Sponsored by:

V5 STI are they rare?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2009, 01:38 AM
stupidscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5 STI are they rare?

As above everyone. They dont seem to come up very often in v5 form. I regularly check the adds on here, ebay and pistonheads and they seem a bit thin on the ground, are they? or is it just me?. Also what spec are they ie bhp, 0-60 bhp and what common problems do they have. Ive tried the search function and get 1000's of results. Thanks everyone
Old 18 March 2009, 03:25 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Hi - I had an STI v5 wagon (dark mettalic grey) from 2002 - 2005 and there were always quite a few saloons around at the time with owners who were active on scoobynet. I cant imagine theyve all been crashed/broken but maybe the people who still have them are holding onto them. After all, theyre great cars.

I only sold mine due to cash issues and a piston failure (one of the common problems amongst high mileage scoobies in my experience) and id already gone through a recent high spec rebuild of my wrx engine and couldnt afford another.

My wagon was sold to a guy from birmingham whose brother was gonna use it for a track car.

As for performance figures i dont wanna rough guess and i cant remember for sure but it was a sub 5 sec 0-60 and a minimum of 280bhp with many standard(ish) cars putting out at least that or a bit more on rolling road days, on uk fuel.

Real world driving : was my favourite impreza of the 5 ive owned. If you can find one in good nick or thats already gone thru an expensive engine rebuild, id seriously think about it.
Old 18 March 2009, 03:33 AM
stupidscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, Ive heard that they have dodgy maf sensors which causes the engines to run lean and 'do" a piston. Its really a throw up between a version 5 Sti saloon or a V3 Type R. Im leaning towards the version 5 because I prefer the interior and it also has a remappable ECU. I dont know if I can justify the type r because I only do a few airfield and trackdays a year.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:53 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There don't seem to be many 5's around at the moment, I've been looking myself for the last few weeks. Of those that are for sale, many of them are at dodgy garages that I wouldn't touch with a long pole - make sure you do some research on any dealer you plan to visit beforehand.

If you're happy with an STI 4, on the other hand, then you're laughing. They still have the new interior, though not the very latest engine. Not sure whether the ECU is mappable, but you can always get a Power FC instead and map that.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:37 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Had my v5 for a year and a half now, I was looking for a v4 and got lucky. Mines now done 99k and as far as I can tell has never had any serious problems, there are certainly steps you can take to minimise any risks. Performance wise its essentially the same spec as a P1 (unless you go for a Type R or RA ) with a few extra goodies thrown in all for a lot less cash.

With the used prices as they are at the moment I reckon people will be holding on to them and with the exchange rates fresh imports are going to be less likely. Good luck with the hunt, it'll be worth it.
Old 18 March 2009, 12:20 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure how rare the v5 is? but my dad has a v6 WRX STI wagon (last of the classic shape) i know it had a few minor changes to the v5 but i am informed it was for the better with & it is brilliant & brought me into the world of Scoobies. Only problem he had with it to date was the MAF going, got it sorted at Litchfield & had a rolling road to see if it was running fine & it got 290bhp! & its a standard car!! on the books theyu say 280bhp!! so we were chuffed my dad is v tempted to sell it as he don't use it much (only has 40k on the clock) but after driving other cars it don't seem to compare as its arguably one of the best Scoobies made (the times they were winning in the rallys) & with the market today he is scared to sell it after he paid 15k+ plus for it. Still worth every penny

Last edited by Timur 008; 18 March 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 18 March 2009, 01:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I've just bought an MY00 WRX Type RA and I'm very pleased with it. No its not an STI and many people will say don't bother unless but I'm very happy with my decsion.

Theres two on pistonheads at the moment, one is a bit too expensive and the other seems about right assuming its history checks out.

