Sponsored by:

Scoobs in Italy? LHD's?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2002, 01:18 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It looks like i might have to leave Hong Kong for a move to Milan with my current job, leaving my STi5 behind. I've only had it four months or so and it will be very hard to say goodbye.

So, is there such a thing as a LHD old STi? I imagine there is for the newer STi7 but i'm still not sold on the styling. Is there also a reasponable service back-up for them on the continent so to speak, specifically Italy?

Thanks for any help. I need light at the end of my tunnel.

bss
Old 26 February 2002, 01:21 AM
Luke
BANNED

Switzerland will be the best place
Old 27 February 2002, 12:56 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Question

Okay, I've thought of some questions.

Can i register my RHD STi5 in Italy and get insurance etc. there?
What is the basic work needed for registering in the UK? Do i need to change the speedo to "miles" for example? For all purposes we can treat this like an import directly from Japan.
If i register it in the UK can i run and own the car on the continent, like a very long holiday trip?
Having never driven on the continent how easy is it to use a RHD car over there, in terms of possible Road Tolls etc.?

Thanks for any help to possibly difficult questions. You all know a lot more about this than I.

bss
Old 27 February 2002, 01:35 AM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

how much time do you have to stay there?

Caronte
Old 27 February 2002, 08:52 AM
Louise
Scooby Regular

There are motorway tolls in Italy. Quite pricey, but it is quite easy to avoid motorways if you want to. But if you are going to be living in Milan (are you?) then I really wouldn't recommend a Scoob there. If you have never been to Milan, you are in for a bit of surprise I think! The only car worth having there is a smart or a Fiat 500.
Old 27 February 2002, 09:03 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

I plan to live on the outskirts of Milan. Our factory is also on the outskirts, from memory.

If i have to pay tolls then there is not a lot i can do about that but hopefully i would be able to do it electronically and not by leaning over with coins in my hand.

Appreciate your help. I don't really think a Fiat500 is anywhere close to the equation regadless of whether parking means it is a sensible idea. I just can't stand them.
Old 27 February 2002, 09:12 AM
Louise
Scooby Regular

Smile

I shouldn't imagine you would have a toll into work. When I was there, I travelled to the outskirts and did not have to go through any tolls. If you ever need to travel into Milan the quickest way is the train I'm afraid!

You'll see hundreds of Fiat 500's and smarts out there! Be a nice change for them to see a Scoob

Old 27 February 2002, 10:26 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Insurance-wise...

I ran my UK registered RHD MY00 in Switzerland for a year using a Norwich Union policy that allowed full European Cover.

This was 'borderline legal' as the foreign trips were supposed to be no longer than 3 months each.

My broker told me that they had no real way of proving this so it was a safe bet . I didn't feel 100% comfortable about it though to be honest.

Italy has a bad reputation for car thefts so whatever you do, make sure you have got some good security. A 'barrier dead-lock' might be a good idea (they lock the car in gear).

I decided to take my car out of the country after one year as I did not want to run the risk of having the car impounded by an over zealous Swiss plod.

I didn't want to go through the process of formally importing here either as I would have been stuck with a RHD Scoob in a LHD country as I would have had to export it back to Blighty again to get a reasonable price for it when the time cames to sell.

Why not sell it and buy a Deltona out there

PS. If you haven't owned the car that long you may also be liable for import duty if you bring it into Europe.

[Edited by Stephen Read - 2/27/2002 10:30:27 AM]
Old 27 February 2002, 12:34 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Wink

Brian,

Send it over to Shekou or Hainan and I`ll look after if for you !

Italy - Valentino Rossi has / had a turbo; someone must look after them over there ?

Cheers
Old 27 February 2002, 11:14 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

It depends on how long u're going to stay in Italy.
AFAIK, u can keep and run a car in the UK (providing u're not a UK resident) with foreign registration for 1 year, then it must be shipped out. I remember the provison is that the registration plates must be recognisable by the police (no problems with HK plates as they consists of alphabets & numerical digits). All this is done tax free.
If Italy has the same laws, & u're not staying there for over 1 year, then technically u can just ship ur car there & drive.
Old 28 February 2002, 01:14 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Wow, woke up this morning and found some good info. thanks.

James, I'm sorry i don't believe you'll find even 96 Octane fuel on Hainan. Well, maybe you will but not 98.

Stephen, thanks. I have had the car 4 months now and it will be another 4 months before it leaves. In terms of selling it, the market here is very bad at the moment. I'd probably loose more money on a quick sale than have it shipped back and registered in EuroLand somewhere.

I have to commit to 4 years in Milan and the company will transport all my belongings. It is interesting to see that i may be able to use my HK registration plates etc. but i'm not sure if that rule would be for only European cars rather than Chinese. If i have problems i suppose i can ship it to the UK, do all the mods to meet UK laws and either sell it or store it. I think i have to do that with me other car unless i can sell it here first.

