ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY06 Spec C Type RA - The Next Phase

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2009, 05:42 AM
Ghost75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 Spec C Type RA - The Next Phase

Originally wanted to sell the car but deciding to keep it a little longer.

Current mods - Roger Clarke TBE, Perrin Cold Air In-Take and ECU-Tek Reflash which gets me 360bhp and 370ft lbs of torque.

I want to go to the next level and get into the 400's, unfortunately i dont know a great deal on what mods would be best.

So far i've thought Hybrid turbo, Motec ECU, possibily a front mount IC. Wise choices?

Would my engine cope with that kind of power or will i need to start changing internals?

Also want to upgrade the suspension, recommendations?

Advise would be appreciated.

Wax
Old 10 April 2009, 07:41 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

I would say stick with the EcuTek if you are not going much past 400-420bhp. AndyF was running this on his Spec C and I think it was pushing out something like 450bhp on V-Power.

Also the TMIC and air flow over the bonnet on the MY06-MY07 is much better so again no real need for a FMIC unless of course you are going big power or you do alot of qtr miles.

I would say, Hybrid Turbo, possibly an AET. Bigger injectors, Uprated inlet hose, but this all depends on what power you are looking for.

You would want to do the internals if you are look to go for 450 and above I would say. Then there is a whole host of other things like clutch, flywheel, fmic, new ecu.......$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10 April 2009, 02:33 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I'd be cautious about chasing peak power. Remember Andy's Spec C has a 2.5.

I'd go hybrid twin scroll, my brothers Spec C runs a hybrid twin scroll with a dash of E85 and makes 407/415, the power/torque curve is amazing, comparing it to a 2.0 with a MD321 at 450bhp, and you wouldn't believe the differences at some points in the curve. It makes for a much, much more useable car.
Old 10 April 2009, 03:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need a motec ecu, the Spec C one is more than capable and has a few added features that other cars dont have
You want to look at powerstations website (or litchfields website) and see the 400bhp packages they do.

Tony
Old 10 April 2009, 11:29 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

All you need is:

1 - larger turbo (stick with a twin scroll unit. Litchfields recently developed hybrid twin scroll will bolt straight on and makes awesome power at relatively low boost levels with good exhaust temps.

2 - larger injectors, 650cc or bigger. 650cc should be fine for the low 400's.

3 - another remap to tie it all together. As said, no need for a Motec ECU. Your standard ECU with an ECUTEK remap will be more than sufficient.

What is wrong with the adjustable STI dampers that the car came with? I've had an RA, now own an RA-R and the uprated STI items are more than capable of doing a good job in my opinion.

Engine internals will cope no worries. As far as an FMIC goes, that is down to you. The standard TMIC will be fine, but there will no harm in fitting an FMIC, it will allow for slightly more power and a cooler inlet charge, not that the standard setup is overly hot by any means but it is situated inside the engine bay and will suffer slightly as such.

Last edited by MrRA; 10 April 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11 April 2009, 11:01 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps if you can hold out a bit longer there is word in the grapevine that Licho is developing some new bigger twin scroll turbo options for our cars. Similar, if not bigger than the found on his new 08 Type 20 I think next year I may look into these options myself, especially as the whole process will most probably be easy/stress free with reliable/garunteed figures from Litchfields.
Old 11 April 2009, 11:13 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

400bhp on the standard Spec C engine is more than enough for stress free ***** out nailing capabilities.

In many ways I wish i had limited myself to 400bhp before going the ***** out route. The amount of money and time you spend can go crazy, continously pushing and developing.

In my opinion for what it is worth:

Turbo - Wait until Litchfields release their latest 400bhp Twinscroll and fit that (assuming it delivers, which I am sure it will).

Intercooler - Only consider moving to a FMIC if you intend in doing a load of track work. At this level I would save your cash as the TMIC is perfectly fine for road use with some track action as well.

Fueling - New injectors.

ECU - ECUTEK re-map.

Suspension - Single way AST's.

Job done and you can enjoy yourself, whilst spending only on what you really need to.
Old 11 April 2009, 11:17 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
400bhp on the standard Spec C engine is more than enough for stress free ***** out nailing capabilities.

In many ways I wish i had limited myself to 400bhp before going the ***** out route. The amount of money and time you spend can go crazy, continously pushing and developing.

In my opinion for what it is worth:

Turbo - Wait until Litchfields release their latest 400bhp Twinscroll and fit that (assuming it delivers, which I am sure it will).

Intercooler - Only consider moving to a FMIC if you intend in doing a load of track work. At this level I would save your cash as the TMIC is perfectly fine for road use with some track action as well.

Fueling - New injectors.

ECU - ECUTEK re-map.

Suspension - Single way AST's.