It makes my UK turbo seem sedate by comparison and I've still not a chance to really explore its potential. Its also a fair bit cheaper to insure than an STI and its cheaper than my old UK turbo - although I'm over 30 now.
Old 18 March 2009, 03:00 PM
sti degsy
Scooby Regular

seen a couple of v5 type-r`s for sale and one in grey excluding the dodgy garages of course.
Old 18 March 2009, 03:14 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a couple of V5 Type-R's in a garage near me. It does seem fairly dodgy though. They have a yellow and DBM one.
Old 18 March 2009, 03:56 PM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

I have not seen many about either, whole or being broken up. Im after some parts for my 98 type r which is causing a few problems. The alloy bonnets seem to be like hens teeth
Old 18 March 2009, 04:01 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Get yourself a V3 TYPE-R Stupidscooby, you,ll love it believe me.... especially with 350/350 like mine......
Old 18 March 2009, 04:05 PM
CHUNKY.MONKEY.
Scooby Regular

hi mate
i have a sti v5 std. they are 280bhp on paper (altho some i think most power runs would suggest a bit towards the 300 mark)0-60 is 4.6
had mine for 2 years now did have a big end failure so had the whole lot done. think one of the biggest things is making sure its been mapped for uk fuel as i found out the hard way and regular service history! cracking motors tho seen a few on auto trader pm me if you need any other details mick
Old 18 March 2009, 04:23 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Timur 008
I'm not sure how rare the v5 is? but my dad has a v6 WRX STI wagon (last of the classic shape) i know it had a few minor changes to the v5 but i am informed it was for the better with & it is brilliant & brought me into the world of Scoobies. Only problem he had with it to date was the MAF going, got it sorted at Litchfield & had a rolling road to see if it was running fine & it got 290bhp! & its a standard car!! on the books theyu say 280bhp!! so we were chuffed my dad is v tempted to sell it as he don't use it much (only has 40k on the clock) but after driving other cars it don't seem to compare as its arguably one of the best Scoobies made (the times they were winning in the rallys) & with the market today he is scared to sell it after he paid 15k+ plus for it. Still worth every penny
You have PM
Old 18 March 2009, 06:10 PM
stupidscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pete
Get yourself a V3 TYPE-R Stupidscooby, you,ll love it believe me.... especially with 350/350 like mine......

Its tempting mate but im not overkeen on the earlier dashboard. I also keep seeing many v3+4 which say they have been remapped, how is this possible?. I thought the v3+4 needed at least a upgraded ecu?. thanks
Old 18 March 2009, 06:10 PM
stupidscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
There is a couple of V5 Type-R's in a garage near me. It does seem fairly dodgy though. They have a yellow and DBM one.
Is that on the edge of Rainham by any chance?
Old 18 March 2009, 07:37 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stupidscooby
Its tempting mate but im not overkeen on the earlier dashboard. I also keep seeing many v3+4 which say they have been remapped, how is this possible?. I thought the v3+4 needed at least a upgraded ecu?. thanks

Yes they do matey, i have a Motec M800 ecu in mine, VERY expensive bit of kit too, does have anti-lag, launch control etc etc.

You can get alot cheaper aftermarket ECU`s though.

But it,s a none starter if you don,t want the older dash etc anyway, just that the V3 is the best of the bunch...
Old 18 March 2009, 07:42 PM
stupidscooby
Scooby Regular

Yes they do matey, i have a Motec M800 ecu in mine, VERY expensive bit of kit too, does have anti-lag, launch control etc etc.

You can get alot cheaper aftermarket ECU`s though.

But it,s a none starter if you don,t want the older dash etc anyway, just that the V3 is the best of the bunch...
Whats the spec for a v3 type r Pete. Would love a two door
Old 18 March 2009, 07:53 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Whats the spec for a v3 type r Pete. Would love a two door

DCCD, your usual 280bhp, bit more aggresive cams too if i,m not mistaken, water spray bla bla, mine has NO airbags, i think also the V3 was ok run here on 97-98 fules because it wasn,t til late 1997-98 that the 100 ron fuel became available in Japan.. still good to have them mapped though, not just for fuel, but to unleash a few more horses etc..

