Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much difference over V5 STI and mapped UK turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2009, 03:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How much difference over V5 STI and mapped UK turbo?

So I'm thinking that a STI RA will be a bit too raw for what I'm after and I've seen an STI V5 that has been in the country since new, excellent history and low owners. Only thing that puts me off is the colour - not keen on the grey and for low miles/owners theres not much red flake left on the manifold.

My last Impreza was a UK turbo with ECUTEK mapping with not much mods so 250hp on a good day. This STI is all but standard.

Will there be that much of a different feel to the STI over my old car?

If I can wangle it I might have a look Sunday.
Old 20 February 2009, 03:50 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imo there is a massive differenc eif you can afford the insurance then go for a sti by far a better car and a lot better starting point if you choose to mod.
i have had two uk cars and a wrx, a sti and now a p1 and by far the better car other than my p1 was an sti

best of luck and dont worry about the red paint means nothing imo
Old 20 February 2009, 04:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with cool grey?
You will notice a great difference, the manifold can be re sprayed, costs about 10 quid for the paint and you just need it peiming, there was a thread on respraying these a couple of weeks back (and mine is similar with a fair ammount of paint off/peeling)
Just get the usual checks done and you won't go far wrong

Tony
Old 20 February 2009, 04:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
What's wrong with cool grey?
Nothing other than its not Sonic Blue
Old 20 February 2009, 09:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Another worry is that the car I'm looking at also has an induction kit which isn't good for a V5 STI especially an unmapped one in the UK. The sellers does say its ben on the car for 2 years although its only done 1K in the last 6 months.

Having said the above I've been quietly talking myself into this car all day
Old 21 February 2009, 02:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

2000 SUBARU IMPREZA IMPORT 2.0 WRX STI 4dr X REG on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Feb-09 19:30:00 GMT)

This is the car in question. If I go take a look how can I tell if its knocking? I've never heard a knocking engine before. I ask this because if the induction kit. Also would fitting an oil pressure gauge help if the oil pump was on its way out?

When I bought my last Impreza all I did was drive it a few miles and just handed over the cash so I wasn't very thorough. With this being an import I want to be far more careful.
Old 21 February 2009, 05:05 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lookes loke a good car, I think it should have the Pink "I" badge on the front but thats not a problem, you will notice a huge difference with the STI over a uk.
Old 21 February 2009, 07:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The idle speed would worry me a little, normally a sign of a maf issue, no other real way of telling if the car has engine problems, but it could also be an idle control valve or the likes, but i would still put my money on the maf.
Just get the car checked out by a speciallist, that could give you a bit of leverage in buying the car oh and mine had a dodgy maf sensor, she is ok though as i caught it early enough

Tony
Old 21 February 2009, 10:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

That is a worry. Going to ask if the maf has ever been changed.

Dodgy maf and induction kit is a worry should it pop. I'm thinking though that as it only has a rear box change it still has both cats - In my thinking perhaps that means its not running too lean. No cats and induction kit = lean running does it not?

Would a knocklink help?

Might ask if the guy minds if I get an RAC inspection. As I said its not my first choice but low mileage, low owners and plenty of history is a good thing for an import.
Old 21 February 2009, 10:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Just one cat on these and a knocklink and lambda sensor would help though my maf was irratic (possably due to the crack in the up pipe also) it was (and still is) running pretty rich (though mine also has a link ecu fitted so the HKS induction kit is already mapped i think!)
It can still be a very good buy though Ed just a decent inspection will do, and is its also mapped for uk fuel?

Tony
Old 21 February 2009, 10:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I'll find out about inspections etc. Would be worth the outlay I guess. It doesn't seem to have been abused but its still a roll of the dice.

I'm pretty sure its not mapped although its something I would get done -I'd like a simtek for the cosmetic anti lag.

I never really hammerd my old one and no hero behind the wheel so just want the enjoyment of having something a bit special to drive. Hence why I've decided against something a bit more hardcore like an STI RA.

Cheers for the advice