Job done and you can enjoy yourself, whilst spending only on what you really need to.
END OF.
Old 11 April 2009, 06:55 PM
Ghost75
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys,

Really helpful, lucky i asked you boys before getting anything done.

Any idea how long before Licho completes development of the new turbo...i was hoping to have the work done asap so i can do tracking this summer. I'm looking to stick around420, upto 450 if achievable.

R.e. suspension...am starting to get a knocking sound from the rear shockers, showed it to an ex-Robinsons (Rochdale) technician who tells me shockers need replacing. I had AST's in mind.

Most of you boys have mentioned Powerstation, Immy at PCM said try Roger Clarke Motorsport aswell. Think i'll try em both to get the price down
Old 11 April 2009, 08:35 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Best for you to phone Iain Litchfield and discuss your turbo requirements.

Any reason why you think you need up to 450bhp?

Have you ever been in a real 400bhp Newage before? Don't go chasing peak figures..... it will lead to pain and an empty wallet. Been there and done that. You should have a very nice, driveable and more importantly, reliable car at 400bhp. Don't spoil it for the sake of a few extra numbers, which in reality may not mean that much.
Old 12 April 2009, 03:58 AM
Ghost75
Scooby Regular

Best for you to phone Iain Litchfield and discuss your turbo requirements.

Any reason why you think you need up to 450bhp?

Have you ever been in a real 400bhp Newage before? Don't go chasing peak figures..... it will lead to pain and an empty wallet. Been there and done that. You should have a very nice, driveable and more importantly, reliable car at 400bhp. Don't spoil it for the sake of a few extra numbers, which in reality may not mean that much.

No, not sat in a 400bhp. To be honest i'll do the mods you guys have suggested and most probably stick with around 400bhp.

Anything more is just me being excited and i'd rather not get into problems and high costs.
Old 25 April 2009, 10:59 PM
Ghost75
Scooby Regular

I called Ian 2 Mondays back, he advised same...to hang on till new turbo is released, so just waiting on that now. Anyone else looking to try this turbo?
Old 26 April 2009, 10:25 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I will look at the larger 500+ Turbo when it comes out around the same time.
Old 26 April 2009, 10:26 AM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Why not ditch the twin sroll for a single scroll? thats what i did as there are alot more options
Old 26 April 2009, 10:41 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghost75
I called Ian 2 Mondays back, he advised same...to hang on till new turbo is released, so just waiting on that now. Anyone else looking to try this turbo?
My car is currently at 350-360bhp so if he brings out a turbo which is circa 420bhp then I will be interested.

I think the outlay to go to 400bhp I won't notice as much and will be disappointed the extra 20bhp although small will make it that much more noticeable.
Old 27 April 2009, 03:19 AM
Ghost75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobytyson
Why not ditch the twin sroll for a single scroll? thats what i did as there are alot more options
i called RCM...they only do the single scroll...but it was working out quite expensive...said a few things will need changing because i'm currently on twin scroll, so i'm favouring the twin scroll
Old 27 April 2009, 09:14 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ghost,

Glad you ended up keeping the car mate.

I too am waiting for Iain's new twin scroll to be released.
Although like most the spec C owner on here 360bhp (ish) is more then enough we just cant help ourselves to go chasing for the magic 400+ mark

Im hoping that once i go for the upgrade together with 650cc /800cc injectors and prob an uprated fuel pump as Iain said that the standard Spec C one is only good for upto 400bhp, i'll be happy.
Trouble is you get used to the power far quicker then you think!!!

Mel
Old 27 April 2009, 12:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Lag free torque is what makes for a quick road car, high power is overrated for real world driving.
Old 27 April 2009, 05:47 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
Lag free torque is what makes for a quick road car, high power is overrated for real world driving.
Unless you can achieve both. But yes you are right, people get way too bent out of shape about power.... I did and it cost me tens of £1k's.

Go up against John in his ECUTEK mapped Newage STi..... be quicker than him and then you know you need to modify. Biggest modification is to your driving abilities.
Old 27 April 2009, 11:58 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you can achieve both. But yes you are right, people get way too bent out of shape about power.... I did and it cost me tens of £1k's.

Go up against John in his ECUTEK mapped Newage STi..... be quicker than him and then you know you need to modify. Biggest modification is to your driving abilities.
A good example is check out the first round of the scoobysprint championship on a tight twisty track you will see at least 3 mapped newage sti's sitting well up the rankings above some seriouse modified cars.
Old 28 April 2009, 08:54 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

There are several options as stated by others above, from geting your current VF36 Hybridised (like that word!!); to dropping in a big APS twin scroll roated turbo etc but IMO if you dont know too much about the techinical side of things & want stress free modding,then I would go for one of Litchfields newly developed turbos that they will fit & give you technical support if need be in the future.