ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

help need on exhaust noise??

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2009, 08:42 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help need on exhaust noise??

I right i will keep it short as im screwing!!
just got home, parked on drive, which is in centre of my close/culdersac . was playing about with new stereo (on silent) but just pairing to bluetooth.
one of the neighbours come out tapping on the window. asking me to turn it off as they couldnt hear their TV !!!
now my car was only ticking over, and is a good 15 - 20 meters from their front door let alone their tv.
She said "is there now way you can turn that off" to which i just said no, its on a turbo timer :P .
she then proceeded to say that "her and the other neighbours are fed of of the loud noise early in the morning" (7:15 am) when i go to work "and late at night" anbout 6:00 pm when i get home lol
in the morning i start it to warm car, but also to scrape off all the ice and clear screen with heaters , as everyone else does, eveing i just park up and come indoors.
Car is 01 wrx with only stainless exhaust and panel filter, admittedly second cat is gone .... but its not loud and i never rev itpast 2k till im out the close and half way down the road.
wanted to tell her to jog on and mind her own f'ing business, but they are the type to be straight onto council or whoever.
How can i find out my legal standings before i go show her what some real exhaust noise is all about! baring on mind its only on tickover, and she reckons she cant hear her tv.
Old 10 January 2009, 08:55 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Screwing? Not your neighbour i hope!
What system is it, maybe you can get a bung for the tail pipe.
Old 10 January 2009, 09:00 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

dont know what make it is, it was already on there when bought the car and cant see anything stamped, but I would say its not a cheap one. dont really want to quieten it down. just want to find out if i can get it tested somewhere somehow, for db levels .... whatever they may be. if im under then i will continue as i am and tell her to stick it, and just turn up her tv lol
Old 10 January 2009, 09:02 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

if it is a loud exhaust try and get a bung for leaving and returning home, the last thing you want is the police hassling you. I'd keep the neighbours happy its not worth the potential hassle.

Aaron
Old 10 January 2009, 09:03 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PR08RAD
dont know what make it is, it was already on there when bought the car and cant see anything stamped, but I would say its not a cheap one. dont really want to quieten it down. just want to find out if i can get it tested somewhere somehow, for db levels .... whatever they may be. if im under then i will continue as i am and tell her to stick it, and just turn up her tv lol
if its louder than when it left the factory then technically(sp) it's illegal.
Old 10 January 2009, 09:09 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt of said its actually that much different, but then i dont know many scoobs with standard exhaust still lol.

what , where and how much is bung? how does it work?
Old 10 January 2009, 09:14 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you stick the bung inside your exhaust, its available on scoobyclinic i think, or ebay

wiley
Old 10 January 2009, 09:20 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

it might not sound loud, but an idling scoob, or any car with bassy exhaust can cause **** to vibrate on shelves, glass in internal doors etc. once someone gets wind of an annoyance, it will exaggerate how much much it annoys them the next time it happens. prob better to drive off boost for 5mins before you get home so no need for a turbo timer, and to de-ice the car without the engine running, it is far kinder to gently drive the car until it is warm than to leave it idling until it's warm. lots of debate and resons why on this subject.
Old 10 January 2009, 09:22 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody hells bells your neighbour is lucky,you wanna hear mine when i start it at 3.30 am sometimes when im out early.Even i cringe sometimes when i turn the key to start it.Thinks it all down to neighbour relations at the end of the day bud,lucky i get on well with mine and it aint a problem.If they want to kick up a fuss they will,and most likely the law will be on their side,so it's probably best to get you exhaust noise level checked.....
Old 10 January 2009, 09:23 PM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

must be the time of the month for the lady in question
Old 10 January 2009, 09:24 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

might have to resort to the "bung idea" if complaints persist, but they are jsut the sad middle age couple who never venture out, and live for their garden and there million and one pet cats.

if im legal as i am and they cant do anything, I dont want to change just beacause they are old gits, i swear its just noiseier than there KA so they thing its bad.

