Sponsored by:

hi all

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2009, 03:25 PM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi all

alrite lad's and lasses just thought id introduce my self, my names jay im 18, im from aylesbury bucks im in the army as a lorry driver and on return of my tour of afghan im wanting to get my 1st scooby.

alrite basically, im due to come back from afghan in september time, ill almost be 19 and i should have a good amount of money on return, ive always wanted a scooby from a young age, any way back to the real topic, i would love to have a 2.0 turbo version but insurance is in excess of 4k , with me as a secondary driver, but on a 2.0 sport version the insurance is 1k with the rac which i think is very reasonable, so it seems more sensible to go 4 the non turbo version i will have about 6k to spend excluding insurance so i was wondering if you could give me some help on the do's and dont's, good known sellers.

and things i can do to get that bit more out of the car without completely losing all reliablilty. the car will only be used during the weekend as im work all day everyday except from weekends and my barracks is 30 miles of my house.

sorry for the realy long post and if ive bored you.

many thanks in advance jay
Old 23 April 2009, 04:01 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

get the turbo ...as you will regret not getting it after you drive the sports
or if funds will not allow , just save abit longer /older then get one
Old 23 April 2009, 04:05 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

That's a short post compared to some wordsmiths on here

Welcome Jay
Old 23 April 2009, 04:18 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Welcome Jay

Agreed, get a turbo, 4k is a lot of money Have you tried Kieth Micheals (ask for Moley) or A-Plan for a quote. You can pick nice ones up for between 4-5k saving even more for insurance

Try and find as standard a car as you can and learn to drive it first, that way you will get to know the breed and also appreciate the extra power 'when' you do mod it, coz you will

On the point of reliability, a modded car, if 'done properly' is no more unreliable than a standard car.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy
Old 23 April 2009, 04:21 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

get what you can afford buddy (as above though try to make it a turbo) sure either will be quicker than your lorry !

have a look in the insurance section and maybee try a few of those you never know.

good luck.
Old 23 April 2009, 04:30 PM
Arab1
Scooby Regular

As above buddy it's not going to be easy insuring a turbo but it will be worth it in the long run, your insurance will come down.

For your 7k ish budget with insurance you could probably get a tidy facelift classic circa '98-'99 turbo (great fun).

Fair enough you could get a fairly new non turbo but you won't enjoy it as much.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work out there.
Old 23 April 2009, 04:33 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mate,

I would not bother getting a subaru, you will be forking out for it initially, then insurance then a daily commute, servicing etc.

You will be a skint squaddie with the wages you are on, get something more insurance friendly till you save up a few more years no claims and then get a Subaru, not trying to put you off mate, just trying to be realistic to a fellow soldier and dont want to see you skint as these cars ar expensive to run.

Whare are you in afgan???, my regt (40 regt ra) are out there at the moment, you part of 19 Brigade?????

Mac
Old 24 April 2009, 04:17 AM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

cheerz lads for the advice trust me i realy want a turbo version but insurance just isnt fesiable, ill be 19 with no NCB and only had my license like 20 months, nobody will reasonably touch me with that, and to be honest i dont blame them, if i get a turbo version i will be spending the same or even more on insurance than i will on the scooby, i think im going to get a non turbo version keep it for few years till my insurance drops and ive saved some money and then get the turbo version.

what can i do to my scooby to get the extra umf out of it without spending millions. is there anybody on here which does work on them in the south east area/ london.

blue nose, yer im part of 19 bde, 10 sqn. but my home unit is 31 sqn.
Old 24 April 2009, 07:11 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

theres nothing wrong with sports, and there is plenty you can do to it. you will end up wanting a turbo sooner or later though, its a great introduction to the marque and you can make it look like a turbo

have a look here : .:ImprezaSport.net:.

hope that helps, and welcome to scoobynet
Old 24 April 2009, 07:21 AM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

cheerz mucker, i want a turbo already but im thinking more practically, i simply cant afford the insurance of a turbo and trust me if i could i would no one will touch me for less then 4k, the only thing im worried about is if i start modding it and declare the mods how much its going to rocket up by.

is anyone else here around the same age as me and can tell me there insurance quotes and who there with .
Old 24 April 2009, 07:37 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

as said above ring keith michaels insurance and ask for gary moulson.

http://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/

Old 24 April 2009, 07:41 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hello fella, welcome to Scoobynet.

Basically, I passed my test @ 21 in March 2006. Had a Sport as my first car and it was fun for a newbie. But I yearned for a Turbo. Anywho, after I crashed the Sport (avoiding something that ran out in front of me), I ended up with a WRX after only 2 months of driving. Zenith insured me for £2500 fully comp which was fantastic considering my age/experience etc.

Come that December and a Peugeot 106 deisel , I pined for a turbo Impreza once more. I looked and looked for dyas for reasonable insurance. Eventually the guy I actually ended up buying the car from told me about Ecar insurance. I had 9 months experience, was 22 then, and on a group 17 Impreza Turbo (UK car) they quoted me £1750 fully comp I snapped their hand off for that.

