Advice on tuning a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 09:45 AM
hawkeye06
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on tuning a WRX

Hi guys.

I've had my hawkeye WRX for roughly half a year now, and have resisted modding it but think it's time to up the power a bit

Currently, its bog standard except for an Afterburner backbox and centre pipe from Scoobyworld.

I'd be happy with 265-275ish (Bascially, being able to keep up with my mates blobeye standard sti woulb be nice )

I will be booking the car in for a remap, and maybe fitting an induction kit of some sort, but are there any other (reasonably cheapish) mods that I'd need to bring it up to that bhp?

Also, when it goes in for a remap, can I get the mapper to make the car pop and bang
Old 23 February 2009, 09:51 AM
hawkeye06
Scooby Newbie

One more question. If I was to just remap as it were now (with afterburner), how much increase in bhp/torque would I see?
Old 23 February 2009, 09:55 AM
ruislip
Scooby Regular

you should see 278/280 bhp with a remap. One thing your need to get is a green panel filter. Forget the induction kit....! The green panel filter is cheaper and better for the scoob.
Old 23 February 2009, 09:56 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Put decat/sportcat downpipe in first and decat uppipe if you can before remapping. You will then easily exceed the figures you want. No point in mapping before that. Yes mapping can make it pop and bang.
Old 23 February 2009, 10:07 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Agreed on the downpipe and the panel filter. You may also want to consider an uprated fuel pump and spark plugs. All bar the downpipe are very cheap parts.

Sports cat downpipe will set you back about £250-£300. Decat about £150. The latter is obviously better but it will not get through an MOT.

Take a look at the following link. It shows you your spec car and the performance levels at various levels of tune: AndyForrestPerformance
Old 23 February 2009, 10:12 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

my my01 wrx got 268.7bhp

by having a panel filter (k&n) sportscat downpipe, decat uppipe and after market backbox, and an ecutek map

so i think your would easily get 270 if you do something similar
Old 23 February 2009, 10:24 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the hawkeyes have already a decat up-pipe as standard. So just panel filter and downpipe with a map(jollygreenmonster)will see it up to 280 bhp

wiley
Old 23 February 2009, 10:35 AM
hawkeye06
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for reply guys. Just checked out the AndyForrest website (Cheers Mikkel).
Am a relative newbie to tuning so don't flame me for this. But what's the difference between a sports cat and decat?

Which is the best downpipe to go for (preferably one that will pass MOT)?

On another note, would it be a better idea to just go for PPP?

Last edited by hawkeye06; 23 February 2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 23 February 2009, 10:41 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

The sportcat 100 cell downpipes will still allow you to pass emissions testing. Full decat system will fail emissions.
Old 23 February 2009, 10:43 AM
hawkeye06
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mgcvk
The sportcat 100 cell downpipes will still allow you to pass emissions testing. Full decat system will fail emissions.
Great
So basically one of these babies then
Impreza Turbo 2006-2007 : Subaru Impreza Decat Downpipe
Old 23 February 2009, 10:55 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

There are various manufacturers. The sportcat downpipe is much more free flowing than the standard item. The good ones aren't much more restrictive than a full decat version but obviously you pay more for the privilege as catalytic converters use expensive ingredients to make them work. If the Hawkeye wrx's already have a cat free uppipe thats a bonus. The blobeye wrx's had a catted uppipe which was basically only there for cold startup reasons as far as I can gather.
Old 23 February 2009, 11:01 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Never quite sure how many people dishing out advice have actually had this done.

I have....

De-cat centre pipe which it sounds like you have. upgraded intercooler hose, map. That was all i had. Not even a filter (and Andy F himself will tell you it isn't really that important.)

Result = road legal (well MOT emissions passing) WRX with 273bhp. I've added a filter since but fuel pumps etc hardly seem worth the effort.

Full decat system and the other mods should have it up at 290bhp but it won't pass an MOT.

Hope that helps.

5t.
Old 23 February 2009, 11:35 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I have a decat because I have a friendly MOT tester, but if you don't then sports cat is the way to go. As mentioned it is simply to get you through the emissions test on an MOT, but no matter how free flowing cats are slightly more restrictive and expensive. Not that you would notice any difference mind you, we are talking very minimal here.

A fuel pump is a wise supporting mod. It is not essential on an 06 STI, not sure about a WRX, until you go over 400bhp but I personally would not tune a car up without having over compensated on supporting mods. Piece of mind and all that.

PPP is just an over priced generic remap that maintains a warranty. Get a customised map.

Last edited by Mikkel; 23 February 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 23 February 2009, 06:42 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

View my Scooby, you don't have an up-pipe cat on the 2.5 WRX's. Whole lot cost about a Grand including the remap.

Car a totally different animal now, beware though, once you have given it more power you become much more aware of the WRX's shortcomings - particularly the poor standard brake and suspension setup.
Old 23 February 2009, 08:29 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

My 05 Blob with PPP goes for a decat / remap/ fuel pump next month. My last WRX PPP made a full 262 bhp as standard. My current one is far slower, lacking in response. Its within the PPP parameters when Subaru checked it. Now the warranty has expired I'm going down the other route. I've experienced a good and a poor PPP.If warranty is not an issue, I'd go elsewhere
Old 23 February 2009, 11:39 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawkeye06
One more question. If I was to just remap as it were now (with afterburner), how much increase in bhp/torque would I see?
280 bhp and 331 lbs ft of torque in my hawkeye wrx check my scooby for mods.
Old 24 February 2009, 01:01 AM
stara
Scooby Regular

my '07 wrx has decat and TSL grp n exhaust, green filter, the intake resonater replced with an 'elbow', and remap. i got 286bhp and 321 ft/lbs, apparantly the pump is ok as is. mine has been like this for 18months with no ill effects. it completely transforms the car, the pull in 4th and 5th is unbelievable, mine runs 1.4bar max but this is in 5th at relatively low rpms so no dramas. i had a psi3 to keep an eye on things, but after a while when you get used to it theres nothing much to keep an eye on, i just keep an eye on engine temp before i give it some now.