Sponsored by:

WRXs - which one...

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 12:10 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WRXs - which one...

I have got someone coming down this Saturday who is interested in buying my Civic Type-R and if I manage to sell it then I will be looking for a Scooby almost instantly and will be planning a few trips on Sunday and Monday.

Now after oooohing and aaaahing, I have decided to go for a remapped WRX (not Prodrive as people have said they don't really achieve the 265bhp figure and a custom remap is the better bet for more power). The STi is still in the back of my head but it looks like the WRX is the more sensible option for my budget.

So I've found two ads that really appeal to me. Both cars are already remapped and from the photos/descriptions and emails I have sent - they both look like good uns.

So which one looks the best out of the two below???

Subaru : Impreza WRX PPP + ECO TECH upgrade 290bhp

Subaru : wrx uk 03. £1000's spent ,fsh,
Old 30 April 2009, 12:37 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

For that budget you could get a decent bugeye/leggy blobeye STI

You obviously want more power than a standard WRX. I would rather have a standard STI than a remapped WRX

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/823875.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1002552.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/686294.htm

Last edited by Cocker; 30 April 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 30 April 2009, 12:44 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

I don't want a bugeye - it has to be a blobeye.

I also want a remapped WRX but can understand where you are coming from about the STi. However, the thinking is, is that for my budget I would be getting a very good WRX rather than a thrashed STi.
Old 30 April 2009, 12:48 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

I've noticed that black car and it looks a stunner. However, one of the reasons I am selling the CTR is because I don't want a black car anymore.

Its got to be WR Blue.
Old 30 April 2009, 12:53 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your thinking is flawed.

This ad is hopeful to say the least and reads 'thrashed' tbh.

Other one is running an induction with no mention of a remap.... fueling, ignition etc...avoid IMHO.

Go STi and do your homework

Last edited by 53; 30 April 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 30 April 2009, 01:13 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Your thinking is flawed.

Other one is running an induction with no mention of a remap.... fueling, ignition etc...avoid IMHO.

Thanks for that. I am after all opinions so I really appreciate these comments.

I have decided WRX is for me so what does everyone think of this one then?

Peak Performance Cars - Showroom - Used Cars In The West Midlands
Old 30 April 2009, 03:17 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Agreed the words ecotech, scoobieworld, bailey dump valve, the £1800 private plate and superchip do it for me!

Also that he's willing to p/ex for near enough any car is worrying also
Old 30 April 2009, 03:21 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cocker
Agreed the words ecotech, scoobieworld, bailey dump valve, the £1800 private plate and superchip do it for me!

Also that he's willing to p/ex for near enough any car is worrying also

I'll give that a miss then. Thanks.
Old 30 April 2009, 03:25 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

What does everyone think about this one (the WR Blue one half way down the page)?

Does it look a good un?

Peak Performance Cars - Showroom - Used Cars In The West Midlands
Old 30 April 2009, 04:17 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

link doesnt work mate
Old 30 April 2009, 04:23 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

link doesnt work mate
It should do.
Old 30 April 2009, 06:14 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one you mean ?

2004 04 Reg SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX PRODRIVE PACK FULL HISTORY STI SPOILER

Shaun
Old 30 April 2009, 06:39 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Thanks Shaun - yes that one.
Old 30 April 2009, 10:20 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not meaning to offend WRX owners but if you wanted a car with more power than a standard WRX, then you would regret not buying an STi !!

A 265bhp wrx is still not going to be as quick as a 265 STi.

