HELP! 15K for a 'Y' plate P1!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2001, 12:01 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

OR:

Prodrive are currently working on a PPP for the MY01. Supposed to be VERY effective.

Mr ScoobyGod Croney is modding his MY01 as we speak (actually at 12:00 on a Saturday he's probably trawling the net with a coffee and donut in his hand... )

The MY01 STI comes in later this year....at a projected price of less than a P1...

Like the MY01 or not, the P1 is an obsolete Scoob...

I've thought about exactly the same as you - and discounted it cos of the above.

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 03 February 2001, 12:04 AM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but your MY00 is't worth £16k. Sounds like a good deal I would go for it

Martin
Old 03 February 2001, 12:08 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Martin,

according to
Old 03 February 2001, 12:11 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>OR:

Prodrive are currently working on a PPP for the MY01. Supposed to be VERY effective.

Mr ScoobyGod Croney is modding his MY01 as we speak (actually at 12:00 on a Saturday he's probably trawling the net with a coffee and donut in his hand... )

The MY01 STI comes in later this year....at a projected price of less than a P1...

Like the MY01 or not, the P1 is an obsolete Scoob...

I've thought about exactly the same as you - and discounted it cos of the above.

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 03 February 2001).][/quote]

Edited after further thought - PeteC probably can't get on his own PC cos Pat's on it.....

Old 03 February 2001, 12:14 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right - Gut Reaction - If you want the P1 go in with an offer of £28k cash - they will take your arm off.

Then you can sell your Scoob for £13500 and still come out even - so, anything over £13.5K is in your pocket, NOT the dealers! I have to say that £16500 for your car may be a little hopeful, sorry.

However the P1 is obsolete, 2 door, no radio and thier values are sinking fast. Make no mistake, its a superb car - but it was overpriced when it was launched and it was a current model then and the Impreza bubble had not burst - you know its all true - but let your heart have some say!!

Purely on sense - Dont do it!!!! you are throwing good money at a car that will be worth £8,000 less the moment you pull away from the dealers.

Or follow your heart and go get it!! its only money and only has any value when its spent!!

pete
Old 03 February 2001, 12:22 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Talking

Excellent thoughts...keep 'em coming plse

I'm off line for 2hrs or so...the dealer's letting me have a demo at 12.30'ish in his 'demo' P1...not the brand new one he's offering me...and I've never driven or been in one yet.

I'll report back....
Old 03 February 2001, 12:31 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Smile

If what's been said above is true about them having trouble shifting them um and ah a bit then offer him 13k...

Old 03 February 2001, 10:36 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Question

I've just been offered £15K (in the dealers favour!) for a 'swapover' price from a completeley std UK MY00(V) 8000 miles, to a 'standard' (ie no Alcons etc etc) Y-reg (1/3/01) brand new P1

PLEASE - everyone who reads this just take a moment to reply with your initial thoughts. Is is a 'must-have' bargain or just 'so-so'????

...cos IF ( ) I sold my MY00 for £16,500 and bought the P1 for cash (£30K, maybe, but I didn't ask) then the swapover is £13.5K

...or anyone seriously want a UK MY00(V) silver 8000 miles (Sony ICE + CD + SS Backbox) one lady owner (the wife), for £16500, no offers?????

Please take a moment to share your thoughts - I really don't know what to do!!

Thanks, Martin
Old 03 February 2001, 11:28 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

Go for it.

But you will always do better selling your car to a private buyer.

...R
Old 03 February 2001, 11:54 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for your time, RV

C'mon everyone who reads this - just give me your gut reaction plse

TIA
Old 03 February 2001, 01:10 PM
davrhod
Scooby Newbie

Martin I don`t think the dealer`s offer is too great.I was thinking of swapping as well. MY00 [W] 9k UK 4 door, opening offer from my dealer was 12k and I`m sure there`s more to come with a bit of haggling. It`s a great car and with the numbers still out there I`m sure you`ll get a better deal, maybe not from your dealer but there are still cars out there waiting to be snapped up before the new STI gets here.
Old 03 February 2001, 01:23 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

****! Once you have driven the P1 you <I>will</I> buy it!

At 31k the P1 is indeed overpriced, but I still haven't seen the real bargains that pslewis has been harping on about for months.