Either way i understand that i would need to get Italian Insurance and Road Tax. All these problems make my head hurt.

Thanks again.

[Edited by Brian Swan - 2/28/2002 1:19:35 AM]
Old 28 February 2002, 10:28 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The temporary importation rule applies to cars from all countries, as long as the number plates are legible by the police. Unfortunately, you can't keep the car here for more than 1 year.
HK plates are perfectly legible as they are identical to British plates found on vintage cars (e.g. AB 1234). So far, I've seen cars with Dubai plates (plates are not legible by UK police as they're in Arabic), Saudi plates and US plates in London. On the same subject, I've seen a Peugeot 405 with French plates (LHD as well) parked in the alley next to the Excelsior Hotel in Causeway Bay. That was back in 1989.
I doubt anyone can get RON98 in Hainan either. Fuel in China is generally of very poor quality, Diesel fuel sold in Shenzhen (border city to Hong Kong) are found to contain much much more sulphur as compared to those on sale in HK.
Old 28 February 2002, 10:38 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I used to work with 10 Italians, insuring cars based in Italy, but insuring them in the Lloyd's market in London. Italians tend to buy separate third party and own damage policies. Because of the way they drive and the theft problem insurance is expensive in Italy, and many Italians only buy the third party cover because of this.

I would suggest you get some quotes *in* Italy before you go ahead with this. Naples is probably the worst possible place in Italy to insure a car, but Milan is possibly not too far behind. If you want i'll speak to an Italian friend of mine in London who is still insuring Italian based cars, and try and get a VERY basic ballpark figure for you. Let me know.
Old 02 March 2002, 02:49 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Clarence, might i assume if i take the car to Italy then i have one year to register it locally? Do i have to say at the time of import whether it is temporary or permanent?

Dave, the insurance idea is not one i've heard of before. I can ask somebody in Milan to get a "normal" quote but it would be interesting to know how this would compare with the method you have brought up. Currently i pay about 1000 pounds fully comprehensive.

In terms of cars mods, i assume i have to realign the lights or fit new bulbs but is there anything else? I've heard a story i might need to change the windscreen.

Thanks again,
brian
Old 11 March 2002, 06:56 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

More news from the Italians.

I am being quoted Euro 100-150 per Euro 1000 of insurance cover meaning that i can expect between 1,500 and 2,260 pounds for full cover after a 40% discount. I hope this sounds about right to you because i currently pay about 1000.

My only real worry, then, is how to pay tolls and whether servicing is available. Anybody know? Thanks.
Old 11 March 2002, 05:01 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

I'd get a LHD car, any sort of overtaking will be loads safer (I spent a month and 4k miles driving around europe a couple of years ago.)
Old 11 March 2002, 05:16 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

RHD is a bitch for tolls and overtaking, get a LHD. Scoobies and Evos are available in Italy, there's a veru good rally team who can do the service for you in Milano, Nocentini. There's a link on www.myevo.com

Insurance £2000 sounds expensive, it should be 1000.
Old 12 March 2002, 12:59 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Yes, but u cannot get a GC8 STi in LHD.
Anyway, I've seen a RHD Toyota Landcruiser on French plates recently.
Old 12 March 2002, 03:14 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Hi Clarence,

That was exactly the point i was considering - no classic STi's in LHD. I'm sure if there are autotolls like we have here then i should be okay - else take my fishing net.

I'm just back from a week in Japan and i was amazed at how many LHD cars there are there - i even saw some toyota in LHD! Mostly they were Vettes and Mercs but it makes them easy to spot.

I suppose if i have too many problems you'll see it up for sale on here within the year.
Old 13 March 2002, 02:17 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

All imported European cars in Japan can be ordered in LHD as well as RHD.
U can get a LHD Evo 6, but u'll be getting the RS2 which doesn't have AYC and ABS.
Old 17 March 2002, 10:44 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
brian,
i dont know if this is any help, but i saw a silver 5 door LHD in Cervinia last week. Pink front badge and STI WRX sticker on the tail gate (pre my01 shape), so somebody must service them...?
cheers alan
Old 18 March 2002, 08:55 AM
Brian Swan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Allan,

There was a separate thread from an Italian guy wanting to know the difference between STI6's and the rest. I hyjacked that a little and found a couple of Rally Teams with bases around Milan so that looks like a fine place to start asking questions.

I've basically made my mind up that the car will follow me to Milan and if i have problems i send it back to Blighty.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03 December 2002, 07:34 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Jeremy Clarkson once did a series called 'Motorworld' that visited japan and he explained that the local 'mafia' liked nothing better than tooling around in big black LHD Mercs. They think the LHD is some kind of a status symbol! So be careful to let them out at junctions if you see one again!

[Edited by Stephen Read - 3/12/2002 7:35:31 AM]