my first scooby

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2009, 01:09 PM
jdnixon88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first scooby

Hey all,

Ive just joined this forum because im looking to buy my first scooby early this summer... ive always wanted a first generation wrx sti and am looking the version IV - VI.

I am just looking for advice about what to look out for... e.g common problems with these models and general things to watch out for when viewing.

Im a real newbie to this and any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
JD
Old 05 May 2009, 01:25 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Firstly welcome!

Secondly, I can't offer you any advice on what to look out for - but there are loads of people on here that can.

However I would definately say DO NOT get caught up in the moment, buy with your head, not your heart.

I had to drag my hubby away from the first Scoob we went to look at & eventually he did agree it was the right decision!

Its like a new house, when you find the right one you'll know!

Good luck,

oh, and once you have bought & start driving your first Scooby. no, the smile doesn't go!!
Old 05 May 2009, 03:41 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

got an insurance quote yet? sometimes a massive hurdle that gets overlooked
Old 05 May 2009, 06:54 PM
jdnixon88
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the welcome.

well my cousin is a real petrol head and runs a car club and he assures me that he can help me with the insurance.

Im really just wanting some advice about what to look for...

if you were starting over with the knowledge of imprezas that you have now... what would you tell yourself?

Just little things... would you get an untouched example for instance? would you steer clear of certain modifications, advice about imports etc

Cheers guys
Old 05 May 2009, 07:23 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.

TBH the scoobs are a very hard car to write a buyers guide for.

Basically the scoobs are bullitproof if kept and driven well. So the number one thing you need to look for is how the car "is".

I bought mine off a 50 year old dude who imported it new, no modifications and always garaged and tons of money spent on it. This is the deal you want, they ARE out there.

I did put an offer down on one earlier that morning which thank god got rejected, as compared to the one i bought it was chalk and cheese.

Id personally stay away from any stupid ugly mods, and get standard if possible, or one which was someones baby. Keep an eye out of uprated pads and camber changes, you DONT want one which has been tracked..

try and get one with the fewest owners possible. Its a good sign thats its been looked after.

Thats the main thing. Try and find a well looked after one and you will have no problems.

If u cant find that one and go buy from a dodgy garage as i almost did. Typical problems are big end, turbo seals, piston slap when cold, piston slap when warm, shagged suspension as our roads are ****, warped/cracked disks if they have been abused on a track, smoke on start up, smoke on boost, overboost/creep.

Bear in mind if u go and do things like decat, induction kit, fmic etc on the STI's they NEED a remap. If it hasnt been done, its a good sign the old owner didnt give to much
of a ****. All a judgement call.

Personally i would buy one off here with a good rep from someone with 1000+ posts

If i decided to buy one with a few mods i would go for. Uprated brembo/ap's, coilovers, different ECU, and some gauges.

So yeah, summary, condition/looked after is more important than things to look out for.

ooo. also forgot. Crash damage. If u need tips on looking for crash damage i can write something quick, or google will im sure help.
Old 05 May 2009, 07:48 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Hi ya and welcome, I recently bought a 97 WRX Wagon and I'm pretty impressed. It doesn't have the refinements of my previous drive (Audi) but its more of a drivers car and I'm loving it. I looked at a good few and ended up going back to the first one as it was head and shoulders above the others (in price too lol) but it had low miles, just 1 previous owner and is in great nick. As someone said earlier, don't rush and when you bump into "your" car you'll kinda know you have.

(Good luck face)
Old 05 May 2009, 08:23 PM
jdnixon88
Scooby Newbie

cheers masterscoob... thats just the sort of advice i was looking for and upiker your situation seems testament to the quality of that advice.

If i find some potential buys ill be sure to post them on here for you all to c what you think.

Cheers again
Old 05 May 2009, 08:57 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah.

Its advice i didnt stick to myself. Saw the 2nd one and put an offer down lol cos they are awesome. Only got lucky cos the guy rejected my offer. I hope he never sold it!
Old 05 May 2009, 09:03 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

welcome mate
Old 05 May 2009, 10:40 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

check the oil does it look new like its been cared for? and check the oil filler cap for condensation and check the coolent level (head gasket related probs)
Old 05 May 2009, 10:50 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

test drive as many as you can, make sure you are starting it from cold.

don't be afraid to ask the seller questions, ask about any mods.

how old are you by the way? have you been driving long?
Old 06 May 2009, 12:08 AM
jdnixon88
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys... really very much appreciated.
Ah, i didnt think it would be long before i was asked my age ..

Im only 21... but ive been driving farm vehichles since i was 15, ive held a full moped license t 16 and passed my driving test in little over a month... always been enthusiastic about motors... i guess most lads are!

Im no great driver... just love cars... and hopefully will learn a little more with my first 'real' car.

Thanks again for your help all.
Old 06 May 2009, 12:22 AM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jdnixon88
Thanks for all the helpful comments guys... really very much appreciated.
Ah, i didnt think it would be long before i was asked my age ..

Im only 21... but ive been driving farm vehichles since i was 15, ive held a full moped license t 16 and passed my driving test in little over a month... always been enthusiastic about motors... i guess most lads are!

Im no great driver... just love cars... and hopefully will learn a little more with my first 'real' car.

Thanks again for your help all.
oh dear!

i would definitely get a quote sooner rather than later, UK turbo models would be slightly cheaper on insurance.

sadly due to your age i think you might have troubles with insurance problem is they don't asses people case by case and they are going to see 21 as a liability.

if you have bags of money its not gonna be a problem

let us know how you get on....
Old 06 May 2009, 01:08 AM
jdnixon88
Scooby Newbie

yeah insurance is going to be a real bugger... its never escaped me that its going to cost me an arm and a leg but the figures add up and my cousin is helping me sort out a good insurance scheme ... so he assures me. so fingers crossed ill find the perfect first scoob and life will be peachy... ill let you know how i get on.