And remember, the statements about the P1 being obsolete are just opinions - everyone's entitled to their opinion but remember ... pslewis lurks on this board for the <I>sole purpose</I> of slagging the P1 ... there is an opposite view that the current shape Impreza is the classic shape and the P1 is the best of this shape. That's my view and it's EVO's view as well - they gave it 3rd in their COTY, just behind a 90k Porsche and a 120k Lambo. So what if there's a MY01 Sti coming, Sti have so much more to do to get over the well-documented performance weaknesses of the MY01 as compared to the MY00 and earlier that there's no guarantee that the MY01 Sti will be as good as the current Sti. And even if it is you'll still have a car that looks like it was made in Korea.

And anyway, you want it <B>now</B>, right?

Jack

[This message has been edited by Father Jack Hackett (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 03 February 2001, 01:51 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I dont think the P1 is worth such as premium - I would'nt want to pay a premium of more thna £5k - especially as the second hand value of the P1 has dived - I rememeber dealers struggling to sell them for £24k!

I'd keep the standard one - much better value
Old 03 February 2001, 02:00 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I went in to my local dealers as soon as I heard about the P1 on scoobynet (incidental he asked me about it, as he hadnt heard ). The deal worked out similar to yours I had a low mileage MY98 UK at the time. Basically it worked out as 16K + my car. I couldnt believe this car was twice as good as mine so I turned him down.

I now drive round in a brand new japanese import (classic shape ) and it suits me. Okay i may looe 000's on it but if you are scared of depreciation buy a banger for £250 with 12months mot every year and stick the money in the bank .

It depends how much you want a P1 .

cheers

chris

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 03 February 2001, 02:35 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard that some very good finance deals are on the way to help shift the last of the cars - 0% ! don't know over what period, but i'm told this will happen very shortly.

Steve.
Old 03 February 2001, 03:30 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Dave

ROTFLMAO

No donuts today, but I am on my 7th coffee as I type this

My WRX01 is coming along nicely now.

Leda put a huge amount of work in and it is simply the best handling car I have ever driven. The ride quality is so good, I keep underestimating its new cornering ability.

It also now has the new full exhaust system. This has turned it into a proper Impreza, grunt wise. Though it is so much quieter than the old car in the cabin. Guess lots of that extra weight is Dynomat. Outside, it sounds just the same The engine is much more advanced and I would think that there is now little if anything in it, acceleration wise. With the improved handling, this is the quicker car, across country, by a long way.

The WRC rear spoiler is being painted and gets fitted on Monday, as do the Brembos.

HID driving lights are fitted and HID headlights are being worked on at the moment.

I really missed my MY99 when it went, as it was such a good car, and I wondered if I should have kept it. The WRX01 is so much better.

[This message has been edited by Pete Croney (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 03 February 2001, 03:50 PM
Rich Groves
Scooby Regular

Martin,

On the Parkers Price Guide it shows your trade in value at £16500.00.Should there be this much difference between the Glass guide and Parkers.

Rich

Old 03 February 2001, 04:01 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

What a great BBS - thanks guys

Still undecided Yeh it was great to drive (21 miles on the clock, so a bit tight methinks).

As Steve says, is it twice as good? Don't think so, but may be we're close to the law of diminishing returns here?

15K swap price is after some reasonable haggling - started at 16K for the demo car, then 15K for the demo car, then 15K for the new one. Don't know how much he's got left.

Great (non-muppet!) point from D T-S ( )...its an obsolete car now, after all

So, Pete C...
....how much are the upgrades to your WRX gonna work out for the likes of me (wheels/tyres(?), Leda, spoiler, full exhaust, HID lights etc)
..and aren't you still at the std BHP (plus a bit for the 'zorst) , say 235 max???...
yeh, I know a good handling 235 will beat a poor handling 280 from A to B, but does the Leda really make a 235hp WRX01 "better" than a 280hp standard P1? .. an honest question (honest)
..and if you'd have had a P1 (and I'm sure you must have driven one or more) how would that compare to your modded WRX01??

