Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slagging off Scoobies - the Alfas

Read this thread for a laugh - found on Alfa forum

Had a little dice with a Scooby last night - Alfa Romeo Forum

Old 18 March 2009, 08:58 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His profile says he has a 147 GTA which i believe has around 250bhp? 0-60 in 6.3 and a top speed of 153mph so on the road there probably wouldn't be a massive amount in it.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

From that thread:

Are there any stock scoobies? I think it's the kind of car people buy to tune and chav up
LOL, what a reputation we have
Old 18 March 2009, 09:26 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

From that thread:
Originally Posted by edward
I would like to have a go in one, just for a while, just to see what all the fuss is about. I guess it is a bit like sleeping with an ugly girl...you just don't know until you have tried
Must be talking about my bugeye lol. She may not be the best looking but the best ride of your life.

Originally Posted by Alfella
Dont know much about Subarus but from what I've heard they need a complete engine rebuild every 60,000 miles or so. Maybe thats why the owners all cling together in groups discussing engine rebuilds.
The irony coming from an Alfa driver
Old 18 March 2009, 09:39 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

They are just jealous - clinging on to a motorsport heritage from 50 years ago. The modern Alfa's owe nothing to the pretty rwd sports cars of the 50's and 60's. Alfa's of the 70's and 80's are just piles of rust now!!!!
Old 18 March 2009, 09:43 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

This reminds me, had a play with an xk8 yesterday, I think the guy got annoyed coz everytime he looked up he had a 156 in his mirror, eventually he pulled into the middle lane once we drove onto the mway, and waved me passed. the look on his face was classic!

ha ha ha ah...probably thinking fek off and have your boy race with someone who cares LMAO
Old 18 March 2009, 09:50 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Why do these people seem to have the opinion we are all out there to prove something???

Ive had a fiesta pass me on the motorway... not because he was quicker than me, but because Id see the flashing blue lights up ahead

Not ALL scoobs want to thrash it all the time... a time and a place and tbh I wouldnt even look twice at an alfa.. had no idea they were 'quick' lol.. so it would proably sail past me then be posting the next day
Old 18 March 2009, 09:54 AM
Jonlu
Scooby Regular

The 147 GTA 'was' one of the quickest hatchbacks in a straight line - but strangely enough, one of the crappest around a track. Don't think they have any technology to control the power in the front wheels unfortunately. Pity as they aren't bad looking cars.

I remember watching a shootout on Top Gear. Something like Focus RS vs R32 vs 147 GTA. Although it wiped the floor with them in the 1/4 mile sprint; the circuit time was abismal....but the presenters still said they preferred the Alfa. I still think they look nice, especially the autodelta version but wouldn't swap my scooby for one.

YouTube - Alfa 147 gta top gear

Believe this is the link
Old 18 March 2009, 09:57 AM
ScottJ
Scooby Regular

In the 3 years Ive owned an Impreza, I have never had a single thing go wrong with it (touch wood). My friend who owns an Alfa seems to spend half of his life getting something or other fixed. Its a well known fact the Alfa's are unreliable haha.

Does make me laugh though. Im forever faced with the chav mobile's who are looking for a race..
Old 18 March 2009, 10:05 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

A friend got "given" a 2001 Alfa (yes..that worthless 2nd hand)... 55k on the clock...he was well happy... until it went wrong and needed a new crank sensor fitted, so he took it to his local Alfa garage and they informed him it also needed a 60k serivce.. for a whopping £1k.

So I told him I'd ask my mate (who runs a garage) to put together a quote (thinking £4-500)... and he rang me when the parts cost alone hit £700!...and he hadn't finished.. (twin spark, £15 a plug, and there are 8 of em)

Eventually...after he plumped for the main dealer...he walked away £1400 lighter....

Even my Porsche didn't cost that much to service.

Last edited by scooby L; 18 March 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:06 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Come on guys its not just the Alfa boys that slag us off its everyone...

99% of members on a Jap Car Forum i belong to are all haters as well...One of the funniest comments i read on the forum was how a guy in an Accord Type R frequently beats Scoobys but cant beat EVO's.....

When i told him he's talking crap he offered to meet me on a dual carriageway to prove it....what a tit..!!!

Theres not a day go's by without one of the Honda Kids posting " Vtec kicked in yo".........errr great...
Old 18 March 2009, 10:17 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I must admit....