The STi has 6 close ratio gears, quicker steering rack, better suspension, better brakes, and is far easier to get more power from.
Old 30 April 2009, 10:44 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

from a '52 plate WRX PPP owner here - go for the STI! (i wish i had!)

its not about the engine - the handling in an STI is much better, brakes are much better

but if you do choose a WRX, that one looks fairly clean and tidy. The rear spoiler isn't an STI (or even an STI copy) though, but most people who don't know about scoobs would mistake it for one just because of its height.....
Old 01 May 2009, 11:17 AM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

For that budget you could get a decent bugeye/leggy blobeye STI

You obviously want more power than a standard WRX. I would rather have a standard STI than a remapped WRX
Yup, +1. That is what I did, my STi is still standard and now I am getting a bit itchy for more - if I had tuned my WRX then it would be getting expensive at this point.
Old 03 May 2009, 11:29 AM
jreedy27
Scooby Newbie

I own a tuned civic type r that's running 234bhp and i'll be selling up in a couple of months, the natural progression for me is to go on to scoobie ownership but it would have to be a wrx sti that i'll be having next, my friend took me out in his 04 plate wrx sti scoobie that had the pro drive package on which made it up to 320bhp and all i can say is wow. Seriously mate after moving on from a ctr you have to got for the wrx sti
Old 03 May 2009, 11:47 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Sounds like you have the money burning a hole in your pocket. Do some research on here & SIDC and do your self a favour & look at as many as possible before you part with your hard earned. Buying a car from a respected member on here would be my first port of call if I was in the market.
Old 03 May 2009, 01:50 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I had to laugh when I saw £4k for an engagement ring. The only ring I would pay £4k for is a scoobykey ring that comes with a free scooby!

Last edited by Jonnys3; 03 May 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:34 AM
CRABBY1972
Scooby Regular

have a look in the for sale general section at mine for sale m8
Old 04 May 2009, 04:39 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marx Mcrae
Im not meaning to offend WRX owners but if you wanted a car with more power than a standard WRX, then you would regret not buying an STi !!

The STi has 6 close ratio gears, quicker steering rack, better suspension, better brakes, and is far easier to get more power from.
a ppp wrx would be faster than a sti with the same power The sti has a lot more weight and the 5 speed makes a great everyday car and pulls like a train in 5th gear. If your looking at a remapped wrx then you would have even more of a advantage over a sti.

depends how and where the car is being used, as a normal day to day car the wrx will be better. if you are after track day car then maybe not
Old 04 May 2009, 06:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

[quote=Marx Mcrae;8675794]Im not meaning to offend WRX owners but if you wanted a car with more power than a standard WRX, then you would regret not buying an STi !!

What do you base that statement on? The WRX is lighter than the STI as a starter.
Old 04 May 2009, 06:29 PM
Scooby Senior

The old arguments are the best ones.

I have owned a 53plate WRX PPP, then had it remapped to c.275bhp. suspension upgrades, brakes bla bla bla. Brilliant car, loved it to bits, cost a foofin fortune to get it to spec.

I now own an STi Spec D, superior in every way. END.

Why would you buy a WRX when for little extra money you can have all these thrown in with an STi.

Brembo Brakes
Larger ARB's
Stronger gearbox
Bigger Injectors
Bigger Turbo
Inverted Strut Suspension
Bigger Wheels
Aero Package
Bigger Intercooler
Better Exhaust
Decatted Uppipe

I could go on

A PPP'd WRX is no where near as good as the standard STi, a remapped/expensively modded WRX gets close. The fact remains bang for buck the WRX is inferior to the STi in the current used car climate and no weight saving makes up for the gapping differences in performance parts between the STi and WRX.
Old 04 May 2009, 06:40 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Do you lot not read the threads? The guy says he wants a Blob WRX so all he gets is loads of replies saying get a Bug or get an STI!

I've a Blob WRX, it does everything I want a car to. Keep looking mate, there's plenty out there.
Old 04 May 2009, 06:50 PM
Scooby Senior

Your thinking is flawed.

Originally Posted by Flaps
Do you lot not read the threads? The guy says he wants a Blob WRX so all he gets is loads of replies saying get a Bug or get an STI!

I've a Blob WRX, it does everything I want a car to. Keep looking mate, there's plenty out there.
Yes, but to be fair the OP doesn't read like he fully appreciates the scooby market or reality of choosing between WRX and STi.