Keep going chaps. I'm gonna have to sit it the corner with a cold towel on my head to think about this...whilst watching England whoop the Welsh, but that's another story...
Old 03 February 2001, 04:47 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
We have a MY01 STI here in Germany, it is not available to Joe Public but they have only managed to squeeze 274PS out of it so don't hold your hopes up for a monster MY01 STI thingy.

Steve

PS no it is not a German company calling themselves STI it is a pukka Jap outfit staffed by little yellow men.
Old 03 February 2001, 05:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Father Jack
Nuns/drink/**** (off
If there is a MY01 new model, then all of the old models - including mine - ARE obsolete. Not that I care, I knew the new one was due when I bought last year. It's going to be a better car ultimately. Impreza out in 93 in UK, only became the car it should have been in 99. The development time for the 01 will be much accelerated. That's progress.

PeteC
WRX01 sounds good - when can I come and have a go of it....please

Why no donuts - Pat scoffed em??

MartinM
I do post seriously occasionally....and sometimes make sense
Old 03 February 2001, 05:40 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've just spend 2 days solid getting prices and trying all the tricks I know to get the best deal on a new P1.
(Also see my P1 deals thread)
A lot of this comes down to whether you'll be happy with an ex-demo P1. There are currently about 28 ex-demos at dealers and they will give good deals on them in order to shift them. Real new ones, however, are much harder to get a good deal on. This doesn't mean that they are anything like good value, just that dealers aren't getting the same incentives to shift them as the ex-demos.
Most buyers seem to be going for the brakes, lights and back box, but not for the 18" wheels and Recaros. This also happens to be the spec I wanted. In my opinion it will be hard to sell a P1 one day without at least the brakes because they've had such a bad press for the standard ones. Drive them and you'll probably agree at the first corner!
I tried a couple of demos and both were thrashed, rattly and felt old. I'm willing to pay the extra for one that I can run in carefully (and then thrash mercilessly later!)
Some deals which seem cheap, or ones that other people have posted have been investigated and all turned out to be lies/ex-demos/pre-registered for 3 months.
The best deal I could get, cash, no p/x was £31,300 for the above spec. The second closest price was 900 more. And that's after ringing EVERY dealer in the country!
A low milage ex-demo with no Prodrive bits will cost you 28k if you're lucky. I'm happy to pay the extra for it being on a Y plate, unthrashed (yet) and with the right brakes, lights and noise.
Roll on March 1st!!
Steve
Old 03 February 2001, 06:51 PM
FatherTedCrilly
Scooby Newbie

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Father Jack Hackett:
<B>****! Once you have driven the P1 you <I>will</I> buy it!

At 31k the P1 is indeed overpriced, but I still haven't seen the real bargains that pslewis has been harping on about for months.

And remember, the statements about the P1 being obsolete are just opinions - everyone's entitled to their opinion but remember ... pslewis lurks on this board for the <I>sole purpose</I> of slagging the P1 ... there is an opposite view that the current shape Impreza is the classic shape and the P1 is the best of this shape. That's my view and it's EVO's view as well - they gave it 3rd in their COTY, just behind a 90k Porsche and a 120k Lambo. So what if there's a MY01 Sti coming, Sti have so much more to do to get over the well-documented performance weaknesses of the MY01 as compared to the MY00 and earlier that there's no guarantee that the MY01 Sti will be as good as the current Sti. And even if it is you'll still have a car that looks like it was made in Korea.

And anyway, you want it now</B>, right?

Jack

[This message has been edited by Father Jack Hackett (edited 03 February 2001).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Father Jack!!
Fecking Hell!!
Get to your room immediately you disgraceful man or I shall have Mrs Doyle deal with you!!
Old 03 February 2001, 10:56 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

On reflection this post is boring....sorry!

