ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MetaSAT - Octotelematics

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2009, 08:40 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MetaSAT - Octotelematics

My initial free first year subscription is nearly up on my tracker and its the bizarre above kind. Does anyone know the deal? You have to have 100 units apparently and I have 98 but it appears I have to pay 100 Euros to top up to 100 units. There must be people out there using this system, I'm guessing the new models don't?
Old 15 January 2009, 01:47 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

hi buddy

my metasat tracker on my07sti is topped up via a "pay as you go" sim card,so just stick a tenner on it whenever it runs out(which i have only topped it up once in 2 years)

marcus
Old 15 January 2009, 05:26 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
hi buddy

my metasat tracker on my07sti is topped up via a "pay as you go" sim card,so just stick a tenner on it whenever it runs out(which i have only topped it up once in 2 years)

marcus

Marcus,it depends which Metasat he has fella.

I had this a while back - mine is the same year as your's and i too have a PAYG top up card (that i've not topped up as yet !! ).

However,i think we were the lucky ones.The 07 reg cars had a slightly different arrangement,they have to have units on them and IIRC have to top up EACH year as the OP states.That's 100 euros every year (with the exchange rate the way it is!).

I had this confirmed by Metsat themselves,couldn't believe my luck TBH.Hasn't cost me a bean in 2 yrs of ownership but if i'd waited a couple of months to buy i'd have spent 200 euro's!!

Just as a matter of interest Marcus,how did you top it up?

To the OP - i'm led to believe that when you top up,you won't lose any units you have - ie when topped up you will have 180 units left.

Visit the RB320oc forum,there's quite a lot of information on the Metasat there.

Last edited by renny; 15 January 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 15 January 2009, 07:30 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies guys. I can't believe no one else on here can help or has had the same problems. Spent most of the day searching around the internet. There doesn't appear to be anything directly linked to my question on the RB320 website.

My car has the later MetaSAT so yes 100 Euros to top up even though I have only used 2 to check it was working. The booklet I just read said you lose all the units from the previous year as well so it will go back to 100 when I top up. Seems a pretty poor system all around but I suppose its cheaper than the old Tracker subscription.

Thanks again.
Old 15 January 2009, 09:17 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NormantheDog
Thanks for your replies guys. I can't believe no one else on here can help or has had the same problems. Spent most of the day searching around the internet. There doesn't appear to be anything directly linked to my question on the RB320 website.

My car has the later MetaSAT so yes 100 Euros to top up even though I have only used 2 to check it was working. The booklet I just read said you lose all the units from the previous year as well so it will go back to 100 when I top up. Seems a pretty poor system all around but I suppose its cheaper than the old Tracker subscription.

Thanks again.
Here you go,this may help..........

MeTasat Credits?? - The RB320 Owners Club Forum
Old 16 January 2009, 11:05 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by renny
Marcus,it depends which Metasat he has fella.

I had this a while back - mine is the same year as your's and i too have a PAYG top up card (that i've not topped up as yet !! ).

However,i think we were the lucky ones.The 07 reg cars had a slightly different arrangement,they have to have units on them and IIRC have to top up EACH year as the OP states.That's 100 euros every year (with the exchange rate the way it is!).

I had this confirmed by Metsat themselves,couldn't believe my luck TBH.Hasn't cost me a bean in 2 yrs of ownership but if i'd waited a couple of months to buy i'd have spent 200 euro's!!

Just as a matter of interest Marcus,how did you top it up?
SHIZZEL dude

i wasnt aware there were 2 differant metasat devices......100 euros to top it up very unlucky fella!

i got a vodafone "top up/payment card/swipe card thingie" with my car,just nip't local spar and hand over said card and a ****'n hen......jobs a good en

I guess we were the lucky ones then or did metasat realise the likes of tracker/trackstar etc charged £100 ish per year subscription and realised they were missing the boat.

marcus
Old 16 January 2009, 02:24 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
I guess we were the lucky ones then or did metasat realise the likes of tracker/trackstar etc charged £100 ish per year subscription and realised they were missing the boat.

marcus
Seems we were very lucky and i reckon it was probably to to an oversight - they must have realised very quickly that there was money to be made!!

I know some of the 55 reg cars still had the RAC Trackstar trackers so i guess we were just lucky to be in the one year window if you like,where the best deal was to be!
Old 16 January 2009, 03:53 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

My 08 STI is the same, do they send an email or something when you need to 'top up' the credits?
Old 16 January 2009, 04:00 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NormantheDog

Thanks again.
Hiya,

I have the same system on the RB320.

It doesn't matter how many credits you have left, you have to TOP-UP every 12 months.
We have found out that the credits do roll-over, so when you TOP-UP you'll have 198 for next year.
Old 16 January 2009, 06:33 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IggyRB320
Hiya,

I have the same system on the RB320.

It doesn't matter how many credits you have left, you have to TOP-UP every 12 months.
We have found out that the credits do roll-over, so when you TOP-UP you'll have 198 for next year.
Now getting confused. So if I top-up and have 198 units and next year comes around and I still have over 100 do I have to top up again so I may have 298 or do you just have to be over 100 units?
Old 16 January 2009, 07:54 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say but yes, you still have to top-up.

I did my 2nd year top-up some 8 months ago & its still showing I have 100 credits, as this is the maximum it shows. In reality, I must have about 150.

If you want to test it, don't top-up when it gets to your 12 month limit. Then when you log-in to Octotelematics, your credit status will be ZERO & you will not be able to text your vehicle, hence tracker not working!

I know its naff & seems a bit of a rip-off, but you need to top-up every 12 months.

If you are keeping the car for a long time, I don't know how you'd stand, but you could ring Octotelematics, & check if they do a lifetime buy in, like they do on TRACKER. ie; buy 3 years worth in one go for lifetime subscription.

Let us know how you get on.