Try them as they are web based only, so do save you money that way. For the record, a year later (and 2 non fault claims for people crashing into me), it still went down to £1250 with Ecar also. Gary Moulson @ Keith Michaels even admitted he couldn't come close to them kind of prices then. I am insured with Gary now on my Peugeot 205 GTi, but have 2 years NCB behind me and am 24 now.

PM me if you want any more info fella. Good luck, but go for the Turbo
Old 24 April 2009, 08:00 AM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

I know you're not going to listen BUT................Sack the Sport idea. All show and no go. Buy yourself a warmish hatch and wait for the premiums to come down before buying a turbo. If you get one now, you will end up like all the other sprogs on camp when they come off tour, stuck on camp at the weekend witha car they can't afford to put petrol in.
The money you are making now, will all be spanked on the car, insurance, Thailand whoring trip, and the rest pissed away, so next time you have to insure it, you will be skint and have to sell it to someone that will only offer half the worth.
This advise is from an SNCO that has been in the same position, and spanked the cash.
p.s Careful what info you give out on here pal.
Old 24 April 2009, 11:49 AM
Smudge46
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a cheap runaround, save your coin and rack up those no claims bonuses. I've no doubt that you'll be back on tour in a couple of years so if you save your dosh by then you'll have 2 years NCB, add that to your dosh from your next tour and walla, a nice turbo!
If your like most squaddies you cant keep money in your bank because you think it needs to be spent then stick it into an isa or high interest savings account, one that you have to give 3 months notice to draw money from (or similar). That way when your skint 1 week after payday and everyone's off out on the **** you can't just dip into your savings.
I know it sounds gay and too sensible but you won't regret it. It's just having the patience.
If you don't I imagine you'll be stuck with the sport longer than you'd like because you'll spend all your money on it trying to 'beef' it up that you wouldn't be able to afford a turbo once your insurance comes down.
Old 24 April 2009, 12:25 PM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

all what you lads are saying does make alot of Funking sense, but im sure all of you have been in my position, ive had a pug 306 1.8 for last year and bit as my 1st car and just had enough with it and sold it, i realy want a scooby. what else is as much fun as a scooby ? through me some alternate suggestions. i wont mind going round in a non turbo for a few years and then upgrading for a turbo. i wanna have a good laugh while i can but if you can suggest some other hot hatches then go ahead . but i only live 30 miles frommy barracks so fuel wont be that bad. can i get some positive feedback please lads

Last edited by squaddie; 24 April 2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 24 April 2009, 12:30 PM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

rob i dont drink believe it or not so i wont be spunking money that way , and im not going on the lads holiday :P i want a scooby more then anything .
Old 24 April 2009, 12:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi and welcome to ScoobyNet. Do you not get cheap insurance being in the army?
Old 24 April 2009, 12:56 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a UK turbo & try NFU for insurance, you might be surprised if its standard
Old 24 April 2009, 02:21 PM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

you dont get **** all cheap being in the army, im gonna have a look on NFU . yer ill happily have a uk non modd'ed version. what price range will i be looking at for one with reasonable mileage?

jay
Old 24 April 2009, 03:56 PM
beakerdoo
Scooby Regular

hi m8

at the end of the day i think go for what you want and the reason been..if you get something that you don't really want you will always be asking yourself " why did i do this" and regretting your previous actions.life to short m8 and your only that age once.if then once you have your scooby and find that you cant afford it and find that it was a wrong thing to do. this i would put down as a positive and put it down as experience just like the rest of us did when we were your age....

go for what you can afford and enjoy.when i was your age i had a ford capri( now were talking)
Old 24 April 2009, 04:27 PM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

yes beaker thats the feedback i was looking for

tax is gonna be a killer eh, well im going to pay the insurance off monthly so im looking at 100 a month for that. and ill hopefully get the scooby payed off in a onner.ill gladly sacrifice a few luxuries to have a scooby while all my mates are in 206's n corsa's. and ill do a few bits and bobs here and there to get a bit of power out of it but ill do that as and when ill be quite happy with it as standard. and if i want to upgrade in few years i can P/X or sell it, obviosly ill lose alot of value but thats just life. not just that most of you on here are 25+ and can afford the insurance on a turbo where as i cant, and i dont realy fancy being another teenage stastistic by crashing which is quite likely if i get a turbo.
Old 24 April 2009, 10:43 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

hi mate ex squaddie myself. again there are alot of people trying to give you good advice, please listen to them and dont do what most of us did and come out with **** all to show for your graft. if you have to get another car just use your head not your heart, we have all been there mate. save as much cash as you can for say 2 years, maybe 3. get your ncb up and save like a miser chuckling quietly to yourself knowing whats going to happen when you have saved up enough dough. remember when buying cash is king, you will get a belter for a fraction of the cost compared to if you were to go down the hp route as lots of young squaddies get tempted with. try a late edition fiesta st as a step up for now, lots of fun and you will leave those corsas for dust, no turbo and lots of modding potential although good as standard. you would only want a turbo version after a couple of months even if you did go with the scoob once you get used to the power, honestly.
Old 25 April 2009, 04:39 AM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

ive tryed to get insured on a fiesta st, its 2.0 so no turbo its newer so more expsensive, and works out and 4.5k to get insured on as a secondary driver.