I've looked at the numbers again. Noting your thoughts, assume my MY00 is worth 15K now - it is low mileage, FSSH, one lady owner after all! I paid 21K for it in Jan 00

Option 1 - I spend 15K on going to a P1 on 1 Mar 01. I also get AP 6 pots (£1.7K). Since Jan 00 I've paid £37.7K. The day after I buy it, its worth say 26K (ouch) and on 1 Mar 02 I sell it for say 20K. I've lost 17.7K in about 2 years and I've (easily?) sold a standard 1 yr old P1 plus 6 pots with 2 yrs solid warranty on all but the brakes.

Option 2 - I keep my car. I go shopping tomorrow and spend £5.5K (Leda, 17" wheels and tyres, downpipe and mid-section, AP 6 pots, Link ECU etc). Since Jan 00 I've paid £26.5K. On 2 Mar 01 its worth 17.5K (15K for the car, and 50% of the shopping). On 1 Mar 02 I sell it for say 13.5K (12k for the car and 30% of the shopping). I've lost 13K in about 2 yrs and I've had (a difficult time?) selling a miscellaneously after-market modded 2 yr old MY00 with a dubious 12 months warranty left.

Option 3 - do nothing. On 1 Mar 02 I sell it for 12K. I've lost 9K in about 2 yrs and I've (easily?) sold a 2 yr old standard UK Impreza with 12 months solid warranty.

So..
A modded car loses me 4K over do nothing - but I've had a superb handling, 260hp car for a year.
A P1 loses me 8.7K over do nothing - but I've had a well-braked 280hp P1 (with aircon, as well) for a year.

You've no lifelines left...what do you think of the numbers (they're crucial) and do I go for Option 1, 2 or 3???

...Jeez, I thought this would be easy!!!!!!
Old 03 February 2001, 11:59 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

It's simple.

Do you want a P1. If you do, do the best deal you can and go and buy it.

I'm sure you wont regret it.
I didn't.

Russ

Old 04 February 2001, 12:50 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Russ - you in ESP with my wife...

"If you think you want and need one, then get one"...it's me that's the great undecided trying to justify it scientifically

Ok, so the heart's gonna rule my thoughts for the next day or so....
Old 04 February 2001, 03:29 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just because there's a new shape doesn't make the old one obsolete.

Bell & Colvill have their demonstrator on sale for £28.5k. It has 5k on the clock and i believe it is totally standard. I wouldn't touch a demonstrator with a bargepole.
Old 04 February 2001, 03:32 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Cool

Drive ... the CAR!
Old 04 February 2001, 04:10 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Question

Dear Father

I've driven the car and I'm showing weakness here - I might not be able to stop myself changing to a P1 (with a bit more negotiating needed tho'), so...

1) does a P1 understeer as badly as my MY00 on 16"s when pressing on
2) is the Powerstation bumpsteer mod relevant to the P1
3) there's no radio, but does a P1 have an aerial and F&R speakers i.e you just slot one in?
4) are the front disks, calipers and pads the same as MY00? If so, I'll go for Alcons or AP 6-pots. Any disadvantages to the APs in normal day to day driving eg 'from cold' performance, glazing after a time etc?
5) I'm sure I saw somewhere that a P1 takes 95RON, but the dealer said Super (ie 97RON). What do people use?

TIA

[This message has been edited by MartinM (edited 04 February 2001).]
Old 04 February 2001, 05:15 PM
ADZ
Scooby Newbie

On Friday I saw the latest Type RA STI V7, at my dealers, on its way to Prodive. Six speed gearbox, large gold coloured Brembo's, pity it was in white though. No idea of price as it was a Prodive car, first to arrive apparently!!!!
Old 04 February 2001, 05:53 PM
MrsDoyle
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Father Jack
Would you be liking a nice cup of tea after all that driving then???

Quick Reply: HELP! 15K for a 'Y' plate P1!!