Sponsored by:

Remap warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2009, 12:11 PM
cptcaveman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap warranty question

I’ve got an un-modded Hawkeye STI at the moment, that just doesn’t feel quick enough, I’d love to go the full exhauset/remap route, but I do a lot of miles (15k a year) and I’ve had 3 warranty claims in the last year and a half, and I’m hearing the familiar knock from the rear suspension starting again….. sooo I’m thinking of PPP’ing the car to keep the warranty (and extending it when it runs out) but I’ve heard a lot of people on here complain that the standard PPP map never makes the claimed figures, which kind of makes the £2k it costs seem really expensive, so my question is …if I get it PPP’d and decide to get it remapped at a later date, will my dealer be able to tell, ie if they plug it in to diagnose a fault is a remap obvious?

I’m not after big figures, but £2k for a 25 ish bhp increase seems expensive.

Thanks guys.
Old 14 March 2009, 06:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

only thing you can do without shafting your warrenty im afraid, so tis ether stasy as is or have a ppp
Old 14 March 2009, 06:24 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Is it just the shocks you are concerned about ? because I think you can get after market coil covers or shocks for about £650.
Subaru extended warranty is about £400 then plus the ppp you are talking a lot of money
you could be better off with new suspension,exhaust and a proper remap
Old 14 March 2009, 06:50 PM
cptcaveman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've had one of the shocks, the head gasket and a synchro replaced so far, would have cost a fortune without the warranty. It just seems to be pretty fragile, so i'm kind of expecting more of the same. Guess i better just stick to the PPP.

Thanks again
Old 14 March 2009, 07:08 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the warranty will not be void unless its an enginge failure for example the dealer must prove that the mod caused the fault like if the wipers stopped working, it could'nt have been the new map that caused it.
Old 14 March 2009, 07:12 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Yep, I would stick with the Prodrive route - they know what they are doing, that's why Subaru allow their warranty to run with that Mod. done.

Get someone else to re-map and the warranty disappears down the pan and you will be responsible for any damage done - stick with the professionals is my advice.
Old 14 March 2009, 07:15 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
the warranty will not be void unless its an enginge failure for example the dealer must prove that the mod caused the fault like if the wipers stopped working, it could'nt have been the new map that caused it.
It think it is down to the OWNER that needs to prove that an 'unapproved' Re-Map did NOT have any effect on the damage ...... extremely difficult to do.

Why risk it? I wouldn't ..... stick with the professionals - Prodrive.
Old 14 March 2009, 08:16 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

If you value your warranty, go for the PPP, just don't expect the quoted figures. I've had PPP on 2 cars and they differed massively in performance and delivery. You may be lucky and get one that does. Whatever happens you will have a far better exhaust note and more go. Bob