Sponsored by:

Type R

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2001, 03:44 PM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Excuse my ignorance, but at least the name fits!

Type R performance I presume is circa 4.3secs 0-60mph. But as STI are the sporty versions, is a type R by definition a STI. If not are they (STI) quicker. And where does the V-Ltd fit into this?

airhead

Old 29 January 2001, 04:00 PM
David Cullen
Scooby Regular

Wink

Flame suit on (in case I get this wrong!).

Type R denotes the 2 door bodyshell. They are always an Sti and on the whole those in the UK have the shorter gearing and the adjustable centre diff. However I am pretty certain I remember seeing a Type R (imported second hand from Japan) without an adjustable diff. The shorter gearing means faster acceleration than other Sti's although as with all vehicles driver ability is more important.

The V-ltd is simply a limited edition run of each version in 555 (?) blue with (at least on my Version 4) a little 555 World Champions badge on the back

So now you know!

Flame suit off
Old 29 January 2001, 04:18 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pretty spot on David.

I have a 99 STi5 Type R Limited Edition.

Basically the STi5 has the short shift box allowing accelartion to 60 in 4.3 seconds.

Type R, as said, is the 2-Door Coupe Model.

V-Limited - Limited because there were only 500 (I think) units produced of the Type-R variant. (Anyone know otherwise... Go on, please tell me there were even less )

The version 5 Limited Edition, gave you:

The 99 World Rally color (Sonic Blue)
The Rally style hatch in the roof
Automatic and manual Intercooler sprays

I also got a WRC Heavy weight Team Jacket thrown in, but this was down to the dealer.

Don't use the hatch much, but on a hot day, if you're flying down some country roads, it cools the interior down quicker than air-con

Scott.
Old 29 January 2001, 04:31 PM
Mikeyboy
Scooby Newbie

Er, i think you can get a Type-R, 3 door in WRX aswell as STI spec can't you? This would be the one that you saw without the adjustable diff.

Mike
Old 29 January 2001, 05:21 PM
David Cullen
Scooby Regular

Mikeyboy

Hmm, don't know if what I think I saw was correct!

But even if it was I think it is still an Sti (ie breathed on by Subaru Technica International) rather than a WRX - which is a Japanese standard spec vehicle - and something never offered in the Type R bodyshell.

But I could be wrong!

Sonic - I think there were 500 (or possibly 555) V-ltd's built in each version but each were slightly different. Mine (version 4) has no roof vent.
Old 29 January 2001, 05:30 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Gents,

I believe that all Type-R's are STI's, except one or two WRX's that have been imported by Prodrive! I have a mate who has a 2 door WRX automatic with approx 260 bhp!!!

All V-Ltd cars have roof vents, but there are also some other 4 door Type-RA's that have the same vent. Can be confusing. I believe that there are also 1000 Type-R V-Ltd's in each run, be it V2,3,4,5 or 6.

Beware of the roof vent though. The catch is only good for speeds up to 50 mph. One or two people have come un-stuck when the catch fails above this speed and blows off. This leaves a hole in the roof as well as a dent just behind the vent housing! Beware of bees and wasps coming in via the vent too. This can be a little off putting!

Cheers,

Matt

Old 29 January 2001, 07:01 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have seen WRX type R's listed on import sites along with STi WRX type R's. I have never seen one though, they all seem to be STi WRX Type R's. I have seen a non-STi WRX type RA WRC Ltd Edition (non V-LTD) though . Shame it took a while to convince insurance companies and the DVLA .

Import wise the amount of models, options, specs, versions is mind blowing .

I found this which seems to list just a few :

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2001, 07:08 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt,

Yep, I have had the same thought about the 'wasp catcher'..

You are correct that there are 1000 models released as V-Limited, but only 500 are released as Type-R, the other 500 being 4-door. (maybe some 5-door, not sure)

The V4 Limited and V3 Limited didn't offer the roof vent. I test drove a V3 before choosing a new V5.

Sonic
Old 29 January 2001, 11:28 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

Sorry to disappoint Sonic but the type R STi Version V in Sonic Blue was much more of a main stream model and not so limited in numbers. The only difference with that of the main stream model was that it was in Sonic Blue and had a roof vent. It was also lacking a limited edition plaque.

As far as I am aware all the limiteds had dash plaques with the serial number out of the total run. i.e. 4/1000
Some of the runs of particular models ran to 1000, some of them were restricted to 500, some other numbers, but the plaque is the giveaway. I think the Version Vs were:
type RA STi Version V Limited 1000
type RA Limited 500
Old 30 January 2001, 09:36 AM
airhead
Scooby Regular

so regarding the Type R V-Ltd V4/V5/V6, what where the main dirrerences between them.

airhead
Old 01 February 2001, 03:55 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you want to know the differences have a look here:
Old 01 February 2001, 04:28 PM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

nice one !!! Ta
Old 01 February 2001, 05:36 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Acker,

Might look further into this. The site listed has the Type R and RA down as Special Editions.

Andy, interesting sites to read through. One thing I'm going home to check straight away is the reference to "Type R special features included black tinted rear windows..." yep, know about that, "... and a distress flare..." !!!!!!

You what..... Got to check that, I'll let you know If anyone in surrey sees a flare going up tonight, I found it !!

Sonic
Old 02 February 2001, 08:18 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Sonic,

You'll find the flare in the passenger side footwell - I keep meaning to let mine off every time I go to a bike race meeting at Donington, what with the airport being next door, it should be a laugh

Chris.
Old 02 February 2001, 11:25 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Angry

B*****d... Someones done away with my distress flare. Either that or it was never there in the first place.

I can see where it should be. There is a very obvious holder for a flare.

Right, where's the yellow pages... Fireworks and Flares....

Sonic
Old 02 February 2001, 02:35 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Angry

Someones had away with mine as well.