fact is at 7:00 when i leave there front room lights are already on and the old boy is walking back from shop with newspaper . shops 15 mins away !! so its not me who wakes them up. its their alram clock :P
Old 10 January 2009, 09:28 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stara
it might not sound loud, but an idling scoob, or any car with bassy exhaust can cause **** to vibrate on shelves, glass in internal doors etc. once someone gets wind of an annoyance, it will exaggerate how much much it annoys them the next time it happens. prob better to drive off boost for 5mins before you get home so no need for a turbo timer, and to de-ice the car without the engine running, it is far kinder to gently drive the car until it is warm than to leave it idling until it's warm. lots of debate and resons why on this subject.
I do let it cool before i get home just coast at twenty the last couple of miles, and have no timer fitted just said it to baffle her and get shot of her lol. I dont mind scraping without engine running but if its misted there nothing i can do but wait for heater to clear it but even when its warm at that time of moring i just roll the road along till i reach the motorway. then i can put foot down a little more.

Any know if theres somewhere i can get it checked properly and get a print out or certificate if its ok
Old 10 January 2009, 09:38 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

only thing you can get is an mot certificate. it is a hassly road to go down though with neighbour disputes though, although it is prob just the one who is taking exception.
Old 10 January 2009, 09:43 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

tell her to go **** herself imo . or tell her to turn her tv up . people like that **** me right off , i had a neihbour who was the same and i told him to jog and that was that he never bothered me after that . who gives a **** if she goes to the council , what are thay gonna do !!
Old 10 January 2009, 09:45 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

worse case is asbo.
Old 10 January 2009, 09:49 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

MOT doesnt to my knowledge cover noise pollution, only emissions. so doesnt really help as mot is designed for the cars road worthy ness in more of a saftey aspect. unless im wrong?

At minute i dont need the hassle of police or council. BUT am not willing to just admit defeat just because one neighbour got shirty.
Old 10 January 2009, 10:08 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

Exhaust Noise Level and the law - Skyline Owners Forum

just read this which has a few interesting points for anyone interested but still doesnt clear it up, as it mostly on my own privately owned land/drive and has current valid mot.
seeing as im not revving it at all during idle till i slowly crawl off.... some very mixed views and opinions.
Old 10 January 2009, 10:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An MOT tester will use his/her judgement to decide if an exhaust is excessively noisy. The car can fail it if they think it is too noisy. My previous car had no silencing and the MOT testers passed it, but warned me that the local plod may not be so understanding, I never had any dramas.
Old 10 January 2009, 10:24 PM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

I understand that if TOO noisey they can refuse a pass. but does an MOT pass really count as being acceptable proof in eyes of the law and the council, vosa, dvla, stupid neighbours etc
Old 10 January 2009, 10:26 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

have a read of this mate

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...y-exhaust.html
Old 10 January 2009, 10:26 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Stara's right, if it's bothering people indoors, it's the vibration. We have a neighbour with a large motorbike, and it rumbles the whole house. I'm sure if it were my bike, I'd love the sound but when it's someone else making it, it's a pain in the neck.
Old 10 January 2009, 10:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine at idle, when cold puts the s***s up my three dogs !

They hate it ! The whole kitchen resonates, cupboard doors, cooker, fridge, everything !

Just spray, and coast away, then let it warm up round the corner, bugging someone else, LOL

dunx
Old 10 January 2009, 10:40 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I am mindful of winding up my neighbours with exhaust noise.. The last thing I want is a dispute or dibble/council knocking on the door.

I have used a very cheap/crude but effective home made bung that works a treat.
It is basically a very large food tin that I push in the exhaust tail pipe and clamp with mole grips. It takes 2 seconds to fit and remove and really quietens the noise down.
As soon as I am at the end of my estate I pull up and remove it.

