Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modify UK Turbo, or Buy Newage Sti?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2009, 09:52 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modify UK Turbo, or Buy Newage Sti?

Hi all

I've been getting a craving for another Impreza. I was browsing the classifieds yesterday and spotted a few PPP'd 03/04 ish UK Stis. I even phoned my insurer for a quote to see if it would be feasible, so I'm definetly serious.

Today though, I've also been thinking about maybe buying a mint MY99/00 UK Turbo and just modifying it with suspension goodies, a panel filter, pump, exhaust, and remap. This option seems great because I was pretty attached to the Terzo I owned, and had some great times with it...and in it .

But am I looking back with rose tinted glasses? Do I really want to modify a UK Turbo to circa 280bhp and then put up with not being able to use it properly due to the weak drivetrain etc, when I could have a car with 300bhp and a bulletproof drivetrain for a few thousand pounds more?

Looking for any opinions, so they're all welcome!
Old 04 May 2009, 10:05 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL i knew you wouldn't last 5 mintues mate

I love my UK in sonic blue Can easily make it quicker just takes £££ but i know mines been looked after so that is peace of mind.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:06 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

IMHO it's pointless to buy a UK spec car and then upgrade it when you could just buy yourself a classic STI to begin with.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:06 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day mate how much cash have you got?
Old 04 May 2009, 10:13 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
IMHO it's pointless to buy a UK spec car and then upgrade it when you could just buy yourself a classic STI to begin with.
Classic Sti is out of the question due to high insurance premiums. Believe it or not, all the quotes I've had have been sensible for a UK Sti, and ridiculous for an old import. I'm just approaching 22, so imports are a no no.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:16 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
LOL i knew you wouldn't last 5 mintues mate

I love my UK in sonic blue Can easily make it quicker just takes £££ but i know mines been looked after so that is peace of mind.
Well it's been longer than 5 minutes...just! Yeah, that's a tidy car you got. Very well looked after I'd say.

At the end of the day mate how much cash have you got?
About 9K at a push. I still want money there to run it with should something go badly wrong, and there are other things I want to spend my money on(work/career related).
Old 04 May 2009, 10:19 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

9K mate i'd be getting a blobeye STI with PPP..no contest! I thought you were gonna say 5/6K or summit! lol
Old 04 May 2009, 10:19 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
About 9K at a push. I still want money there to run it with should something go badly wrong, and there are other things I want to spend my money on(work/career related).
Obviously this is the reason I was considering a UK Turbo. The whole thing would cost less, and leave me with more extra cash there should I need it.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:20 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

i would say go for a nice "light" classic, and modify how you want it

than again i would say that as i have a modded UK car and i love it!

darc
Old 04 May 2009, 10:20 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

9K mate i'd be getting a blobeye STI with PPP..no contest! I thought you were gonna say 5/6K or summit! lol
They do look good!
Old 04 May 2009, 10:23 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Darc don't take this the wrong way mate but i'm suprised you got that much power from your car with those mods!

My 96WRX was pushing it at 320 with the same mods but with an uprated fuel pressure reg. and an uprated MAP sensor.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:24 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

They do look good!
Don't want to rub it in but being 28 i only pay £500 a year to insure my UK that's with all mods declared.The imports do shoot up though
Old 04 May 2009, 10:25 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

yeah, but with my mods i have seen loads floating about at 330 mark, can achieve the 280 on a td04
Old 04 May 2009, 10:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darc174
i would say go for a nice "light" classic, and modify how you want it

than again i would say that as i have a modded UK car and i love it!

darc
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as I said. I had a modded UK Turbo and it was fantastic - it was a great time in my life though, so I could be looking back with rose tinted specs on. But the UK Sti would be a better starting platform...

Don't want to rub it in but being 28 i only pay £500 a year to insure my UK that's with all mods declared.The imports do shoot up though
Cheers for that!

