ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX vs STi

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2009, 10:54 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX vs STi

Hi, forgive me my tresspass by steaming straight in with a question but I'm new to the Subarus and I'm on the freshold of buying one in the next day or so. I previously owned an Audi TT (mapped) that was a very nice drive but fancy the change so I'm currently in the market. I've been pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost af the Imprezas and particularly like the Wagons so that's the way I'm heading. The cars I'm looking at are 97 (WRX),98 and 99 STi imports and all seemingly have low miles (the WRX with proof). Anyways, bottom line is am I gona regret not going straight in on the STi if I get the WRX, by which I mean is there a particularly noticeable power difference?
The 97 WRX is incidentally immaculate and all are priced between 5 and 6 K.
Once again sorry for my first post being a question but any advice would be well received.

Dave.
Old 28 April 2009, 07:56 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

97 WRX for 5-6k is way too much.

If you're looking for out and out performance you will want an RA, otherwise stick with either a WRX STi Type R or the WRX STi.

For £5k you can also get an 02/03 Newage WRX or £6-7k will get you a 02/03 WRX STi
Old 28 April 2009, 08:32 AM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for reply. Maybe I'll take a little longer over looking?

(Thanks again face)
Old 28 April 2009, 08:57 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

My 99 (v5) STi Wagon cost £5k a year and a half ago, so as above £5-6k is way too much. Go with STi as the cost isn't much more and you get the extras that you'll otherwise end up buying anyway.

Most important thing with these cars is service history: has it had a decent rebuild or has it been serviced properly. If the answer to both of these is no then walk away. Mine has just passed 100k on the original engine which is down to regular maintenance and implied sympathetic owners.
Old 28 April 2009, 10:48 AM
donmojo
Scooby Regular

For a little more go for the sti, noticeable difference!! As the guys have said 5-6k you maybe able to get a bugeye if you like!!!!!!!

Last edited by donmojo; 28 April 2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 28 April 2009, 11:16 AM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat really although I am after a 4-door and not the estate/hatchback.

I was initially after a WRX Prodrive but now everyone I have spoken to on this forum (well, not spoken to but you know what I mean) say put a little extra money on the table and get an STi because I will regret not buying it and it will always be in the back of my head.

Now the problem lies where I only want a blobeye and not the bugeye (although having seen some bugeyes they are slightly growing on me). My budget is around £7500 (max) so I cannot really afford a blobeye STi. Should I just save a few more pennies and wait a while longer for an STi or should I just plump for a WRX Prodrive? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 28 April 2009, 06:17 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies people. The Bug Eye is a no no for me as I've always liked the previous shape upto V5. Looked at a rough one today for 3850 but it was very rough. Keep being drawn back to the immaculate Black 97 WRX but god it's over priced, though it does have full history and only 46K miles, from a dealer. Might look at the 2 STi's tom. I'm a bit stuck for a car and liable to buy quickly me thinks.

(Thanks again face)
Old 28 April 2009, 10:12 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

nice looking car this for cobraman:

hillingdon motor company : SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STI TYPE UK 4DR 6 SPD 260 BHP STANDARD CAR

Mac
Old 28 April 2009, 11:35 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Don't forget with a wrx PPP you get some refinement (less crashy suspension and some sound proofing) and all the power through a 5 speed box so torque is more available through the gears. Just my noticed differences that I felt were important when I was deciding!
Old 29 April 2009, 12:18 AM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

More replies! Thanks people. I've been looking on Piston heads, Auto Trader, Exchange and mart and Flea bay. can any of you recommend other sites pleaae?

(You've been more than helpful face)
Old 29 April 2009, 09:21 AM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Yes - I've noticed this one as well. In the window, its original price was £9995 and now it is £7995 so I wonder why they have dropped £2000 in price?

I am going to email them tonight to ask what they would offer on my Civic Type-R and I'll take it from there. Looks like a nice example from the pics/description.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:36 AM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Just a quickie please? The 97 Import WRX Wagon - what is the approx BHP please? I understand the STi to be 280 but having difficulty understanding the info I find on the WRX?

