Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

End of an icon, going out with a wimper
Old 03 February 2009, 10:26 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I dont live in the UK anymore and must have missed this, cant find anything on google either, whats that all about?? I always thought the UK was a good market ?
Old 03 February 2009, 10:30 AM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

Yes a sad day but does anyone think the latest Scooby looks/drives like the original monster? I've had late and early models and love the sheer basic rawness of the classic, no sat nav, no air con, no abs, just you, the road and a whole lot of fun!
Old 03 February 2009, 10:44 AM
Mattyboy-Wrx
Scooby Regular

Are they just discontinuing the WRX model but keep selling the Sti, or the Impreza as a car?
Old 03 February 2009, 10:48 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

from what i have read it is just the WRX
Old 03 February 2009, 10:53 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Of course it doesn't look anything like the classic but imo my "new shape" Aus spec WRX drives very much like my classic did, it's a way better driive than the bug/blob and hawkeye, maybe it's just the Aus spec which pumps out 261 bhp, but I absolutely love it, such fun to drive and reminds me of my classic, handling is superb and a very well balanced car.

The front end looks agressive enough but the rear end leaves a lot to be desired and the cabin is light years ahead of the classic.
Old 03 February 2009, 11:55 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's a bad thing, as long as they keep the STi. It was becoming a half-way model the WRX anyway.
Old 03 February 2009, 01:48 PM
ross_wrx
Scooby Regular

Makes me sad! Oh well will have to tell the wife I need an STi instead then!........... Not so bad after all!!
Old 03 February 2009, 02:27 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Don't worry maybe they will keep the WRXS which is getting good reviews.

Maybe my WRX will become a collectors car though if I can get a WRXS at a decent price I might upgrade

Originally Posted by Midnight Runner
End of an icon, going out with a wimper

Last edited by HOWY; 03 February 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03 February 2009, 03:02 PM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Based on that car, I'm not suprised they called time on the WRX. It was hideous from day 1 imo
Old 03 February 2009, 03:25 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydee
Based on that car, I'm not suprised they called time on the WRX. It was hideous from day 1 imo
was this opinion based on appearance or actual experience of owning/driving one?
Old 03 February 2009, 06:35 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Sorry I dont live in the UK anymore and must have missed this, cant find anything on google either, whats that all about?? I always thought the UK was a good market ?
I have not seen many new shape WRX's on the road here in the uk at all, and I do 20k + a year.

Does anyone have the actual sales figures for new shape UK WRX sales?

Last edited by Ryo; 03 February 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03 February 2009, 08:12 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
was this opinion based on appearance or actual experience of owning/driving one?
it is hideous and it is flabby to drive

good move from IM and back to what Impreza is all about.

new STI is reasonably discreet , much like original Turbo was , a car, which quite clearly, was the best car ever

Ed
Old 03 February 2009, 08:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Driver's Republic - Fierce Creatures 038
Old 04 February 2009, 03:55 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Thanks, enjoyed that article.

I have to disagree with the "flabby" comments above by EdwardH, I find it as tight as a gnats **** !, but as previously mentioned my WRX is Aus spec and not UK like my previous examples.

The article reads very much how I feel about thenew WRX.

Each to their own as they say
Old 04 February 2009, 07:22 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Its an awful looking car, even if they knocked £10k off the asking price i wouldn`t have one of them sat on the drive.
Old 04 February 2009, 01:52 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Thanks, enjoyed that article.

I have to disagree with the "flabby" comments above by EdwardH, I find it as tight as a gnats **** !, but as previously mentioned my WRX is Aus spec and not UK like my previous examples.

The article reads very much how I feel about thenew WRX.

Each to their own as they say
to be fair the DR article does cover the WRX 'S' spec e.g. PPP variant, so its not the car covered in most of this thread, although I think it is similarly sprung
Old 04 February 2009, 02:03 PM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Admitedly I base my opinion on looks, and haven't driven one.
However, no matter how good it drove, I would never buy a car that I didn't like the look of. Furthermore, it's not like my hawkeye doesn't drive or handle well
Old 04 February 2009, 02:18 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found it grippy but too much body roll in comparison to my bug.
And I'm afraid I'm in the "I think it is hideous looking" camp - and that's coming from a bugeye owner

The thing is that the classic, blob and hawkeye all had fairly distinctive looks - very aggressive looking cars, spoilers etc - no pretence as to what they were about.
The new model looks like a cross between a focus and a Proton - IMHO they couldn't have come up with a worse looking car if they'd tried - and it could have had so much potential if they hadn't tried to dull it down for the general market

Last edited by MrNoisy; 04 February 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05 February 2009, 02:04 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by EdwardH
to be fair the DR article does cover the WRX 'S' spec e.g. PPP variant, so its not the car covered in most of this thread, although I think it is similarly sprung

The PPP doesn't touch the springs AFAIK.

Maybe the roads are just better in Aus than they are in the UK, wouldn't be hard would it But again the Aus version could have other hidden but subtle differences to the UK version that i'm stillto find.
Old 05 February 2009, 02:12 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
I found it grippy but too much body roll in comparison to my bug.
And I'm afraid I'm in the "I think it is hideous looking" camp - and that's coming from a bugeye owner

The thing is that the classic, blob and hawkeye all had fairly distinctive looks - very aggressive looking cars, spoilers etc - no pretence as to what they were about.
The new model looks like a cross between a focus and a Proton - IMHO they couldn't have come up with a worse looking car if they'd tried - and it could have had so much potential if they hadn't tried to dull it down for the general market
I agree they should have done something with the spoiler as well as the wheel arches, to differenciate it from the bog standard models, some flaring would have been better, not to the extent of the Sti, but something ...

