Sponsored by:

Classic UK Turbo or Bugeye UK300

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2009, 10:00 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Classic UK Turbo or Bugeye UK300

So my quest for an Impreza continues - I'm getting close to giving up and buying a tuck and new breasts - and maybe something for the wife too

So I'm bouncing around the various editions and I do quite like the UK300s. I don't mind the bugeye fronts to be honest and the lights do help it look a bit less mournful.

However, as its a bigger, heavier car than a UK turbo, I'm concerned it might feel a little lacking in pace and agility.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a sweetspot budget that is completely wrong for buying Imprezas - 5K. Its not enough for a decent newage STI, not enough for a decent P1 or Type R or STIRA and too much for a decent UK turbo and then not enough extra to get it to the pace of the others
Old 03 March 2009, 10:25 AM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say get a classic but im biased................
Old 03 March 2009, 10:35 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Yes ! I would agree, but as an "old person", I found the ride and stability of the New-Age chassis a revelation. The addition of the usually parts will get you up to 330 bhp. So performance isn't the issue. I would recommend trying one, but they are quite different to the raw-ness of a classic.

imho

dunx
Old 03 March 2009, 10:35 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Edd mate you know my feelings on this! lol

BTW to anyone who dosn't know were in the same boat with 5K

I'm on the hunt for a well looked after classic UK and spend any extra cash making it my own and making it 300 brake and i'll be happy..would like an RB5 though TBH for the colour
Old 03 March 2009, 10:43 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I'm not 100% on the RB5 colour. I think its got to be Sonic Blue for me. RB5 would be my 2nd choice. Its one plus point for the UK300 as they are Sonic Blue.

I would like to try as many as possible - the problem for me is living in the **** end of wales so I have to travel a few hours just to go test a car.
Old 03 March 2009, 02:19 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Deffo get a classic!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 March 2009, 02:32 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

CLASSIC
Old 03 March 2009, 02:40 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Terzo and get it re-mapped. Would be a nice car
Old 03 March 2009, 02:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am increasingly of the opinion that if you want a scoob to play with at the weekends 300bhp or there abouts, go for the classic. Spend a little bit of money on some choice engine and chassis mods and enjoy.

New Ages are equally good cars, but they don't oooze scooby like a classic, and for me my newage is just a sodding quick family car with rubbish mpg.

If you want an icon buy an icon
Old 03 March 2009, 02:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Terzo and get it re-mapped. Would be a nice car
Right colour but I would prefer MY99 onwards.

Moley_WRX What we talked about might still be on, I'll know by Monday - fingers & toes crossed.
Old 03 March 2009, 03:44 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Yeah Gary i'll be calling you by the end of the week to sort my insurance again...
Old 03 March 2009, 04:49 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
the problem for me is living in the **** end of wales so I have to travel a few hours just to go test a car.
Edd, from what I've seen during my time spent holidaying in Wales at least 50% of the world's Imprezas reside there, so you should have plenty of choice without worrying about crossing the Severn bridge. I bought my previous JDM Bug WRX from Llanelli prior to driving it back to Northants.
Old 03 March 2009, 06:03 PM
scoobmj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Right colour but I would prefer MY99 onwards.
i agree best classic shape is the my99 onwards

looks refined yet aggressive

im my humble yet very biest opinion.
Old 03 March 2009, 06:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Try both would be my advice.

Classics rawer and quicker at a given bhp level. Also much better looking IMHO

New ages much more refined and better all rounder.
Old 03 March 2009, 08:24 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

I've had both now. MY99 classic with a VF28 running 320/320 and a UK300-a-like bugeye with a VF30 running 330/320 (which I'm currently selling in that price range) and powerwise, theres nothing in it.
The classic did feel more like a go-kart/2nd car. The bugeye is a good all rounder if its your everyday car.
Mine returns 50 miles with a tenner of Tesco99, but well less than half that if the sun is shinning.

I will have a classic again one day, but it will be a weekend toy, hopefully an RA with 370bhp, stripped out and caged.
Old 03 March 2009, 08:54 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Ive got a MY99 UK Turbo and my dad had a UK300 he was annoyed at how mine felt faster lol.

He ended up selling his and getting a MY03 Sti PPP.
Old 03 March 2009, 10:12 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
Edd, from what I've seen during my time spent holidaying in Wales at least 50% of the world's Imprezas reside there, so you should have plenty of choice without worrying about crossing the Severn bridge. I bought my previous JDM Bug WRX from Llanelli prior to driving it back to Northants.
LOL, theres enough round these parts but I don't know any of them well enough to say "Giz a go Mr"
Old 03 March 2009, 10:59 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Well Edd,
Me and the other half (Hysteria1983) have been stuck like you for weeks. Drove Bugeyes, STi's, WRX's and a classic yesterday. I must admit after driving the classic's I felt gutted. Had one ten years ago, and thought maybe they are too old and past there sell by date. Today I drove another classic! It drove like I remember 10 years ago, and put a huge grin on my face! At the end of the test drive that was it, deposit handed over and from Saturday will be the proud owner of a beautiful '99 UK Turbo with mega low miles. Can't wait! Go classic, just make sure you find the right one!

Proby
Old 03 March 2009, 11:34 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

edd i cant comment on the virtues of the new age as ive never driven one,but from your recent post you seem to have become more indecisive about what you want,is this because you need another scoob in your life asap.you originally wanted a sonic classic,i think you should stick to this,it took me nearly 6 months to find mine and a drive to bournemouth to pick it up,its crap waiting and you may make a decision you may regret later .just be patient the right car will turn up eventually.if you do test a new age (are you thinking about the uk300 in the local paper?btw) and you want a comparison to it your welcome to try mine.you should know if its a classic or newage you want then.
Old 03 March 2009, 11:56 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I prefer the classic, but im biased too. Oh, and i wouldn't get a uk 2000, too soft, has to be jap for me.
Old 04 March 2009, 08:53 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gtijames
edd i cant comment on the virtues of the new age as ive never driven one,but from your recent post you seem to have become more indecisive about what you want,is this because you need another scoob in your life asap.you originally wanted a sonic classic,i think you should stick to this,it took me nearly 6 months to find mine and a drive to bournemouth to pick it up,its crap waiting and you may make a decision you may regret later .just be patient the right car will turn up eventually.if you do test a new age (are you thinking about the uk300 in the local paper?btw) and you want a comparison to it your welcome to try mine.you should know if its a classic or newage you want then.
Cheers mate. I'm going to stick with Sonic Blue classic. I've got everything crossed right now because I might have one next week but I won't know until the weekend (complicated) As I've said in another thread if this doesn't go through I'm going to take a break from looking.