Sponsored by:

advice wanted from people running over 350bhp

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2009, 07:35 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice wanted from people running over 350bhp

morning people, after some pointers and advice on the road manor of imprezas above the 350 mark. I have been looking at a 2.5 ltr conversion along with a md321t+ and supporting mods. The expected out come would be around 450bhp n 470/480lbs which I think we all would agree would make a very impressive P1.

I am not looking to break the 500bhp mark as I can not afford it as going the twisted turbo route is out of my budget, and from what I have read and been advised it will be too much for road use. In saying that I have been Reading post after post on projects and builds trying to get a feel on what people have found out from the work done

I now have a few concerns.

How drivable would the above set up be? And I am talking as a daily runner will I still be ableto potter around town etc?

A big concernis and from Reading skullfudges 600bhp project is that him, marty and another poster say that even at 420-460 mark that the wheels light up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so how drivable are they at this level?

At what point do the loose traction? As if that's the case I will stick with a 2.0ltr and maybe the 321h instead if it holds traction as I want a car that I can get on the pedal.

Or is it going to be a case of learning how to drive again if you get what I mean?

If anyone can comment on this who has some real time experiance I would apreciate it, any pointers etc as he last thing I want to do is and this may not be heard that often by run to much power for the rest of the car to keep up with.

Regards
Old 22 April 2009, 03:12 PM
p060064h
Scooby Regular

I have 600 bhp and it perfectly drivable, drives as standard till you dont want it to.
I even used to take my wife & baby to do the weekly shop 40 miles away before i stripped it out.

You have the worlds best boost controller attached @ the bottom of your leg "your foot".

In the dry the only time my wheels light up is 1st gear if i get the launch wrong.

Besides your going to be getting a new ECU which will have the option of having multi maps high/low so you can choose how "drivable" you want it to be.
Old 22 April 2009, 03:37 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Think that just sums it up imo, good answer..

And i,m saying that from not owning a 450 Impreza, but owning 2 450+Evos and 3 450-500 Cossies..

Stevie,

A 450-500 car can be driven civilised too, the good thing is, when you do need to go WARP factor 9 you have the goods there......

Who would do it for you?? the build that is..
Old 22 April 2009, 03:50 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

cheers guys i appreciate what you say pover the best device being your right foot i guess that makes all the sense in the world i was just a bit unsure. as if i get on the power i would not like to have to ease it in and not be able to get a majority of the power down due to fear of spinning the wheels and loosing all grip. i woul dlike to be able to remain how it is now that i can step on it and remain in control with no spin up if that makes sense.

as for the build pete i have had a 6 speed box dropped in by the top guys at API and have been in contact with david over the build and he has come up with a cracking spec at a resonable cost so if i go for it it will no doubt be with them as he has put in the ground work and been extremely helpful. it is just the case of before i commit to something and end up regreting my chpoice as i did not look into it hard enough and for long enough. i just tryimg to make sure i am doing the right thing for me as it is something i have always wanted and i just want to cross the t's and dot the i's if that makes sense

regards
Old 22 April 2009, 04:33 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a quicky....launch controlers stop wheels spin?? dont they? could try one of those
Old 22 April 2009, 06:14 PM
p060064h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
just a quicky....launch controlers stop wheels spin?? dont they? could try one of those
No they dont stop wheel spin but if they are set up properly the wheels wont spin if that makes sence.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Default Not quite that much !

Hi Steve,

1. Lard new-age !
2. Only about 400 bhp / 360 lb.ft. (MD321H + the usual trimmings)
3. RE-070's.
4. Exedy clutch (hyper single)

Mine hasn't shown any lary side effects, but it did show my std STI suspension to have aged rather, so Teins went on.

HTH

dunx
Old 22 April 2009, 11:57 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevie1982
morning people, after some pointers and advice on the road manor of imprezas above the 350 mark. I have been looking at a 2.5 ltr conversion along with a md321t+ and supporting mods. The expected out come would be around 450bhp n 470/480lbs which I think we all would agree would make a very impressive P1.

I am not looking to break the 500bhp mark as I can not afford it as going the twisted turbo route is out of my budget, and from what I have read and been advised it will be too much for road use. In saying that I have been Reading post after post on projects and builds trying to get a feel on what people have found out from the work done

I now have a few concerns.

How drivable would the above set up be? And I am talking as a daily runner will I still be ableto potter around town etc?