But I disagree that it doesn't look agressive, looks fine to me, we have a different mesh type front grill here, it's a much prettier front end that my old bug, no matter angle I clocked it from the bug was one ugly front end

I also think the UK alloys dont help it, do u guys have these alloys as standard in the UK ??

I really dont like the rear end on the car but it's not so bad in the angle above
Old 05 February 2009, 03:19 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

My UK version above I actually think the front looks better than my old MY05 at least the scoop looks like its been designed rather than stuck on as the old model was. The looks have definately grown on me and I actually think the old models are starting to look dated. As for driving it, although it does have different characteristics from the MY05 I am enjoying it as much if not more and I still can't find a car of a similar price (17K) which offers this performance and 4 wheel drive. Its a pity more people weren't prepared to have one as that might prolong subaru's performance model survival unless of course they are going to completley redesign the WRX, not everyone wants the power/cost of teh STi. In the meantime I would be interested to try the WRXS which sounds even better.

Last edited by HOWY; 05 February 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06 February 2009, 02:29 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Default prices cut even further to £12995 for UK WRX

Originally Posted by dpb

and they're not even shifting at this price!!!

Motor Provider New And Used Car Supermarket: Brand New Subaru Impreza 2.5 wrx, New Subaru Cars, New_Subaru_Impreza_WRX_Hatch
Old 06 February 2009, 02:45 AM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

Horrid looking things,looks like a run of the mill euro box
Old 06 February 2009, 12:07 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TomR555
Horrid looking things,looks like a run of the mill euro box
They may not be the best looking cars around but who can honestly say any imprezza is a great looking car. Most people buy them for their performance (or rallying image) If looks at most performance hot hatch's they aren't significantly different from their mainstream models. There is also something to be said for having a 'stealth' type car it avoids the wrong type of attention that is sometimes attributed to the older impreza model's.

Re the other comment on price I would suggest the main reason they aren't selling is the current economic climate the high price of petrol and very high road tax but I still think they offer value for money if you can get one at a knockdown price so much the better.
Old 06 February 2009, 04:13 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Maybe the roads are just better in Aus than they are in the UK, wouldn't be hard would it
The roads in UK are general poor and UK has softer suspension compared to JDM's.

Drive a STD MY01-07 UK Sti or WRX saloon, you can feel the potential of the Car. Drive the Hatch UK STi or WRX they felt Fast shopping Cars, great for journeys but did absolutely nothing for my adreniline fix. You get more feedback from a PS3 game

The UK/JDM WRX or JDM S-GT is not that good in the handling stakes considering a new Chassis. It's much like driving a old fashioned Pram with springs rather than a rally bred Car.

Having driven a number of both hatchback WRX's & STi's in different stages of Tuning, The Car has 2 major problems that really need to be addressed before anyting else IMHO

1)The Car has very little steering feedback----- The Power Steering is far to over assisted at low and medium speed. Other improvements req-- Front Caster angle wrong giving it to light a feel aswell.

2) There is very little Chassis feedback-----Suspension bushes are much too soft - other improvements. The suspension is to soft -----ARB's too soft----STD 17" wheels/tryes are pants but OK on previous newage versions

OK The normal upgrades of PPP, PHP(spring kit), ARB's, 18" wheels etc will undoubtably transform the quite soft UK Hatch into a better car. But these will not fix the biggest underlying problems, Power steering and soft bushing issues.

IIRC IMHO

Tony
Old 07 February 2009, 04:56 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

They may not be the best looking cars around but who can honestly say any imprezza is a great looking car. Most people buy them for their performance (or rallying image) If looks at most performance hot hatch's they aren't significantly different from their mainstream models. There is also something to be said for having a 'stealth' type car it avoids the wrong type of attention that is sometimes attributed to the older impreza model's.

Re the other comment on price I would suggest the main reason they aren't selling is the current economic climate the high price of petrol and very high road tax but I still think they offer value for money if you can get one at a knockdown price so much the better.
I don't necessarily agree with the comments on the looks.
I think that the later classic models were great looking cars.
I also think that the bugeye STI prodrive style edition was one of the best looking Imprezas ever produced - it had the aggressive looking front bumper, twist side skirts, and nice lines on the arches, with the big spoiler.

The body lines, twist skirts and big spoiler then passed onto the next two models (although the Hawkeye was a little more refined) - in my honest opinion, they made the Impreza a great looking car - I wouldn't ever buy a fast car if I thought it was ugly.
If everyone thought that we'd all be driving Skoda VRS's (sorry to any Skoda owners, it was the first example that came to mind).

The problem is, the new Impreza looks exactly like a Skoda - non descript, boring and very very ordinary. I bought an Impreza to go quick and have something different, not to blend in. Otherwise I'd have bought a Focus ST, which again is a quick car, but I think still looks like a shopping cart with viper stripes.

Seriously, compare:

To me, the new one looks like the additional skirts etc were thrown on as an afterthought and a very poorly designed one at that.
I honestly think the introduction of this model, combined with the current climate may be the downfall of the car we all know and love

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 February 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07 February 2009, 05:02 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

From memory the WRX was never supposed to be sold in the UK, only the STI.

However, lots of people (lots on here infact) kicked up a fuss demanding Subaru sold the WRX model in the UK.... so they gave in and sold it here.

However, those people who demanded the WRX be sold here never actually bought it, hence Subaru have withdrawn the it.
Old 07 February 2009, 05:04 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
From memory the WRX was never supposed to be sold in the UK, only the STI.

However, lots of people (lots on here infact) kicked up a fuss demanding Subaru sold the WRX model in the UK.... so they gave in and sold it here.

However, those people who demanded the WRX be sold here never actually bought it, hence Subaru have withdrawn the it.
I wonder if it was because they thought it would be more aggressive than it turned out to be?
Have you had many of the new shape insure with you Gary?