I would be paying £1600 fully comprehensive if I bought a PPP UK Sti. Not bad considering that a year or so ago I paid £1700 to insure my Terzo TPFT!

The good thing is I've got a clean license, 4 years no claims, live in a good area, and have previous experience with the Terzo.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:36 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darc174
yeah, but with my mods i have seen loads floating about at 330 mark, can achieve the 280 on a td04
Oh righty I think mine was pushing 100% duty on the TD05 at 320 that's all..thought yours might have been a hybrid? How's everything coping with that power? Gearbox etc..i'm after 300 in mine now but will have to get a TD05.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:39 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Most Defo the money your looking to spend can get you a nice Blob STI in the current car climate, best time to buy

"touch wood" Everything is going well in my car i dont blast the thing about so should be ok

darc
Old 04 May 2009, 11:19 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

With the prices of some mint UK classics just now, you could have bought and built your car for half your budget mate.

I have had four Classic UK Turbos and a Hawkeye STi and the more I think about it, the more I realise that the Classics were more fun in the twisty stuff.. and IMO a 99/00 model still looks pretty sharp with the crystal lights, revised bumpers etc.

The Blob STi undoubtedly would be a more reliable base to modify, you can pretty much bolt on 400bhp and not worry too much about major components going boom.. thats NOT something you could do on any Classic model IMO.

However, a 270/270 UK Classic would be very punchy and in the real world on a proper twisty backroad wouldn't be made to look silly against the above STi running c400bhp.. although throw in a few straight sections and you might have your work cut out to keep him in sight though.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 May 2009, 10:26 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for the newage STI its just a better all round car over a classic UK turbo tbh, nicer to drive, quicker, better gearbox/steering etc (feel as well as strength) and the improvements where they were needed (brakes especially).
8k will get you a nice one i think

Tony
Old 05 May 2009, 11:04 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

when I could have a car with 300bhp and a bulletproof drivetrain for a few thousand pounds more?
MY 03STI suffered rear diff failure at 64K, always serviced not even PPP'd.

Numerous other problems too including heater matrix failure and routine suspension failure including rear top mounts snapping.

Safely back in a reliable classic now. Better car all round for me to be honest. I think you now know my opinion
Old 05 May 2009, 11:05 AM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

STi, far better to begine with, more refined better brakes, gearbox.
Old 05 May 2009, 11:05 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Go for the newage STI .... nicer to drive....
Tony
Couldn't disagree more
Old 05 May 2009, 12:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Couldn't disagree more
You had a one off problem, now all classic UK turbo's suffered from, gearbox issues, clutch issues, engine issues, leaking issues (water ingress) soggy steering, crap brakes (do you wish me to continue with the rest of the car or is that enough for you?)

Tony
Old 05 May 2009, 01:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
You had a one off problem, now all classic UK turbo's suffered from, gearbox issues, clutch issues, engine issues, leaking issues (water ingress) soggy steering, crap brakes (do you wish me to continue with the rest of the car or is that enough for you?)

Tony
No, you stated as fact that an 03 STI is nicer to drive than a classic. I am saying that in my opnion it isn't. That has nothing to do with reliability. Even when the STI was working right it was too hard riding, had no low down power or torque and never felt glued to the road like my classics.

Oh and I have owned 4 classics completing over 300K in them combined. No dead engines, gearboxes or any of the other things you choose to write. Not saying some don't have those problems, but they are in my opinion a way better built car than the blobeyes and a lot of problems only arise by messing with them.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If insurance is an issue perhaps look at a Type RA - they are insured as a WRX which is basically what they are but lower geared and a different turbo.

You'll get STI performance for WRX insurance costs.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Classic Sti is out of the question due to high insurance premiums. Believe it or not, all the quotes I've had have been sensible for a UK Sti, and ridiculous for an old import. I'm just approaching 22, so imports are a no no.
I'm surprised at that, my insurance on my classic STI v2 was quite a bit less than my P1 - both (almost) standard cars. I'd have expected a load of performance mods to add more to your insurance than the fact the car is an import, and that you'd be better off with a standard classic STI than a modded UK.

