ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Classic UK Turbo or Bugeye UK300 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/750309-classic-uk-turbo-or-bugeye-uk300.html)

EddScott 03 March 2009 10:00 AM

Classic UK Turbo or Bugeye UK300

So my quest for an Impreza continues - I'm getting close to giving up and buying a tuck and new breasts - and maybe something for the wife too :D

So I'm bouncing around the various editions and I do quite like the UK300s. I don't mind the bugeye fronts to be honest and the lights do help it look a bit less mournful.

However, as its a bigger, heavier car than a UK turbo, I'm concerned it might feel a little lacking in pace and agility.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a sweetspot budget that is completely wrong for buying Imprezas - 5K. Its not enough for a decent newage STI, not enough for a decent P1 or Type R or STIRA and too much for a decent UK turbo and then not enough extra to get it to the pace of the others :(

Johnny E 03 March 2009 10:25 AM

I would say get a classic but im biased................

dunx 03 March 2009 10:35 AM

Yes ! I would agree, but as an "old person", I found the ride and stability of the New-Age chassis a revelation. The addition of the usually parts will get you up to 330 bhp. So performance isn't the issue. I would recommend trying one, but they are quite different to the raw-ness of a classic.

imho

dunx

AlanPPP 03 March 2009 10:35 AM

Edd mate you know my feelings on this! lol

BTW to anyone who dosn't know were in the same boat with 5K :)

I'm on the hunt for a well looked after classic UK and spend any extra cash making it my own and making it 300 brake and i'll be happy..would like an RB5 though TBH for the colour ;)

EddScott 03 March 2009 10:43 AM

I'm not 100% on the RB5 colour. I think its got to be Sonic Blue for me. RB5 would be my 2nd choice. Its one plus point for the UK300 as they are Sonic Blue.

I would like to try as many as possible - the problem for me is living in the ar5e end of wales so I have to travel a few hours just to go test a car.

Scoob99 03 March 2009 02:19 PM

Deffo get a classic!!!!!!!!!!

scoobmj 03 March 2009 02:32 PM

CLASSIC :thumb:

Moley 03 March 2009 02:40 PM

Terzo and get it re-mapped. Would be a nice car

53 03 March 2009 02:54 PM

I am increasingly of the opinion that if you want a scoob to play with at the weekends 300bhp or there abouts, go for the classic. Spend a little bit of money on some choice engine and chassis mods and enjoy.

New Ages are equally good cars, but they don't oooze scooby like a classic, and for me my newage is just a sodding quick family car with rubbish mpg.:lol1:

If you want an icon buy an icon:thumb:

EddScott 03 March 2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 8550806)
Terzo and get it re-mapped. Would be a nice car

Right colour but I would prefer MY99 onwards.

Moley_WRX What we talked about might still be on, I'll know by Monday - fingers & toes crossed.

AlanPPP 03 March 2009 03:44 PM

Yeah Gary i'll be calling you by the end of the week to sort my insurance again...

Turbo2 03 March 2009 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 8550199)
the problem for me is living in the ar5e end of wales so I have to travel a few hours just to go test a car.

Edd, from what I've seen during my time spent holidaying in Wales at least 50% of the world's Imprezas reside there, so you should have plenty of choice without worrying about crossing the Severn bridge. I bought my previous JDM Bug WRX from Llanelli prior to driving it back to Northants.

scoobmj 03 March 2009 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 8550849)
Right colour but I would prefer MY99 onwards.

i agree best classic shape is the my99 onwards :luvlove:

looks refined yet aggressive :thumb:

im my humble yet very biest opinion.

New_scooby_04 03 March 2009 06:18 PM

Try both would be my advice.

Classics rawer and quicker at a given bhp level. Also much better looking IMHO

New ages much more refined and better all rounder.

weeebell 03 March 2009 08:24 PM

I've had both now. MY99 classic with a VF28 running 320/320 and a UK300-a-like bugeye with a VF30 running 330/320 (which I'm currently selling in that price range) and powerwise, theres nothing in it.
The classic did feel more like a go-kart/2nd car. The bugeye is a good all rounder if its your everyday car.
Mine returns 50 miles with a tenner of Tesco99, but well less than half that if the sun is shinning.:norty:

I will have a classic again one day, but it will be a weekend toy, hopefully an RA with 370bhp, stripped out and caged.

moff1888 03 March 2009 08:54 PM

Ive got a MY99 UK Turbo and my dad had a UK300 he was annoyed at how mine felt faster lol.

He ended up selling his and getting a MY03 Sti PPP.

EddScott 03 March 2009 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2 (Post 8551153)
Edd, from what I've seen during my time spent holidaying in Wales at least 50% of the world's Imprezas reside there, so you should have plenty of choice without worrying about crossing the Severn bridge. I bought my previous JDM Bug WRX from Llanelli prior to driving it back to Northants.

LOL, theres enough round these parts but I don't know any of them well enough to say "Giz a go Mr"

Proby521 03 March 2009 10:59 PM

Well Edd,
Me and the other half (Hysteria1983) have been stuck like you for weeks. Drove Bugeyes, STi's, WRX's and a classic yesterday. I must admit after driving the classic's I felt gutted. Had one ten years ago, and thought maybe they are too old and past there sell by date. Today I drove another classic! It drove like I remember 10 years ago, and put a huge grin on my face! At the end of the test drive that was it, deposit handed over and from Saturday will be the proud owner of a beautiful '99 UK Turbo with mega low miles. Can't wait! Go classic, just make sure you find the right one!

Proby

gtijames 03 March 2009 11:34 PM

edd i cant comment on the virtues of the new age as ive never driven one,but from your recent post you seem to have become more indecisive about what you want,is this because you need another scoob in your life asap.you originally wanted a sonic classic,i think you should stick to this,it took me nearly 6 months to find mine and a drive to bournemouth to pick it up,its crap waiting and you may make a decision you may regret later .just be patient the right car will turn up eventually.if you do test a new age (are you thinking about the uk300 in the local paper?btw) and you want a comparison to it your welcome to try mine.you should know if its a classic or newage you want then.

mit 03 March 2009 11:56 PM

I prefer the classic, but im biased too. Oh, and i wouldn't get a uk 2000, too soft, has to be jap for me.

EddScott 04 March 2009 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by gtijames (Post 8552580)
edd i cant comment on the virtues of the new age as ive never driven one,but from your recent post you seem to have become more indecisive about what you want,is this because you need another scoob in your life asap.you originally wanted a sonic classic,i think you should stick to this,it took me nearly 6 months to find mine and a drive to bournemouth to pick it up,its crap waiting and you may make a decision you may regret later .just be patient the right car will turn up eventually.if you do test a new age (are you thinking about the uk300 in the local paper?btw) and you want a comparison to it your welcome to try mine.you should know if its a classic or newage you want then.

Cheers mate. I'm going to stick with Sonic Blue classic. I've got everything crossed right now because I might have one next week but I won't know until the weekend (complicated) As I've said in another thread if this doesn't go through I'm going to take a break from looking.