VIEW MY GARAGE fella..
Old 18 March 2009, 08:22 PM
stupidscooby
Scooby Regular

TBH im not planning on going mad on my next car. Ideally Im after 300-315bhp similar torque. Is it possible with apexi ecu,remap and exhaust to reach the above amount.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:27 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

TBH im not planning on going mad on my next car. Ideally Im after 300-315bhp similar torque. Is it possible with apexi ecu,remap and exhaust to reach the above amount.
Yes it is, 3" turbo back imo and i,d upgrade the fuel Pump to be safe..

315/320 makes a VERY nice responsive road car AND doesn,t put a huge dent in your wallet...
Old 18 March 2009, 09:48 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I have an STI5 (Cool Grey Metallic). Having had from new since Aug 99 I know that this is by far the best colour and would never have changed

I was put off a Type R at the time because

1. I wanted a practical 4 door saloon, not a 2 door
2. The R has shorter gear box ratio's and I was told and I still hold the opinion that the gearbox is weaker than a std STI5 (I have a PPG Gearbox in mine as its running a bit over the stock 280bhp)

Mine is not for sale but would be if I could find a Spec C Type RA at a reasonable price - not the laughable prices I see on PistonHeads. I only want as a Base unit anyway then I want to sort out a 600+bhp motor for the Track. I just want a newer car, thats all...... something different. But I've invested so much in the engine, suspension (Exe-TC), Gearbox, etc that I wouldnt sell for much less than about £12k

Issues that I can think of

1. Handling isnt great standard - needs to be set up properly
2. Brakes arent great if abused - you really need AP's
3. Maf sensors - I dont know though as junked mine back in 2000........ ;-)

I've spent in excess of £100k on my car over the years........
Old 18 March 2009, 09:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

V5s arent rare, but V6s are far less common and V6 'Wagons are very seldom seen.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Fangoria
I have an STI5 (Cool Grey Metallic). Having had from new since Aug 99 I know that this is by far the best colour and would never have changed
Sorry, I have to disagree. I had a grey typeR and one of the reasons for selling it was I couldn't get on with the colour. Sonic blue is the best colour by far.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:19 PM
sparkytrix
Scooby Regular

v5 STi's are awesome, the type R's especially, watch that maf tho
Old 18 March 2009, 10:35 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria

I've spent in excess of £100k on my car over the years........

Bloodyhell, that,s serious money Fangoria, how come?? many different specs i guess?? instead of doing it right first time??
Old 18 March 2009, 10:46 PM
philhasasti
Scooby Regular

i have a v5 sti!!
love it!! enough said!!
Old 18 March 2009, 11:07 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that on the edge of Rainham by any chance?
Yep, new road. They also got a bugeye WRX in white, with a black bonnet.
Have you looked at the type R's there?
Old 18 March 2009, 11:19 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DCCD, your usual 280bhp, bit more aggresive cams too if i,m not mistaken, water spray bla bla, mine has NO airbags, i think also the V3 was ok run here on 97-98 fules because it wasn,t til late 1997-98 that the 100 ron fuel became available in Japan.. still good to have them mapped though, not just for fuel, but to unleash a few more horses etc..

VIEW MY GARAGE fella..
My V3 STi wagon managed 326 bhp @ about 7,200 rpm at a Subaru rolling road day. Standard except for full decat and k&n. The V9 STi's with prodrive performance pack managed about 310 bhp, V4 and V5's were between 265 and 290 bhp. Chap that owns the rolling road wouldn't believe it was basically standard.

Had the V3 10 years this year and it's never missed a beat (well almost, been in the garage as a toy for last 3 yrs and looks like MAF isn't happy)
Old 18 March 2009, 11:36 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

I have a V.5, lovely bit of kit with facelifted interior and exterior It gets my vote To be honest though, i'd have the V3 as well, the dash doesn't bother me, especially if you get it flocked, looks really nice when that has been done.
Old 18 March 2009, 11:40 PM
carpboy
Scooby Regular

My mate has a ver 7 sti wagon in white ,thats rare

Quick Reply: V5 STI are they rare?