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU Impreza Turbo 2000 4WD=

Actually here's the link. Help please I'm in danger of spending money!

(Tis pretty face)
Old 29 April 2009, 11:45 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

240ps iirc

But that says it's a Turbo 2000 which is a UK spec car so 208bhp yet on their website it does say WRX

If you put up links like that maybe worth hiding your postcode

Last edited by myblackwrx; 29 April 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 29 April 2009, 12:43 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
240ps iirc

But that says it's a Turbo 2000 which is a UK spec car so 208bhp yet on their website it does say WRX

If you put up links like that maybe worth hiding your postcode
Thanks (Postcode tip also). Yep, the ad's kinda conflict don't they.

(Best I did deeper and or wait face)
Old 29 April 2009, 01:05 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Actually paying more attention to the piccies i would guess it's an import as it seems to have a seperate foglight by the number plate

tbh if you're not bothered about whether it's an import or not it does look very nice
Old 29 April 2009, 01:13 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cobraman
I'm in the same boat really although I am after a 4-door and not the estate/hatchback.

I was initially after a WRX Prodrive but now everyone I have spoken to on this forum (well, not spoken to but you know what I mean) say put a little extra money on the table and get an STi because I will regret not buying it and it will always be in the back of my head.

Now the problem lies where I only want a blobeye and not the bugeye (although having seen some bugeyes they are slightly growing on me). My budget is around £7500 (max) so I cannot really afford a blobeye STi. Should I just save a few more pennies and wait a while longer for an STi or should I just plump for a WRX Prodrive? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
If your not bothered about owing an Sti over a WRX (I wouldn't be), then why don’t you buy on condition. I would rather own a low mileage, mint condition, well cared for WRX PPP than a thrashed and tatty Sti anyday.

Don't get caught up in all the hype on here, I don't regret buying my WRX and know others haven't also.
Old 29 April 2009, 01:42 PM
cobraman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Allan
If your not bothered about owing an Sti over a WRX (I wouldn't be), then why don’t you buy on condition. I would rather own a low mileage, mint condition, well cared for WRX PPP than a thrashed and tatty Sti anyday.

Don't get caught up in all the hype on here, I don't regret buying my WRX and know others haven't also.
Good point Allan and something someone else has pointed out to me as well.

I could get an absolute mint condition WRX PPP with my budget and I did really enjoy the power in a standard WRX I test drove a few months ago - quite a bit faster than my CTR and a damn lot more comfortable. I can only imagine a PPP WRX is going to be like a rocket ship plus it still pumps out the same power as an STi although with poorer breaks/suspension (but how poorer are the brakes/suspension and will I really notice it as an everyday driver)?

I do feel I am getting caught up in all the STi hype but then another part of me says it makes sense getting the better car rather than wondering 'what if' - plus the blue interior looks lovely and it has 6 gears.

I am really undecided on what to get to be honest. An STi really appeals although the WRX PPP seems to be the better bet as an everyday car - plus I would be getting a very good WRX PPP for my pennies.
Old 29 April 2009, 01:54 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

IMO, as a WRX owner, get the STI as it's got a stronger gearbox, the brakes are better etc.

Upgrading those parts to the STI spec will cost far more than the difference.
Old 29 April 2009, 02:48 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Actually paying more attention to the piccies i would guess it's an import as it seems to have a seperate foglight by the number plate

tbh if you're not bothered about whether it's an import or not it does look very nice
Deffo Import, I've seen the history folder etc. I've elected to go get this one (at 4.30 this eve) and if and when I want more from the car I can always trade up eh?

Many thanks all for your time and advice.

I'll be an active member of this forum and who knows may even be able to offer my own 2pennuth worth from time to time?

(mildly excited face)
Old 29 April 2009, 02:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

pre facelift the interiors are a bit pants imo

and thats what you see 100% of the time you drive it
Old 29 April 2009, 03:24 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Oooo you little ray of sunshine! lol

You have a point ofcourse as I'm used to the beautiful interior of my Ex Audi TT but what the hell it's done now.

