Security Posts & Jet Washers

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2001, 12:07 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Does anyone have any recommendations for:
1: The security posts that you stick at the end of your drive to help prevent thieving scumbags from nicking your pride and joy.

2: Decent jet washers that you can use for cleaning instead of paying for someone to do half a job.

Things I'm interested in are,
Ease of fitment, cost, where to get them, etc.

All comments appreciated.

Regards
Paul
Old 06 February 2001, 12:17 AM
Darkness
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The security posts can be bought from any good DIY ro security store, make sure you buy a post that takes a proper locking key like the ones on the D lock's for bikes cus if its only got a Padlock then you know thats easy to get through with.
Old 06 February 2001, 12:35 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a locking post at the end of my drive it cost £120 fitted the lock is encased in a steel case and the post is large box section and the part that goes in the ground goes down 2 feet and is encased in concrete. Contact me via E Mail if you want the details of the people who fitted it.

Darren.

07979 800880.
Old 06 February 2001, 12:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi there!

Looked into this for our car park at work, we were having trouble with travellers!

A decent secutity post with a good quality lock was £ 190 + Vat. It needed to be concreted into position so another £ 60.00 of work. I was advised that the post would not withstand a hell of a lot of punishment, a Gypo would simply 'rest' his transit van against it 'till it gave way. CCTV was the answer!

IMHO
In your position (and i was)
I would go for some form of tracking system, at least you can leave the vehicle in most locations, not just at home with some peace of mind.
or
How about a Barrier Deadlock locks-up the gearbox)?

Old 06 February 2001, 01:15 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I have a Rhino anti ram post fitted, usual steel thing that needs to be concreted in, got it all done for about £250 from local co. that does Security.

Got to disagree about the Tracker, if my Scooby goes I dont want it back, ever.

Jet washers, I got a KEW from B&Q [also seen them on QVC] about £200, came with the lance, an angled spray, wheel cleaning brush, uses a heavy duty hoselock type conection from garden hose to the machine, lance attaches via a screw connector to a 8M heavy duty hose.

Works well IMHO.

Old 06 February 2001, 02:16 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I bought a Karshe? (the yellow ones) jet washer 2 years ago and rapidly came to the conclusion that it was one of my best luxury purchases.
There are different models, all that do different things. What many people do not reliase is that the different models require less or more input pressure from the tap. So if you have a house on top of a hill say, any you you know from experience that using a hosepipe is hard work, you need to ensure your jet wash takes water from a low pressure bar tap. Of course, if you have good pressure on your out side tap, then it may not be so important....BUT consider whether you want to take the jet wash with you (clean up the car before a mates wedding for instance???)

So definately check out the Klarshe models and the differing costs across the shops. I know that the following do supply: Halfords, B&Q, Argos etc etc. Once you have found the right model, definetly worth doing a web search for purchase by model name!!!

Make sure that you get a normal fixture, a concrete fixture and even a brush fixture. Beware that new fixture cost between £22 & £30 upwards....they are not cheap! The concrete one is great for patios etc!!!

When you are using the jetwash, keep your distance (6 feet?) from the car...otherwise damage can occur. From what Ive heard...dont use them on a Scooby P1....the paint will drop off!!

Any other help, drop me an email.

Cheers

Brett

Old 06 February 2001, 05:22 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

If you want a pressure washer to last and use it a lot, make sure you get one with brass rather than nylon internals/fittings. These are more expensive, but well worth it. Extensive use has proved (like any tool) you get what you pay for!
Old 07 February 2001, 07:50 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by blp:
<B>
From what Ive heard...dont use them on a Scooby P1....the paint will drop off!!
[/quote]

Is this true? can anybody back this up? if the paint falls of during washing then surely the car is not 'fit for purpose' and should be rectified under warranty. Does it mention anything in the owners manual about not washing the car with a jet wash.

Do you think this would be something 'Anne Robinson' would want to get her teeth into.
£30K car with sub-standard paintjob.

Regards
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 07 February 2001).]
Old 07 February 2001, 07:20 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Used a jetwasher on my P1 many time. Very easy to clean the car with this and the Wax Wizard treatment. The dirt comes away very quickly.

As for the paint dropping off, mine is still gleaming white, so i dont think this is really a problem....
Old 08 February 2001, 04:42 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Just to back up what Moss said . I worked at servicing pressure washers , mostly K'A'rcher , for 7 years and all the cheaper K'A'rcher models ( &lt;£150 ) are built with a plastic pump and a tiny motor . The official line from K'A'rcher was that they are designed to last until the guarantee runs out and if anything goes wrong after that you chuck it in the bin as it will cost too much to fix . If you are going for one of the cheap ones I would go for something like a power devil at around £60 which is 1/2 the price of a similiar K'A'rcher so when you have to chuck it in the bin you won't feel as bad . I believe the small KEW pumps are similiar .
If you go for a bigger pump try to get one with a braided wire hose as a lot of them have plastic hoses which burst easily if you drive over it or the dog chews it . One with a brass pump is the best for good service . One of the best pumps on the market is the Interpump - thats what I have myself .
Don't be tempted by the cheap 'compact' hot washers under £1000 . They are all rubbish . You would be better with a top of the range cold washer or a 2nd hand good hot wash than one of these .
A place I can recommend is Nailsea Power Cleaning near Bristol . They cover all of England and have excellent service backup . They supply the place where I used to work here in NI .
Old 08 February 2001, 09:00 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I bought a karcher washer from halfords last year. I find it excellent, especially for the alloy wheels. I think it was reduced from £200 to £160 at Halfords, with a free brush.

I would recommend buying one which will take 60 deg water temperature, so that you can connect it to the hot tap and use it as a steam cleaner for the oily bits etc.

Don't bother with the detergent, it's too much faff and doesn't clean well - You have to mix it, then dip the tube into it, squirt on the suds, then dip the tube into a clean bucket of water to rinse out the system.
Old 08 February 2001, 09:11 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

As regards the P1...........
There is a recall on the front bumpers - Earlier models (I believe) - had a problem with paint sticking to the surface. I've heard similar things with regard to the rear wing - hence the reason why earlier models were supplied with the STi spoiler (until they sorted the problem out).....Otherwise - yes covered by the warranty (I've asked!)...

Gastro
Old 08 February 2001, 09:15 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've got one of those yellow Karcher jet washers from B&Q with the extra dirt buster attachment. Still wash the car with a bucket and sponge with zymol car wash stuff and use the washer to rinse and do wheels, arches and underneath. Next door think I'm mad . What is the Wax Wizard stuff like, got the Zymol kit at the Motorshow.