Try Gary @ Keith Michaels, or someone at the Thatcham branch of A-plan (Grey Import Car Insurance Quote.) if you havent' already.

There's always the P1 itself, of course, which offers the best of all worlds (STI spec, UK model) - but good, reasonably priced ones are hard to find.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:57 PM
mr terzo
Scooby Regular

i run a uk classic also a terzo #282 which has 170,000miles runs 326/310 about as far as i was advised to go with a ty752 box . so i consontrated on making the car handle and stop.
i fitted eibach pro street coilovers ,eibach anti roll bars, polybush kit (dont mind servicing it and the extra noise) powerflex droplinks, strut braces ,perrin stout mounts , whiteline alk, roll centre adjustment kits ,steering rack bushes and a few other bits and pieces
braking is took care of by k-sport 8pot brakes 330mm discs and 2pot subaru calipers,290mm discs, goodridge hoses and 5.1 fliud.it stops and turns as good as i will ever need and friends with newage cars say the same

classics are reliable as long as they are looked after and are mapped properly. i had an apexi power fc fitted and mapped by zen performance over 40,000 miles running the above power no issues at all . its all down to personnel preferance drive both back to back if you can get chance and see which you prefer

Last edited by mr terzo; 05 May 2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05 May 2009, 03:15 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I also agree that the Classics I've owned drove nicer than my Hawkeye STi which felt edgy and hard to balance on the throttle round corners. Also, they are severely stiff (which is a good/bad thing) driving around on the Great British roads which can become really tiresome if you're just trying to make general progress from A to B and arent in the mood to play.

I agree that the interior of a Classic isn't as well built as the newage cars for definite... but if we're honest, the Newages are hardly the last word in fit and finish!!

Sounds like a sensible idea to get back into a good Classic if you're planning to use some of the remaining cash available for work/career... then in a few years time you can go out and treat yourself to one of the lovely new STi Hatchbacks.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 May 2009, 05:05 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I also agree that the Classics I've owned drove nicer than my Hawkeye STi which felt edgy and hard to balance on the throttle round corners. Also, they are severely stiff (which is a good/bad thing) driving around on the Great British roads which can become really tiresome if you're just trying to make general progress from A to B and arent in the mood to play.

I agree that the interior of a Classic isn't as well built as the newage cars for definite... but if we're honest, the Newages are hardly the last word in fit and finish!!

Sounds like a sensible idea to get back into a good Classic if you're planning to use some of the remaining cash available for work/career... then in a few years time you can go out and treat yourself to one of the lovely new STi Hatchbacks.

Cheers,
Grant
No thanks.

Right, these replies have given me a lot to think about. But given the fact I like tinkering about with my cars, and all the other reasons mentioned above, the Classic is seeming like a better option for me. Also, I hate running cars like this on a tight budget, so the UK Turbo seems ideal.

I'll keep this thread updated...I've already spotted a nice standard, low mileage, MY2000 UK Turbo in the classifieds that I like the look of!
Old 05 May 2009, 05:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Ahhh, one more thing about the 99/00 UK Turbos...

How bad is the MAF issue? I don't really want to be replacing it every 6 months! The MAF went in my Terzo, but I understand that when the one in the facelifted cars goes, the result can be engine failure. So would a Simtek ECU be necessary?
Old 05 May 2009, 05:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'necessary'. Desirable, perhaps - though there are those who reckon the Simtek isn't without problems of its own.

I have an EcuTek Delta Dash, which is a data logging device that can be used to monitor and record the outputs from all the engine's sensors. I plan to use it to keep an eye on my MAF once a month or so, to spot when its output starts to drift from where it should be. That way I'll get some advance warning of impending failure and should be able to replace it before it causes further damage.

Quick Reply: Modify UK Turbo, or Buy Newage Sti?