A big concernis and from Reading skullfudges 600bhp project is that him, marty and another poster say that even at 420-460 mark that the wheels light up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so how drivable are they at this level?

At what point do the loose traction? As if that's the case I will stick with a 2.0ltr and maybe the 321h instead if it holds traction as I want a car that I can get on the pedal.

Or is it going to be a case of learning how to drive again if you get what I mean?

If anyone can comment on this who has some real time experiance I would apreciate it, any pointers etc as he last thing I want to do is and this may not be heard that often by run to much power for the rest of the car to keep up with.

Regards
Steve, I can arrange a test drive for you in one of our recently built 2.5 MD series turbo-ed customer cars. I just need a few days to set it up then you can see what it performs like. Either of the owners of the two cars I have in mind, will vouch for driveability and performance.

Just call if I can help.

David APi
Old 23 April 2009, 12:02 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by Steve001
Er No !, You're thinking of traction control

Launch controllers, launch the car in the most efficient manner possible. Mine is absolutely brutal to use and once demonstrated usually puts off people that are not sure how it works and once they see what actually happens usually say

" I would never drive my car like that."

Great ride though, and as I say often If you had to queue up at Disneyworld for an hour for that ride you'd be back around on the end of the queue for another go immediately for certain.

David APi
Old 23 April 2009, 10:07 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

david yhpm
Old 23 April 2009, 11:35 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Er No !, You're thinking of traction control

Launch controllers, launch the car in the most efficient manner possible. Mine is absolutely brutal to use and once demonstrated usually puts off people that are not sure how it works and once they see what actually happens usually say

" I would never drive my car like that."

Great ride though, and as I say often If you had to queue up at Disneyworld for an hour for that ride you'd be back around on the end of the queue for another go immediately for certain.

David APi
I'm not really into launching: bob did ask me if I wanted Launch control with my Simtek and my reply was:

"Sure, if you pay for the 6 speed gearbox I'll need to replace mine when my std box says cheerio!"

I did once give my car the beans from a standing start (just to see what all the fuss was about....and at the request of a female passenger *coughs*) Completely fluked a perfect launch: held the car at 5000 rpm, let the clutch up sharply (not dumped, didn't have the heart) and it just flew off the line. Cue much whooping from moi.

Passenger was looking a bit whiter than normal and just said "My tummy's just gone....felt like one of those launched rollercoasters"

And that's only a humble classic with 340 of each. 2.5 conversion with the MD T must be insane when launched properly!!

Haven't done it since, every time I think about it I can hear the sound of someone rubbing there hands together!

Ns04
Old 23 April 2009, 11:45 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

lol at above

ive never actually thought about losing traction in subarus.. does it actually happen? went in a mates 380bhp scoob, and has perfect traction, no spin..

is it common on big builds?

dont see it on the vids of the gobstopper or at some of the cars at car shows
Old 23 April 2009, 03:18 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

To the OP, what power do you have at the moment? 300ish going to 450+ is a big step and reading between the lines of your posts, you want to mash and go - rather than using the throttle to regulate the power at the edge of grip.

480lbft is going to light up tyres unless you're on a flat dry straight, so my advice is to get some driver training - you may have to spend £5k+ to get to 450HP, wheras £300 on a decent course will make your car faster (and your driving experience even better) before API has even taken the deposit
Old 23 April 2009, 03:27 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jay m A
To the OP, what power do you have at the moment? 300ish going to 450+ is a big step and reading between the lines of your posts, you want to mash and go - rather than using the throttle to regulate the power at the edge of grip.

480lbft is going to light up tyres unless you're on a flat dry straight, so my advice is to get some driver training - you may have to spend £5k+ to get to 450HP, wheras £300 on a decent course will make your car faster (and your driving experience even better) before API has even taken the deposit

Oi ! I spend hours talking him in to it and you tell him that he can save money by learning to drive

What's in that for me??

Aaah!, l know, driving lessons 5 G's a pop, that'll do it.

David APi
Old 23 April 2009, 05:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

450bhp will be fine. The wheels will only spin if you make them. The only difference I have found from say 500bhp to 550bhp is that the car is more likely to drag you across the road if you hold the wheel lighly when boosting thru the gears failing that its easy to drive slow. Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about 500bhp
Old 25 April 2009, 12:09 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

But will it go round corners ?

LOL

dunx