I do like this...(If I had money to burn)

Old 18 March 2009, 10:20 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Without fail, at some point in an average week, someone will want to "try it on"

Having only just picked up my car on Monday I had some **** in a Civic Type R (Old old shape) buzzing round me. My wife was behind me in her car and isn't mega confident on motorways on her own. I just ignored him but it took a while to get the message across.

As for Alfas bad mouthing Imprezas something about stones and houses made of glass springs to mind.

PLUS - I've heard on a few occasions that the alfa boxer and subaru boxer bare more than a passing resemblance to each other - what I've read anyway.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:27 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides 90% of Jap cars have names which could easily be found on toasters, kettles, fan heaters and computers!
Subaru toaster??

P1ssing myself laughing reading that thread.
I hope my computer doesn't catch Alfaromeoitis where all the buttons on my keyboard start falling off

Last edited by BLU; 18 March 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:56 AM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

i like this quote
Barry Boys car - not even worth racing! Its like comparing a pair of Italian hand made leather shoes to a pair of Japanese PVC trainers.

people still see beating a subaru as claiming real scalp ,we see it all the time on different forums,we should be proud that our old jap **** boxes are still the bench mark for affordable performance.
it will be interesting to see how many quick alfas will be left on our roads in 10 yrs time,not many i bet they will be stacked high as the best looking car in the scrap yard.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:57 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

What a bunch of egotistical saddos...!

They are slagging a Scooby owner for having the cleanest car in the car park - always - like that's a bad thing?

I see it as someone who is PROUD to own a Scooby & takes care of what he has..........oh such a crime!!
Old 18 March 2009, 12:02 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

I had an alfa 156 1.8 and then a 2.5 v6 i thought the v6 6 speed was fast untill i moved onto scoobs. The v6 would pull like a train in any gear. But nothing if the scoobs on boost.
I liked the alfa and still do, but i like the roar power of my00.

Last edited by scooby1doo1; 18 March 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 18 March 2009, 12:20 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alfella
Dont know much about Subarus but from what I've heard they need a complete engine rebuild every 60,000 miles or so. Maybe thats why the owners all cling together in groups discussing engine rebuilds.

He was correct though.....He doesnt know anything about Subaru`s
Old 18 March 2009, 12:27 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

Its just the same as when an of you lot come on and tell us about the poor mans porsche you showed up.

Old 18 March 2009, 01:02 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

Re: Had a little dice with a Scooby last night

what a load of pi$$ taken from alfa form lol

I had a little dice with a scooby in a transit van, it was quite amusing, saw him coming up on the inside round the roundabout had exactly the right gear and nailed it, watched him change down to 4th realise that wasnt enough so he took it down to 3rd and managed to get passed, just. The ace card was we had just fitted a 3.0 V6 Alfa Romeo engine in the transit, that surprised him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was an old BT van in grey as well he must have been very confused, I could just imagine what he said to his mates down the pub
Old 18 March 2009, 01:04 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I don't get it, I don't get it at all.
A poverty spec UK Impreaza up to 99 came with about 220bhp with a fair whack of that lost through the AWD.
Accord typeR and civic typeR and GTA etc all similarly powered but without the huge losses so in a rolling start there will be nothing in it, and indeed if the Impreza driver has less nuts than the other then they will come off 2nd best.

Look in General section and see the "I lost to a 172/CTR etc" threads to see this happen on a regular basis.

As to the looks of a car, well how subjective can you get? Alfas are generally well thought out cars with good lines and form so again, where's the issue?
Old 18 March 2009, 01:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Peanuts
I don't get it, I don't get it at all.
A poverty spec UK Impreaza up to 99 came with about 220bhp with a fair whack of that lost through the AWD.
Accord typeR and civic typeR and GTA etc all similarly powered but without the huge losses so in a rolling start there will be nothing in it, and indeed if the Impreza driver has less nuts than the other then they will come off 2nd best.

Look in General section and see the "I lost to a 172/CTR etc" threads to see this happen on a regular basis.

As to the looks of a car, well how subjective can you get? Alfas are generally well thought out cars with good lines and form so again, where's the issue?
What do you mean? Why bother picking on the Subaru or why bother comparing everything to a subaru because theres really not much in it?

