Just bought a MY2001 WRX STI Japanese spec....few questions

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2002, 01:19 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all,

I just bought a MY2001 WRX STI JPN spec with 300 miles on the odometer. (Silver)

It is currently in transit from Japan to here (The Bahamas). Arrival first week in April, can't wait ;-)

Yes we drive on the left here and RHD is perfect, also our emissions laws etc. are laxed so we can drive them 100% stock as was in Japan here. Only downfall: duty rate on cars with a value between 10k - 20K USD is 57%....yup that is 5 7 % :-( I will land the car here for about 30k USD. Not bad ;-)

Questions:

I heard 1,000 - 1,500 miles is a good run in time keeping below 4000 rpms ??

Should I change the oil after 1000 miles ??
anything else I should change besides oil and oil filter ??

What brand of oil to you recommend and what SAE weight for a hot climate and sea level like The Bahamas ??

Also, is there a easy way to bybass the 112 mph Japanese speed limator??

Note: After careful research I have found several stations that pump out 98 RON gas which should be ok although no lower is recomended.

If I remove the cats will the CEL come on, or can I remove certain ones that will keep it off, (I ran into CEL problems with my current car, 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST , turbo 2 litre, about 220 bhp. 14.5 psi.) 40,000 miles (need to sell it before STI arrives, keep fingers crossed :-)

What is this 'black box' I keep reading about ? Is it just the final stage of the exhaust , anyone have a pic ?

Also, what is the best air filter to get, I was wondering about those ram airs; however, don't they suck the hot air from the engine bay making them less effective than the stock filter which sucks colder air from outside the engine bay ??

As we know it is very hot and humid down here, usually about 88 - 91 degrees with 100% humidity in the summer, will I be ok with the 98 RON gas in this climate ??

Excellent site, packed with good info, thx :-)

Thats it for now....

Cheers,
Ray

Old 26 February 2002, 01:45 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Anyone out there can help a new Scooby dude ??? :=)
Old 26 February 2002, 01:54 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thre is only a few people up at this time of night you will have more luck early evening GMT

regards

Huxley Running MY95
Old 26 February 2002, 02:05 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thanks ;-)

G'night.
Old 26 February 2002, 02:18 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Another question :-)

I take it the MY2001 WRX STI-GL JPN spec comes with power locks standard ???

Cheers,
Ray
Old 26 February 2002, 11:24 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Ray, excellent choice of car.

Questions:

I heard 1,000 - 1,500 miles is a good run in time keeping below 4000 rpms ??
Yes.

Should I change the oil after 1000 miles ??
anything else I should change besides oil and oil filter ??
Yes. No. (in that order).

What brand of oil to you recommend and what SAE weight for a hot climate and sea level like The Bahamas ??
Go for a 10-50 or 15- 50 (SEMI SYNTHETIC) of any reputable brand, run it in carefully until around 4K miles then switch to something reputable like Redline or Motul fully synthetic 15W50.

Also, is there a easy way to bybass the 112 mph Japanese speed limator??
Yep, buy and install a de-limiter, most places that sell/deal with import cars can get them for you.

Note: After careful research I have found several stations that pump out 98 RON gas which should be ok although no lower is recomended.
NO that is definately NOT OK, that car needs 100 RON minimum, get some octane booster in and use it religiously!

If I remove the cats will the CEL come on, or can I remove certain ones that will keep it off?
Yes it will, there are "black boxes" that can overcome that though so you can do as you please with regard to fitting what exhaust you want.

What is this 'black box' I keep reading about ? Is it just the final stage of the exhaust , anyone have a pic ?
It's as it says, a small black box which sends a dummy signal to the ECU to prevent the CEL illumination after de-catting.

Also, what is the best air filter to get, I was wondering about those ram airs; however, don't they suck the hot air from the engine bay making them less effective than the stock filter which sucks colder air from outside the engine bay ??
An induction kit (a decent one) will move sufficiently more air than the losses of inducting slightly hotter air.

As we know it is very hot and humid down here, usually about 88 - 91 degrees with 100% humidity in the summer, will I be ok with the 98 RON gas in this climate ??
NO, see above.

Mike.
Old 26 February 2002, 12:32 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your helpful response.

I am now a bit worried about the gas situation. I have read a few other places that the 98 RON would be ok and the worst that could happen was that I lose 5 - 10 bhp; however, no engine damage would occur.

I am not sure if we have the correct octane boosters here on the island as we bring all of our car parts in the from the USA. Is there a description of the booster ingredients that I can get a hold of to confirm that the ones they sell here will be ok in my car. Also I heard that octane boosters can infact be bad for your engine and some have reported buildups that damaged spark plugs etc..

How much booster do you add per fillup....1 full container per fillup ???

Cheers,
Ray

PS: I think I will start a new topic with this question as I now need confirmation after conflicting responses. Not that I don't trust your expertise ;-)
Old 26 February 2002, 12:40 PM
JohnBarnesAndHisGloves
Scooby Regular

Wink

"my current car, 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST , turbo 2 litre, about 220 bhp. 14.5 psi.) 40,000 miles (need to sell it before STI arrives, keep fingers crossed"

Mate mate mate, is the Eclipse RHD??? Can you get them RHD??? My Mrs wants one BADLY, but she dosent want LHD, she has cash waiting! Hell, she may want yours if its RHD...

Cheers mate
Old 26 February 2002, 12:51 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Sorry the Eclipse is LHD. It is the USA version. I bought it new and have been the only owner. Problem is it only front wheel drive not the all wheel drive version that is why I am getting rid of it....want all wheel drive :-) hence the WRX STI I just bought ;-)

I am asking $12,000 USD for it; however, you will be able to get them much cheaper direct from the USA becuase I had to pay 57% duty on it when I brought it into Nassau, Bahamas. So my only option is to sell it locally as no one will be wanting to pay the extra 57% duty built into price that won't be built into the price in the USA.

Look on this web site for lots of eclipses:

www.autotrader.com

plug in: mitsubishi eclipse GST , plug in '33186' for area code when they ask and do a search on 'any distance'

make the price range 1,000 to 20,000

50 or more should pop up, only the GST and GSX are the turbo models with the GST being FWD and GSX all wheel drive. Good luck.

Ray :-)
Old 26 February 2002, 11:46 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No problem, mail me directg and I'll answer queries in more detail directly, mail E mail address is in my profile.

Mike.
Old 27 February 2002, 01:47 AM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Excellent Mike, I will hold you to that ;-)

Thanks again,
Ray
Old 27 February 2002, 10:04 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

to johnbarnesandhisgloves.

I also liked the look of the eclipse so did some digging around, it was mainly a us only car BUT Mitsubishi spain also sell them.

From what i could find they were about the only other country that did, the eclipse convertible is lovely as well

If you get really desperate/keen you can get them over there.