The WRX as a more appropriate daily car is a myth and book bhp figures tell only half the story IMHO. You can't go wrong with either choice, but for the money, so much more is attainable.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:02 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Yes, but to be fair the OP doesn't read like he fully appreciates the scooby market or reality of choosing between WRX and STi.

The WRX as a more appropriate daily car is a myth and book bhp figures tell only half the story IMHO. You can't go wrong with either choice, but for the money, so much more is attainable.

when evo teated the hawkeye they siad there pick was the WRX better all round car,
all of those things can be bettered if the person whats to

Brembo Brakes
Larger ARB's
Stronger gearbox
Bigger Injectors
Bigger Turbo
Inverted Strut Suspension
Bigger Wheels
Aero Package
Bigger Intercooler
Better Exhaust
Decatted Uppipe

not saying your wrong but its down to what you want from the car. sti also have a worse ride mpg etc etc its not black and white. i am going for 500 bhp and am very happy with my wrx
Old 04 May 2009, 07:16 PM
Scooby Senior

In the Bug/Blob debate the STi has a decatted up pipe the WRX does not. The STi has a nicer exhaust rather than the Pea shooter. The Sti has the Bigger Spoiler, Front Winglets and side skirts. All true and very often the first bits to be modified by wanna be STi owners that have WRX's.

As I said both good cars but in the current climate you would be mad to pass up an STi for a WRX which is inferior in spec until you throw more money at it.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:51 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Final bit of advice (again):

Buy the best STI you can find and don't get a WRX as it is clear as day you want what an STI can delivery. A WRX is a fantastic car but for what you want only an STI will do the job.
Old 05 May 2009, 02:58 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

In the Bug/Blob debate the STi has a decatted up pipe the WRX does not. The STi has a nicer exhaust rather than the Pea shooter. The Sti has the Bigger Spoiler, Front Winglets and side skirts. All true and very often the first bits to be modified by wanna be STi owners that have WRX's.

As I said both good cars but in the current climate you would be mad to pass up an STi for a WRX which is inferior in spec until you throw more money at it.
how many standard sti do you see around with there amazing standard exhaust as i have always said it depend what he want from his car if he wants a good daily car then a wrx will make a great car. if he want a ok ish fast ish car then a standard sti will do that, if he wants a fast car give RCM a call and take either a wrx or sti to them as to make either car fast all the parts you listed would be pulled off
Old 05 May 2009, 03:24 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys. And yes - I am now totally confused and in two minds over what to get.

My budget stands at whatever I can get for my CTR (around £5k) plus £2000 cash (which can be stretched to £3000 if a perfect car came up). So we are looking at an absolute max of no more than £8k. Now what I want. It has to be a blobeye in WR Blue with high-level spoiler and colour-coded sills.

Now I have been for a test drive in a standard WRX and that literally blew me away (in comparison to my CTR). It was more powerful (probably due to the turbo coming in early compared to the VTEC) and it was comfy as hell (compared once again to the CTR which is awful at slow speeds as someone has mentioned).

Now if I am going for a WRX, although I enjoyed the power, the first mod would be to increase power to 270bhp (and that is what I would do immediately - hence why the Prodrive WRX really appeals).

And now the STi. I love the interior, it comes with high-level spoiler/colour-coded sills and has 265bhp as standard. However, what is putting me off a little is I've been a passenger in a STi PPP and it was about as harsh as my CTR. Now I can live with that as I have done for 3 years with the CTR - but I am thinking the WRX PPP is going to be more fuel efficient than the STi plus a little more comfortable.

I am swaying closer to the STi but have never actually test driven a standard one for myself yet. Perhaps I need to have a test drive and then see where I stand. Also, it is bloody hard going to a garage asking for a drive without having any intention to buy there and then. I crumble under salesmen pressure.

Quick Reply: WRXs - which one...