Sponsored by:

European driving advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2009, 12:01 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European driving advice

Afternoon guys. I'm planning on doing a 9 days tour in Europe in summer and need some advice on what to buy, what needs doing to my car to compy with the laws over there (lights etc) and anything you might want to pass on from your own experiences. I've heard that to get my lights pointing correctly I need to get subaru to do the work so that's one thing I need clarification on.

Cheers

David
Old 02 May 2009, 12:37 PM
danog
Scooby Regular

Hi David,
Ive done a bit of driving on the continent. with regard to your lights I just buy a pair of beam adjuster stickers and stink them on to the lens. you will also need a spare light bulb kit, a GB sticker if you havent got one on your number plate and a hi vis vest if your driving in france and spain. if you are going around that area I recomend a drive over the melou suspention bridge. the highest in the world. a hell of a bit of engineering (designed by a english man).
Dan.
Old 02 May 2009, 12:53 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I have hid lights on mine so I can't use the stickers and hopefully you don't mean I'll have to carry a spare one of those as they aren't cheap!
Old 02 May 2009, 01:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i suspect to fully comply with the law you would need spare HID lights (are HID light legal everywhere you are going?)

I think if you get stopped you will be relying on the police not to notice when you show him your spare bulb kit (you can get ready "made" ones in Halfords).

you need a warning triangle too, and as has been said high viz jackets -- one per person who needs to get out of the car should you break down

A first aid kit is compulsory in most countries

by law you also need to take your original reg document (although I don’t usually

I always do a dummy wheel change (especially in a new -to you- car) in the comfort of my own garage -- just to make sure I have all the necessary tools etc should I have to do one a 2 in the morning on a French motorway

Recovery – although check the policy some will only recover to the value of the car, so if you are at the tip of Italy in a broken down car worth £1800 they will scrap it and give you the cash

The AA are not allowed to work on many European motorways – you get towed off by the contactor

And yes the Millau Viaduct is awesome (designed by Norman Foster)
Old 03 May 2009, 01:54 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Where you thinking of going mate?

I'm doing the same in July. Going for a 2 week drive, through France, to Italy, then through to Slovakia, and back across the top of Europe back to sunny England. Doing it in the Impreza as well, so will cost a fair wedge in fuel
Old 03 May 2009, 05:07 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

I'm going to the Dordogne in june , can anyone recommend a good euro breakdown cover , used the AA past 4 yrs but they are asking crazy money this time . I'm now worried about the HID situation , are they illegal in France as my JDM Blobeye has them as std ?
Old 03 May 2009, 06:03 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko
Where you thinking of going mate?

I'm doing the same in July. Going for a 2 week drive, through France, to Italy, then through to Slovakia, and back across the top of Europe back to sunny England. Doing it in the Impreza as well, so will cost a fair wedge in fuel
I was thinking of signing up to the latest Petrolhead Nirvana tour but 2.6k for me and the missus can be bette spent now. Hey ho
Old 03 May 2009, 06:34 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Argos stock an RAC European driving kit, though not cheap at 29.99, contains carry bag, Triangle,First Aid kit, Hi Vis vest, GB stickers, Beam deflectors (though I suspect not HID) and spare bulb kit HTH...
Old 03 May 2009, 06:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Read your manual, as many HID headlights can be adjusted without the need for stick-on deflectors. There is a guide for Skoda ones HERE which I know isn't much use to you, but it shows how some cars have this.
Old 03 May 2009, 10:19 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
Argos stock an RAC European driving kit, though not cheap at 29.99, contains carry bag, Triangle,First Aid kit, Hi Vis vest, GB stickers, Beam deflectors (though I suspect not HID) and spare bulb kit HTH...
Cheers for the heads up