Sponsored by:

car jacking/ turbo timers a thought

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2002, 04:46 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I think one of the main fears where car jacking is concerned focuses on 'risk to human life/health'.

There are a number of similar solutions to the one you suggested, but the risk lies with the thieves realising that more owners have such devices, and so go to further lengths to obtain the cars. This might result in more people being bundled into boots, or worse.

I guess the the discussions centres on which is most valuable, your car or your wellbeing.

It would be nice to develop non-human dependent systems, that can actively track and immobilise stolen cars, most likely derived from existing systems like Tracker/Trackstar. The idea being that you find a mechanism (read method) by which the system auto-detects your car is stolen, and activates a shutdown sequence, safely.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has ideas/knowledge around this subject, I'm pretty sure most of the performance car owners on Scoobynet would be interested in contributing, if someone could put their ideas into practice?

- Jon

{edited for spelling errors!}

[Edited by scoob_dood - 3/2/2002 4:48:39 PM]
Old 03 February 2002, 07:02 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

This system is now available. A work colleagues son who drives an Impreza Turbo has bought a system that works as follows:

There is a small receiver that is installed in the car with a keypad (similar to the one in the glovebox for the standard alarm)
He carries in his wallet a credit card sized transponder that activates the vehicle imobiliser and alarm if the vehicle is driven off after 30 seconds without this transponder being within 10 metres of the vehicle. Therefore if he is carjacked as soon as the thieving scum drive off within 10 metres the system is triggered and after 30 seconds the car is imobilised by the standard alarm system. Sounds great, so needless to say I have asked him to get me full details. Watch this space......

Yorkie

[Edited by Yorkie - 3/2/2002 7:03:06 PM]
Old 02 March 2002, 04:10 PM
subster
Scooby Regular

if on being sat in the car( with engine on) at lights etc and someone tries to car jack you, if you noticed early enough and without them noticing you pressed the turbo timer button on the alarm fob, you could step out the car and watch as the crooks get in then a couple of mins later the car stops, the alarm is set off and 3 stages of immobilisation take place
If the car engine is still running when you get out the robbers wouldn't look for keys
Would this be the case or am I talking cr@p
Old 02 March 2002, 06:24 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Red face

What about steering locks ???
Old 02 March 2002, 06:28 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Steering locks as a form of post-carjacking immobilisation ?

- Jon
Old 02 March 2002, 06:54 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

It would nice if some sort of transponder system could be used where the driver wears something that prevents immobilisation but as soon as the transponder is removed from the car, ie driver gets out, immobilisation takes place after a couple of minutes.
Old 02 March 2002, 07:27 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Clifford do a anti hijack system and have done so for some time. I have a concept 600 with it on been installed for 2 years.

I belive they do the system seperatly though you'd have to look it up. It does the job no doubt, i won't go into how it works for security reasons but is a excellent idea.

Old 02 March 2002, 10:09 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Blackjax does the job it was designed for it's just a little too manual.

The credit card transponder is a far neater solution, I think it is an option on the S-Class and the ignition key is replaced by an engine start/stop button.

Old 02 March 2002, 10:18 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

I guess the most ideal situation would be to clamp down on the stealing of cars, and the market for stolen cars ...

... and of course, most of all I'd like to see world peace ;-)

- jon
Old 02 March 2002, 10:26 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep, I would love that type of world too.
Old 02 March 2002, 10:59 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Scoob Dood has got it exactly right IMHO. But that's the future.

In the meantime, Clifford BackJax and some sort of current tracking device, is the best available at the mo, I think. BlackJax can be fitted as an add-on to any system for about £200.

We all love our cars, but compared to your own or your family's safety, it is nothing. Totally insignificant. If I ever get car-jacked or anything else unpleasant, my Scoob will be immediately replace by a ten-year-old Fiesta. And there is a real danger that extra security will simply be surpassed by an extra greater degree of violence.

Here's an alternative idea. Either make your car so 'stealth' that it attracts no unwanted attention at all. Like the bloke I saw recently in a silver Evo 7 which was badged as an Audi Turbo Diesel At the other extreme, who's going to nick an Evo 6 Mac in scarlet and white? Likewise a Scoob dressed in full World Rally 555 livery? But could you live with that every day?

Best regards,

Richard.