 17 May 2009, 10:03 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

My old one...

Old 17 May 2009, 10:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
These things amaze me! I've NEVER heard of a story of any make of FMIC fitting properley.
I think this was why my ab88 fmic was a redesign, it saved for all the cutting and hassle, i believe andy has the older design.

My kit fitted on very easily, the hassle was all the cutting the front bumper needed.

One big gripe though they redesigned it but the silly sods forgot to design an outlet for the dv!!!
Luckily i have an ex raf welder nearby who did a cracking job with a bit of ally.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:19 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Arrrrrrrrr righty
Old 17 May 2009, 10:24 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

You see where the bend is on yours my top running pipe ends and instead i have a cast 90 degree pipe which runs down to the turbo, as others have said you will probably need to cut your 90 degree pipe off and have a play with some silicone piping.

Are you intending on using the original jubilee clips, if they're anything like mine they will be nowhere near up to the job, by yourself some mikalor supra or similar clips, tons of them on ebay.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:39 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

I've email scoobyworld with all the relevant pictures and told them basically "it dont fit!". I've found a place that does the hose I think i will need and its going to cost about £40-£60. I know its not a huge amount but at the end of the day I have bought something that is advertised as fitting my car, why should I be out of pocket? Also I am going to be charged by the garage for the time taken to find that the kit doesnt fit so I'm going to be out of pocket here too. I've used Scoobyworld for a few different things now and always found them great to deal with, I just hope they dont let themselves down now and look after a returning customer the way that they should.

Andy.
Old 17 May 2009, 10:43 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Good luck Andy....I know it's not much mate but i'm not far away if you ever need help
Old 18 May 2009, 10:22 AM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Alan thanks for that mate . I've had a n email back off scoobyworld confirming that it is the correct kit that I have and they say that they have never had any issues fitting them........... They are going to get their techy to have a look at the photos and get back to me via phone. If they cant see any problems with the kit and they will give me a reasonalbe price I may get them to fit it.

Will keep ya posted
Andy.
Old 18 May 2009, 05:01 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

I've had a call back off scoobyworld this afternoon and cant fault the customer service . Hopefully the I/C should be on at the weekend as I've requested some extra hose connectors for when I cut the pipework. They said that they dont usually have any problems but do have to do a bit of jiggery pokery with the kits. I've opted to fit it myself and will request assitance if we come unstuck........

Cheers
Andy.
Old 18 May 2009, 06:24 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Nice one