(I'll live face)
Old 29 April 2009, 03:27 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Its only pants if you have something better to compare it to.
Ignorance is bliss
Old 29 April 2009, 03:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i think its quite important

when I was looking for an impreza last year I sat in a few, and some were low mileage/low previous owners etc etc -- but the interiors looked liked they had had a really really hard life, broken plastic bits, dirty stained seats etc etc

and I thought mmmm not a nice place to be, and although I was only paying 2.5k it seemed a lot to sit in a sh1thole

so i probably place quite a high emphasis on the interior, in the end I bought one with a very clean leather interior, and when cleaned etc looks like new

(also to me a sorted interior is the sign of a well looked after car)
Old 29 April 2009, 03:45 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

The interior condition of the classics i've owned have been very good condition so had no problems with them.
I thought maybe you meant they looked horrible in general.
Old 29 April 2009, 04:05 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

well I dont think anyone would by an impreza for the interior alone

the facelift classic interior looks 10X better than the pre facelift one

but then I am in my 40,s so a bit of an Old Git I suppose, LOL
Old 29 April 2009, 04:08 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

well I dont think anyone would by an impreza for the interior alone

the facelift classic interior looks 10X better than the pre facelift one

but then I am in my 40,s so a bit of an Old Git I suppose, LOL
You could be considered a baby, I'm 44. lol

(Or could you face)
Old 29 April 2009, 09:00 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cobraman
Good point Allan and something someone else has pointed out to me as well.

I could get an absolute mint condition WRX PPP with my budget and I did really enjoy the power in a standard WRX I test drove a few months ago - quite a bit faster than my CTR and a damn lot more comfortable. I can only imagine a PPP WRX is going to be like a rocket ship plus it still pumps out the same power as an STi although with poorer breaks/suspension (but how poorer are the brakes/suspension and will I really notice it as an everyday driver)?

I do feel I am getting caught up in all the STi hype but then another part of me says it makes sense getting the better car rather than wondering 'what if' - plus the blue interior looks lovely and it has 6 gears.

I am really undecided on what to get to be honest. An STi really appeals although the WRX PPP seems to be the better bet as an everyday car - plus I would be getting a very good WRX PPP for my pennies.
I'm not going to tell you the WRX PPP is a better car, it's just a bit softer all round. However you have to ask yourself do you really need the 6 gears, better suspension and so on. I've owned mine for 5 years and still look forward to getting into it. The standard response on here is "Yeh get the Sti every time", just trying to give you an alternative view.

My WRX PPP has been cheaper to run than my Wife's old MX5 which is saying something.

Anyway none of this is Helping Dave much
Old 29 April 2009, 09:36 PM
wrxmad
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up wrx vs sti

i had a classic wrx import my first scoob...loved every minute driving it. now i traded that in for a 04 sti blobeye ...never looked back since...sti all the way.
easily mapped to 340bhp with a decat and panel filter. been laughing ever since tbh mate im glad i bought it and not a newage wrx ..both great cars though hope this helps u ..
Old 29 April 2009, 11:39 PM
Chumley
Scooby Newbie

Evening all, this is my first post on here so apologies for jumping straight in with an opinion!
We've just bought an 05 WRX PPP which we felt suited us more than an STI. I love the PPP for having what's effectively STI performance in a slightly more subtle form. I'm not knocking STIs, far from it as they're brilliant. It's just important to identify what's right for you and then have the conviction to wait for the right car I think. Either way, have fun!
Old 30 April 2009, 12:08 AM
skid11
Scooby Regular

I am yet to meet anyone who buys a scooby for the interior.Its like the mpg if you want that there are more suitable cars.
Buy on condition/owner for a classic or any of the others. The imports are quicker ,higher spec generally .
Lots about so have a look.I went for an early import wrx wagon but its your budget and choice

Quick Reply: WRX vs STi