Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much faith should I put in my Cat 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2001, 05:04 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

Ive got a Cat 1 Toad installed on my MY00 and was wondering whether I should also go for a tracker.

So I guess the question really is - just how good are these Thatcham Cat 1's? Has anyone ever had their car nicked with one installed and armed? And can anyone recommend a good Tracker?

Cheers

Neil
Old 02 February 2001, 05:10 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Neil,

I had a 1997 BMW 328i Sport (sorry Scoob owners) and it had BMW alarm, Catagory 1, Tracker, immobiliser and steeting wheel lock (good one) and it was stolen.

And not seen since.

If they want they will take it no matter what - more worrying is the new 'fashion' of breaking into owner's houses at night and threatening families with violence to hand over keys - a numbof posts referring to this have been seen recently (very very worrying).

I think the answer is to make your car more difficult to steal than others.

Best of luck.

Richard.
Old 02 February 2001, 05:17 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

If your insurance co. said cat 1 then put your faith in Cat 1, just remember the golden rules.

Dont park in nasty places, etc etc.

If they want Cat1 + tracker then go for it.
remember Cat1 will stop them for a while, Cat1 + Tracker will get it back, DO YOU WANT IT BACK ??

I dont, if mine goes then it goes, I dont want to see it again.
Old 02 February 2001, 05:22 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

If you want to keep your car, then dont put all your faith into the Cat 1.
The Tracker I personally wouldnt bother with, by the time you get it back, you'll probably wish you hadnt.
I go for the visual deterent approach. I have the full Disk Lock steering lock, in bright yellow, that covers the whole steering wheel, and the gear lever lock, also in bright yellow, combined with my Cat 1 alarm/immob.
I know these wont stop a pro, but the best you can do is deter amature chancers from having a go, it will hopefully put them off before they start.
If a pro wants the car, he'll get it, but a pro is in it for the money, and he has to add up the amount of hassle and damage he'll do to the car nicking it, along with the risk, and then subtract it from his profits, so just make it as unatractive a steal as poss, and then hope for the best.
Old 02 February 2001, 05:35 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Anyone who doesn't want their car back after it is stolen should bear in mind that a car is classed as "missing" (not stolen) for 4 weeks by the Police. Most insurance companies do not even process the paperwork for a stolen car until it has been missing for 6 weeks. I've had one car stolen/recovered and another 2 damaged in an unsuccessful attempt to steal. Although the cars never felt the same afterwards (and I couldn't wait to get rid of them) it was better than the alternative.

IMO, put on as many thief deterrents (because that's all they are) as you can afford. Chances are the scum will decide your car is too much hassle and find another. Most of the Scoobs I've seen parked don't even have steering locks on. Maybe I'm obsessive, but I even put a wheel clamp on mine.

Jerome.
Old 02 February 2001, 06:09 PM
Olaf
Scooby Newbie

Angry

You can get a gadget from Subaru dealers which locks the car in reverse & stops it being towed. Must admit I don't set it that often though:O

It's true that a pro will have your car if he really wants it whatever the security. The best you can do is make it difficult & deter the amateurs/joyriders who do most of the car crime. Problem is, the more gadgets you put on, the more the thief needs the keys to steal it & the more likely he is to break into your house etc etc

I think trackers are more for the insurance co's benefit than yours & wouldn't fit one unless they insisted or at least gave you a big enough discount to cover the cost (some hope!)
Old 02 February 2001, 06:19 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the advice guys.

Anyone know how much this device is that locks the car in reverse?

Neil
Old 02 February 2001, 06:53 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Neil,

Speak to TSL Motorsport about the Barrier Deadlock lock in reverse thingy
Old 02 February 2001, 08:31 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

NeilT As a car security specialest i think that aslong as your cat 1 is fitted properly then this will stop most car theifs, However if someone wants your car so badly they'll put it on a low loader like the police towaway trucks.
If you want a tracker let me know I fit them!
Check out how good i am by asking scoobynet mates ie:Logiclee , Salsa-King etc....