Sponsored by:

Thinking of gettin an impreza.

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2009, 11:56 AM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of gettin an impreza.

Hi all this is my first post, ive been thinking of getting a scooby for a while, but due to my age the insruance is just ridiculous. Ive come across a few of Subaru Impreza WRX Turbo IMPORT cheap to insure group 9 on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-May-09 17:45:58 BST) these on ebay, wrx, that are regesterd as GL's this one says its because they are imports, it does sound like a bit of bull**** to me, but could anyone shed any light on this?

The insruance on that car is less that im paying know on an ZR, but i wouldnt want to crash and then not being able to claim due to the person not notiftying the DVLA its a wrx turbo.

thanks

Matt
Old 10 May 2009, 12:00 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

he is bluffing.

Not all imports are GL. this is a very grey area.

There were a few GL's that were taken back to be turned into Turbos as they were not enough and subsequently did not change the logbook.

Some believe this is very very dodgy, but some say it is legitimate.

IMHO, its a turbo model, therefore you need to tell DVLA that it is a turbo otherwise you will invalidate your insurance. But some say that it is DVLA's fault and that you will be ok.
Old 10 May 2009, 12:21 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You MAY get away with insuring it as a 'GL', but if you were involved in a big accident, or worse still, in a death, you're insurance company would back out very quickly. So, in essence, you may get insurance for it, but the chances are it's worthless.
Old 10 May 2009, 01:22 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevie-Sport
he is bluffing.

Not all imports are GL. this is a very grey area.

There were a few GL's that were taken back to be turned into Turbos as they were not enough and subsequently did not change the logbook.

Some believe this is very very dodgy, but some say it is legitimate.

IMHO, its a turbo model, therefore you need to tell DVLA that it is a turbo otherwise you will invalidate your insurance. But some say that it is DVLA's fault and that you will be ok.

Christ, the fool even has baby on board stickers and it is effectively uninsured.

Spot in, if you are involved in any accident you will find you are not insured, it could cost you your car, points, fine and also repairs to the 3rd party vehicle (if there is one) and personal injury. You leave yourself open to all sorts of problems.

It is wrong, do not do it!

The owner knows that the car is insured incorrectly, I would worry about buying a car from such a person in the first place, seems happy to cheat and lie.

Last edited by The Zohan; 10 May 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10 May 2009, 02:07 PM
Dowsie WRX
Scooby Regular

I looked into this when i bought my 1st scooby 7 years ago. I wanted a turbo but couldn't get insured as was only 20 at the time with zero no claims.
In the end i bought an Impreza sport, drove that for a year and then treated myself to a turbo version once i could get insured.

There is a nice looking one on Piston Heads at the mo.
Subaru : Subaru impreza sport special 2.0 AWD

Good luck in whatever decision you make, but just note the comments above re: Turbo's insured as GL's. It will probably invalidate your insurance should you need it!
Old 10 May 2009, 02:57 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

Agreed.

If i were you, i would buy an Impreza Sport for a year or two, then once you get some NCB, then go Turbo. It isnt worth buying a GL, which is infact a turbo, cause you will fooked if you have an accident.

Most people who cant afford turbos go down the sport road.

Ignorance is no excuse.
Old 10 May 2009, 05:47 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

wouldnt touch it with a barge pole , one the insurance its worth **** and if u did get caught or crashed the book would be thrown at u pretty quick.

anyone who sells a car stating this is a fool imo
Old 12 May 2009, 02:10 AM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the comments guys. I was looking at getting a sport or a GL for now, but 0-60 in 9.9s parkers says. Thats slower than my MG, although the impreza would handle, look and sound better, getting beat of the line by a chaved up saxo etc doesnt sound like fun lol.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:13 PM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

i brought the white subaru impreza sport that one that was on ph and driving it you could never look back although you gotta remember to always top the oil up
Old 12 May 2009, 06:35 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

buying a sport would be a massive improvement on an MG any day.

Buy a sport, not a GL. would be better suited for you i recon
Old 12 May 2009, 07:25 PM
matt_uk
Scooby Newbie

I was looking at the sports, but the problem is that churchill wont insure me on one, and as ive got half a year no claims built up with them i dont really want to leave them and start again. Im only 20, and want to build up my no claims fast.

They would insure me on a GL or GX though, which is odd as the sport and GX seem the same power? Whats the differences?
Old 12 May 2009, 07:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seller is a moron basically, the car is incorrectly registered as something its not.
A brief history on the "GL".
Back in 1993, Prodrive brought in 6 Red WRX's for the purpose of rallying, 3 were stripped and made into rally cars, 3 were sold through the dealer network.
Now there were never any WRX's on the books back in those days (and these are the only 3 "GL's" registered in the UK correctly due to this, but you will still pay grp 20 insurance on them), so they were registered as GL's.
No other WRX has been registered as a GL correctly after that, they will have been registered as WRX's because by then there was WRX's on DVLA's books so they could be properly registered.
AFAIK, only 1 Red "GL" remains.

Tony
Old 12 May 2009, 08:12 PM
scoobmeister
Scooby Regular

"getting beat of the line by a chaved up saxo etc doesnt sound like fun lol"

If thats the only reason your buying a Subaru, then I wouldn't bother as your "No Claims" will be gone in no time!
Old 12 May 2009, 08:55 PM
TOMMY_TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The seller is a moron basically, the car is incorrectly registered as something its not.
A brief history on the "GL".
Back in 1993, Prodrive brought in 6 Red WRX's for the purpose of rallying, 3 were stripped and made into rally cars, 3 were sold through the dealer network.
Now there were never any WRX's on the books back in those days (and these are the only 3 "GL's" registered in the UK correctly due to this, but you will still pay grp 20 insurance on them), so they were registered as GL's.
No other WRX has been registered as a GL correctly after that, they will have been registered as WRX's because by then there was WRX's on DVLA's books so they could be properly registered.
AFAIK, only 1 Red "GL" remains.

Tony
how can you tell them six from the others?
Old 12 May 2009, 09:18 PM
ESGN
Scooby Regular

I bought an import '96 WRX wagon last November. Fully registered and insured as WRX.
Old 12 May 2009, 09:25 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

When I imported my WRX back in 2000, the logbook had it down as a GL.
It has always been insured as a WRX (that is what it is, afterall) and when I moved, I took the opportunity to include a cover note to the DVLA to ask them to change the car type.
The V5 came back with WRX on it.

Oddly, some insurance companies still list it as a GL!!