Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2002, 06:25 PM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the plunge and should have a new WRX parked on my driveway by this weekend...next week I will be embarking on a pan-European cruise - about 2000 miles roundtrip, of which half unrestricted German autobahns. That's most of the break-in period taken care of...

Just wondering if there are any particular points to keep in mind during this long drive. From what I understand I need to ensure I dont stay at 1 particular rpm too long - to keep varying speeds & selected gears.

Anything else to take into consideration? When is the first servicing due?
Old 27 February 2002, 06:50 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Yes,watch out for them Cosworth's there mighty quick and eat Scooby's for breakfast,brunch,dinner and the traditional Cup of Horlicks before bed...
Old 27 February 2002, 07:30 PM
my2009
Scooby Regular

Please spare us that cosworth BS... that POS no quality conventional thinking design car has no place in scoobynet.
Old 27 February 2002, 07:32 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

WRX Break in period - about 30 secs if that as they have no dead locks.

They require a service and oil change at 100miles and can then be opened up. The smart money says 4000rpm is the max before 1000miles. They do get looser though with age. Mine has done 6500miles now and I gave a ride to someone who hadn't been in it for a while. He comented on how it pulled better.

Better than any stock Cossie anyway !!!!

Steve

[Edited by Steve Sherwen - 2/27/2002 7:34:09 PM]
Old 27 February 2002, 07:46 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Your right Steve,a stock Cossie is slower....but can you give me details of any unmodded one's please..

I merely state facts...
Old 28 February 2002, 08:52 AM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Steve - thanks for your reply. Guess I'll have to get those first 1000 miles done asap...
Old 28 February 2002, 08:54 AM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Imatrukahs,

You must be the bloke who always butts into conversations between 2 strangers in the pub and proceeds to bore them with useless bits of information and misinformed opinions for the rest of the night.

Looks like you're a bit lost mate...as far as I understand this is a Subaru messageboard (the domainname might have tipped you off)...if you are interested in Ford Cosworths you may want to visit a Cosworth website:
http://www.cosworthrsclub.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Strip/5446/
http://www.fasterfords.dk/
http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk
http://freespace.virgin.net/iain.holt/
http://www.fordrsoc.org.nz/Models/modelsmain.htm
http://www.henrys-erben.de/linkswin.htm
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ilpok/ford.html
http://www.alaska.net/~meacham/cossies/intro.html
http://cosworth.no/
http://personal.inet.fi/surf/cosworth/sierrars500.htm

FWIW I would have considered a Focus RS as an alternative for the Subaru, but Ford have postponed the release of that car for more than 2 years now...

As for the abundance of modded Cossies - those cars mustnt be any good then if every owner has had to resort to modifying them?
Old 28 February 2002, 08:55 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

WRX SEE - I think Steve dropped a zero the first service/oil change is at 1,000 miles. Basically you are running a light oil at the moment.

Also you should certainly avoid using the turbo (therefore going over 4000 revs) for the 1,000 mile period.

Mark
Old 28 February 2002, 08:56 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

imatrukahs: you are a do88er

if its not helpfull, buqqer off.
Old 28 February 2002, 09:01 AM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Mark,

If an oil change is required at 1000 miles, what action would you recommend for the 2000 mile trip I'm taking next week? Get an oil change done at the point of destination or can I run the car for the additional 1000 miles, just taking it easy?

[Edited by WRX SEE - 2/28/2002 9:01:47 AM]
Old 28 February 2002, 09:11 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Red face

WRX SEE

I would suggest talking to you dealer or driving the car loads this week!

The light oil is not intended for long-term us also going 1,000 miles plus over your service interval is likely to be a warrenty issue!

The service takes about an hour, nothing really to it but if you are planning on selling the car in future you might want a service history.

Mark
Old 28 February 2002, 09:19 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

It might be worth finding a subaru Dealer in Europe and doing the 1000 mile service there. Although Some European countries don't have the 1000 mile service, they'll be able to perform it for you.

It's only an hour or so, so you can plan it in as a 'pit stop' on your way down.

Phone Subaru and ask them what to do.
Old 28 February 2002, 09:32 AM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

WRX SEE ... congratulations on the new motor, no doubts you will enjoy it . Two years back I drove almost non-stop in my Saxo VTS to Croatia, 1200 miles in 24 hours door-to-door, although the little motor performed well the temperature needle did get a little high at times This year just gone however, I drove down again (with the missus in the car this car so 'had to be more sensible') and the temperature needle didn't move a mm - the car was fantastic and mpg was still late 20s when cruising just into 3 figure speeds. If you're going on the autobahn south of Nurburg, this is a fantastic stretch of road, dead straight although slightly undulating for c. 25 miles - it was here where I discovered just how bloody fast the Scoobs are If you were going anything less than a 100mph you'd get left behind on the inside lane. IMHO the car (MY99 Turbo 4dr SS BB and ITG filter) felt more stable c. 130mph than it did at 90, great car and still was capable of thrusting the missus back in her seat in 5th well into 3 figures - brilliant!

Enjoy the car and the journey

Phil
Old 28 February 2002, 09:49 AM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, just got off the phone with the dealer and he told me the car only needed its first service at 12500km. A bit confused, but as the dealer is also responsible for the warranty, I obviously don't really mind going on his word.

I will be driving through Northern Germany, which in my understanding is less busy than Southern Germany. I will try to time it at night to reduce traffic even more...
Old 28 February 2002, 09:52 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

WRX See

Get it in writing, then they have no come back. Not that they would renage on what they said, but it's best to be careful.
Old 28 February 2002, 09:56 AM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

I will get it in writing - I'm assuming the dealer will fit a 'next service due' tag to the car anyway.

Organising some interesting stuff that I have never dealt with before now... winter tyres, which are mandatory here between 1/12 and 15/5 each year...spiked or non-spiked / speed ratings / rim sizes.
Old 28 February 2002, 10:49 AM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Well..it's official Scooby owners lack sense of humour..get a Cossie and one will readily come to you along with more horses and grin factor...not to mention schoolgirls.

It's not big or clever as a newbie to take the pi$$ out of a superior car..engine wise only i hasten to add.....

PS...a big f*ck you for good measure....
Old 28 February 2002, 11:01 AM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

>> Well..it's official Scooby owners lack sense of humour..get a
>> Cossie and one will readily come to you along with more horses
>> and grin factor...not to mention schoolgirls.

Show me a new Cossie e.g. Focus RS and I'll consider buying it. A 10-year old car with outdated styling is simply out of the question.

It's easy to impress schoolgirls - if that's what gets your kicks you're either quite young - which is unlikely as you'll never get insurance on a Cosworth - or quite sad.

>> It's not big or clever as a newbie to take the pi$$ out of a
>> superior car..engine wise only i hasten to add.....

It's not particularly clever as a Cosworth owner - if you do own one - to waste your time making random comments on a Subaru Impreza website.

>> PS...a big f*ck you for good measure....

Flattery will get you nowhere...

[Edited by WRX SEE - 2/28/2002 11:02:29 AM]
Old 28 February 2002, 11:08 AM
Mildo
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to use super unleaded or Optimax, I've found it makes a difference.
Old 28 February 2002, 11:16 AM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Sorry the school girl thing has got to stop...it's the uniform...Britney Spears in Baby One More Time is to blame,you see there is proof that pop music corrupts..

Sorry a digress,i am here because it's fun,although the occupants come across as very square sometimes......