Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident repair starting to rust...

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2009, 01:26 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident repair starting to rust...

I know it's been a while, about 4 years.....

But I had a small accident and needed front bumper and nearside front wing replacing. This was done by a well respected Scooby garage and I know 4 years is a long time, but the wing is starting to rust around the wheelarch and blister towards the bottom. The rest of the car is perfect.

Do you think it's reasonable to complain about this? Surely a professional repair should be as good as an original panel?

The car is an 02 so I would not be expecting any rot just yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob.
Old 20 April 2009, 07:15 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is reasonable to expect it to last as welll as the rest of the car. If the wing has been replaced then there is no reason for it to rust. A bad accident repair may rust - perhaps if the car was left outside for 1 month and not prep'd correctly, but a new wing - no way. Take it back and ask for it to be corrected.
Old 20 April 2009, 09:29 AM
B8YN
Scooby Regular

sounds like it hasnt been sealed!!
Old 20 April 2009, 10:16 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Do you think it's reasonable to complain about this? Surely a professional repair should be as good as an original panel?
Yes and no. Give it a try. IIRC the MVRA warranty repairs for 3 years, so they could tell you to go away, on the otherhand if they are concerned about their reputation, the repairer may rectify it FOC - what have you got to lose?

Unfortunately, due to the way insurers pressure repairers on price and time-scale, corners can get cut. Be it on time, or preperation and materials.

Common problem is the plastic wheel arch liner or front bumper was probably fitted before the paint had hardened, resulting it being chipped round the area where the mouting points and screws hold it in. Or the car was released to the customer before the paint had hardened, and driving it caused the bumper/wheel arch liner to rub through. In both cases, you end up with bare metal giving a point to allow wate ingress where you can't see it, as time progresses this spreads as rust to an area where you can, usually as a rust bubble(s).

Having said that somthing as simple as a fish-eye can cause the same issue (although a keen eye to detail should be able to spot the fisheye before it allows water ingress). A problem on cars that have previously been waxed heavily with silicone based waxes. Or if someone in the same workshop nearby sprays a silcone based product, like non-bodyshop friendly valeting materials (Like most car-care products found on the shelf in Halfords ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 April 2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 20 April 2009, 11:00 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

loads of corners get cut in accident repair.

my scoob had a side swipe, it all got repaired, a yr later i removed side skirts and the dent in the sill was still there, they hadnt done it becuase the skirts hid it.im 90% sure the skirt was off when they repaired the car but hey,what can ya do,theyd say i did it after they fixed car.

if you feel lucky try it,but 4 yrs i feel you wont get far,but good luck
Old 20 April 2009, 12:13 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just like to say it wasn't done through my insurance, I paid for the repair myself. Beginning to regret that now as I know my wifes recent Golf repair after a rear shunt has a 5 year warranty.