NFU insurance i cant get a quote from NFU as its a call back service being in afghan i have no number they can ring back on lol.
Old 25 April 2009, 05:48 AM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

I've had a Mk1 Golf GTi, Mk 2 Golf GTi, 205 GTi 1.6 and 1.9, 306 XSi and GTi6. I've even had a Metro GTA. Any one of these cars will be cheaper AND more fun than a Sport.
Just my 2p
Old 25 April 2009, 08:03 AM
squaddie
Scooby Newbie

im not up for older cars, also i had a millions and one drams with my 2 306's which i had , and work on them was just akward as **** , what im trying to stick jap/german/uk

im looking at a golf but they just dont appeal to me as much as a scooby
Old 26 April 2009, 01:58 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

im 21 at the minute i got my scooby when i was 20 and got raped by the insurance 3700 a year. jap import wrx then u have fuel cost. repair if needed. tax. mods. should just go for a 2.0 non turbo till you can afford it plenty of them out there that look the same and can be made to sound similar and at the end of the day its still a scooby.and if your going a secondary drive but your act the main driver but lying its really not worth it they are powerful cars and if u drive like a tool (not saying you do) and you crash and they find out then your in more **** there lol stick to a 2.0
Old 26 April 2009, 02:00 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
I've had a Mk1 Golf GTi, Mk 2 Golf GTi, 205 GTi 1.6 and 1.9, 306 XSi and GTi6. I've even had a Metro GTA. Any one of these cars will be cheaper AND more fun than a Sport.
Just my 2p
cant forget pocket rocket starlets too they go for 1.3 and have a turbo
Old 26 April 2009, 11:07 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 20withascooby
cant forget pocket rocket starlets too they go for 1.3 and have a turbo
Aye, but the insurance group is right up there with Impreza's Nath, thats the bugger.

I'll stick my flame suit and say get what I've got, or get a "modern" hot hatch around ins. group 13-14. The Impreza sport is 13, but for all the grip and AWD capabilities, it lacks power for a 1250kg car. If you maybe looked into getting something small and light that isn't 10 to the penny (IE rarer on the roads), this could give you as much fun imho.

I say the above as when I had to sell my really well kept Scoobaru last year for financial reasons, there were 3 cars that I could replace it with if I wanted to remain sane and have cheap/fun motoring.

These were...
  • Saxo VTS (120bhp and 0-60 in 7.6 secs). Problem was the image, far worse than the Impreza's.
  • Seat Ibiza Cupra (16v not 8v) (150bhp 0-60 in 7.6 secs). I couldn't find one at the time for under £1500.
  • Peugeot 205 GTi (1.9) (130bhp and 0-60 in 7.8secs).
I basically went for the third option. Older car so been through the chav image and it a rarer site on UK roads now than ever before. People go on about French cars being shoite and you expect it on a Jap car forum, but for £900 (what I pad for mine), it's the most fun car I've had alongside my turbo Impreza. I hate to say it, but that and the above 2 others would eat an Impreza sport in the straights or twisties.

Certainly not trying to preach, as a decent sport can be picked up for £1500-2000, but the novelty would soon wear off when you plant your foot one day and not a lot happens. I say that as it happened to me. You'll be sat in traffic and hear the grumble of a decatted (hopefully non-chavved up) Scooby Turbo and think "I should have gone for that".

Anyways, you pays your monies and you makes your choices.

(For the record, the three above cars are all Ins. group 14 - probably attainable with your details, and certainly not a lot more than an Impreza sport).
Old 26 April 2009, 11:14 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

First of all. You do a fantastic job and this countries military make me a very proud man.
Secondly, Get a sport, Its your first scoob its a nice way to introduce yourself into the community and for the budget you state you will have no issues finding one with WRX/STi looks.
A turbo is more fun, but you have all the time in the world to get one, Your still young and decent turbos will still be available in a 4 or 5 years time.

have a crack at something like this
2005 SUBARU IMPREZA R SPORT GREY WRX/STI REPLICA on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 02-May-09 16:35:01 BST)
Welcome to the site
Old 26 April 2009, 01:32 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
I know you're not going to listen BUT................Sack the Sport idea. All show and no go. Buy yourself a warmish hatch and wait for the premiums to come down before buying a turbo. If you get one now, you will end up like all the other sprogs on camp when they come off tour, stuck on camp at the weekend witha car they can't afford to put petrol in.
The money you are making now, will all be spanked on the car, insurance, Thailand whoring trip, and the rest pissed away, so next time you have to insure it, you will be skint and have to sell it to someone that will only offer half the worth.
This advise is from an SNCO that has been in the same position, and spanked the cash.
p.s Careful what info you give out on here pal.
Agree totally and you can see that in my post that i am saying the same thing as i too have been in that position, what info are you on about that he avoids giving away??? his sqn and regt?????, can all be found on the official army website who are deployed where etc. dont get all security concious mate, theres nothing there that ppl cant find out if needed.

Another fellow SNCO,Lol