I REALLY wanted a Lancia Integrale and would have forgiven it anything but the first drive of it I didn't like it at all. Back in an Impreza after 18 months and its like putting on a comfy pair of trainers.

Cheap imported trainers apparently but still comfy. Not some hoity toity side swapping surrender monkey loafers.
Old 18 March 2009, 01:35 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I love the stick I get from other people about scoobs, Its funny. Real car enthusiast respect good cars. Subarus seem to be what so many other car owners measure themselves against.
Go to any Alfa, Vauxhall, Vw, Citreon, Pug...etc etc forum and they will have countless posts about how they beat a scooby.

From time to time we will have people post how the beat a Porsche or something on here but for the most part we are to happy with our own cars performance to worry about what an Alfa or similar is running.

Evo forums seem to be the same as us, They know they have good cars and thats that.

But still if it beating a scooby is what they aspire to then good for them, Maybe if they ask there wife's really nicely they might be able to get rid of the sales rep car and buy a scoob for themselves

Last edited by Timwinner; 18 March 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 18 March 2009, 01:35 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

So which bit's dont we agree with?

That some Alpha's are quicker than some Subaru's once rolling?
That Impreza's aren't a good looking car?
That some of them have fell into the wrong hands?

I think some of us need to wake up & smell the coffee
Old 18 March 2009, 01:52 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

As i drive an Alfa and know the fella who posted up having a wee go against an Impreza, i can assure you his car is every bit as fast as he says and with a Q2 diff fitted i think it also takes corners nicely.

The Impreza he was racing also was far from standard according to the previous owner too.

I love Subarus and have for years but they really are **** poor inside and out, but when i have the money for a second car for weekend use i'll have one cus i love em. But for every other occasion i'm sticking with Alfa's and if you check thru that forum u'll see that lately i've been having serious bad luck with mine but its still the nicest car in every carpark i go into even if it only has a weedy 1.6 engine.
Old 18 March 2009, 02:15 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
As i drive an Alfa and know the fella who posted up having a wee go against an Impreza, i can assure you his car is every bit as fast as he says and with a Q2 diff fitted i think it also takes corners nicely.

The Impreza he was racing also was far from standard according to the previous owner too.

I love Subarus and have for years but they really are **** poor inside and out, but when i have the money for a second car for weekend use i'll have one cus i love em. But for every other occasion i'm sticking with Alfa's and if you check thru that forum u'll see that lately i've been having serious bad luck with mine but its still the nicest car in every carpark i go into even if it only has a weedy 1.6 engine.
Some people say SKODAS look good, but saying best in every car park is tosh. Owners personal Opinion (mines the best in any car park to)
If the scoob was 280ish it should do 0-60 in under 5 seconds alfa around low 6's GTA so with out speaking to the scooby driver it's tosh to.
147 GTA and the 01 scoob (not the fastist even modded) are about the same weight. moded scoob = more power to weight then the GTA (if GTA not modded) Alfa what alfa.
Old 18 March 2009, 02:20 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

sorry but that sounds like pish scooby1doo1.
rolling starts by definition dont involve the 0-xx aspect.
more flywheel power to weight yes, but I'd put a tenner to your quid that more of that power goes to the alfa wheels.
Old 18 March 2009, 02:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1
Some people say SKODAS look good, but saying best in every car park is tosh. Owners personal Opinion (mines the best in any car park to)
If the scoob was 280ish it should do 0-60 in under 5 seconds alfa around low 6's GTA so with out speaking to the scooby driver it's tosh to.
147 GTA and the 01 scoob (not the fastist even modded) are about the same weight. moded scoob = more power to weight then the GTA (if GTA not modded) Alfa what alfa.
you my friend sound like an idiot. just like choice this is a personal opinion.
Old 18 March 2009, 02:30 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
sorry but that sounds like pish scooby1doo1.
rolling starts by definition dont involve the 0-xx aspect.
more flywheel power to weight yes, but I'd put a tenner to your quid that more of that power goes to the alfa wheels.
Explain in more detail, if not all the power is going to the scoobs wheels where is it going.
Just done a power to weight on both cars alfa 181 bhp per ton ish scoob 207 bhp per ton = 26 so the alfa driver would have done what he said.
Old 18 March 2009, 02:32 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
you my friend sound like an idiot. just like choice this is a personal opinion.
N Ireland are full of them

Quick Reply: Slagging off Scoobies - the Alfas