I said it was crude.lol
Old 10 January 2009, 10:40 PM
Ianm1983
Scooby Regular

mines fully decatted on a blitz Nurspec and its properly loud, sets off car alarms if you park too close at the shops et

no one sez owt to me in my road

if you want ill come to yours and reverse my car up to her front window and redline it a couple of times

lol

on a slightly more useful note, get a bung for yer exhaust to shut em up, some people dont appreciate the flat 4 noise and its a bit anti social even on the quieter ones
Old 11 January 2009, 12:00 AM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PR08RAD
I wouldnt of said its actually that much different, but then i dont know many scoobs with standard exhaust still lol.

what , where and how much is bung? how does it work?
Have a look here>>>>>>bung clicky
Basically it just slips in your tailpipe to quieten it down a notch.

Last edited by mike h; 11 January 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11 January 2009, 08:54 AM
PR08RAD
Scooby Regular

im gonna ring local plod and see what they can recommend , as im convinced the noise is realtive to the car being standard, its just the tone a flat 4 makes. its no noisier than the guy round the corners suzuki gsxr motorbike that he starts every morning. or plenty of my powered muscle cars i can think of, even in standard form.

I will consider a baffle, but am still interested to find out if im actually in the wrong.... as i HAVE to start my car, and HAVE to leave it running a few minutes to let front screen de-mist.
I swear its just her being ****. and would love to just tell her to poke it.

but as she threatened me :P last night to do somthing about it or she would "take matters further" deep down, if anything I know she will only ring council. But a threats a threat in my books. she could of meant anything , so now im scared :P play her at her own game.
just gonna tell local plod i want to resolve amicably (sp) but dont feel im in the wrong, see what they suggest.
Old 11 January 2009, 09:04 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

You need to find someone with an RCM Team Ice system fitted to park outside.. she might just be thankful you haven't put one of those on then

Are they generally a pain in the backside about other stuff? Might be worth just talking to the council and police just to head her off, at least it looks like you've tried to resolve and that you've got in there first.
Old 11 January 2009, 09:47 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a letter back in the summer from the council, Noise Pollution It red some like this.
Hi mr ******* we have had a complaint about W***V**(reg) subaru impreza with a none standard exhaust or modified, if complaints are made again, we will visit your address and monitor your car.
I was peeded off as the only person i would have thought was my next door, i also live in a culdersac. I rang the council stright away with no joy. Said if you have had a complaint you will have to remove it.
Not happy i phoned plod and guess what said the same .
So the very next day i removed and put my other 1 back on still load but had stamps on the tail pipe.
Afew weeks after i phone council back up about the noise of my car, and the chap, a very nice man. Must have had a scoob him self, said you should have left it on. If it was within the limits of the law nothing could have been done.
Think he said 96db, after the talk of my scoob i said i want to make a complaint about my next doors piegions, made the complaint and a letter was sent few days later the piegion lover came to my door with the letter I said yes it was me, after some boring stuff he told me who had reported me his piegion loving mate, and told me that i drive past his house at 0535 every morning. So payback reved with new exhaust every day till i was bored. But wish now i had left the other 1 back on, but was givin duff info when i phone 1st time round.

Mate keep it on, if they have reported you and keep reporting you, then you will be monitored, then and only then if your exhaust is to load you will be asked to remove.
Good luck
Old 11 January 2009, 12:21 PM
sammydice
Scooby Regular

Hi..

I had the same problem with my old 200SX - 3" straight through from the turbo - hmm it was loud made the windows shake at home - Neighbours were a pain in the **** I ended up putting the cat back on...

Any way now I am looking at getting a scooby I want one with a sensible exhaust - I spoke to Extreme scooby and he mentioned something a under 85db to avoid police attenention...

Good Luck..

Ian

Last edited by sammydice; 11 January 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11 January 2009, 12:58 PM
phil84
Scooby Regular

I can't go anywhere without someone hearing me and saying "Was that you goin to so and so last night?" Mine is a 3" straight through

Maybe you should give the bung to your neighbour to shut her up

On a serious note though, don't really want trouble from the 5 0 or council.

Quick Reply: help need on exhaust noise??