Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Neighbours complaining about my exhaust !

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2008, 06:53 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbours complaining about my exhaust !

Opened my garage door this morning to go to work at 7am as I do every morning to find someone had posted a piece of paper under the door which read-

"Can you please do something with your car. Early every morning it wakes people up with the noise. Not everybody goes to work at the same time and it is waking people up when they don't want to wake up. Alot of people are experiencing this. The council will have to be informed should you not change your exhaust system"

If these people do complain to the council,is there anything they can legally do to me ?

My car has GT Spec gen II headers and up-pipe with full Hayward&Scott system. I wouldn't say it was illegally loud !
Old 27 March 2008, 06:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know who it was that posted the note? If so you should go and speak to them, and try and reason with them. Its a bit severe having to spend the money on getting a different exhaust system fitted just because they can hear it in the morning. If I woke up to a scooby exaust I would probs have a grin on my face, Its not as if its causing them serious amounts of trauma surely? They must be a bunch of tw*ts, its as simple as that.

Alan
Old 27 March 2008, 07:01 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

does it pass the MOT with that system on?

i would have thought that if its good enough for that then the neighbours wont have much of a leg to stand on but that is just my opinion, not fact related

A bit of a crappy way of doing things aswell. leaving a note demanding that you do something about your car at your expense so they get a few minutes more sleep - tell them you will be happy to change it (to a system that you want and that leaves you with the same levels of power and torque) but at their full expense lol

OR

Just get a bung made up for your exhaust and pop that in when you know your going to be up 'early' and get them to chip in some of the cost
Old 27 March 2008, 07:01 PM
drtchock
Scooby Regular

you could get an exhaust bung, only cost about £20 and bolt right on real quick.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:07 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Do you know who it was that posted the note? If so you should go and speak to them, and try and reason with them. Its a bit severe having to spend the money on getting a different exhaust system fitted just because they can hear it in the morning. If I woke up to a scooby exaust I would probs have a grin on my face, Its not as if its causing them serious amounts of trauma surely? They must be a bunch of tw*ts, its as simple as that.

Alan
I wish I did know ! I hate it when people sneak around like this,I would much prefer them to have approached me so I could have explained that the car is fully road legal.

There's a guy that lives next door to me in his 80's and a disabled guy in his 60's that lives opposite and both of them love the car. They are always popping over and saying how nice the car looks and sounds
Old 27 March 2008, 07:08 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

There's nothing worse than noisy neighbours, I'm sure you would be p*sed off if they stayed up each night playing loud music and in so doing preventing you sleeping.

They probably put a note under your door as they wanted to do it in a non-confrontational manner. I would suggest being a good neighbour and using an exhaust bung.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with people these days? if your a sensible guy that just goes out in the morning, starts it up, and drives off at min possible rpm what harm are you doing. Would be different if you were out in the street revving the **** off it, launching it 0-60 repeatedly. But aye, I suppose a bung would be an ok solution to keep the elders happy.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:10 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Agreed, get a bung from H&S and problem's sorted..

The repercussions of having the council involved, regardless of right or wrong, will be a real PITA. If they upheld the complaint you could eventually be issued with an ASBO, believe it or not..!

Also as said, having noisy neighbours is a real PITA..!

Out of interest, do you start up and drive off immediately or leave the car ticking over for any length of time..?

Last edited by jasonius; 27 March 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:12 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
There's nothing worse than noisy neighbours, I'm sure you would be p*sed off if they stayed up each night playing loud music and in so doing preventing you sleeping.

They probably put a note under your door as they wanted to do it in a non-confrontational manner. I would suggest being a good neighbour and using an exhaust bung.
Um,I do have to put up with that at times as i'm sure most people do.

But the way I see it,it's all about give and take.

There is a family near me that are all unemployed living in a 5 bedroom house paid for by the council. I suspect it's them complaining as they are getting woken up in the morning when all they want to do is stay in bed
Old 27 March 2008, 07:14 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Agreed, get a bung from H&S and problem's sorted..

The repercussions of having the council involved, regardless of right or wrong, will be a real PITA. If they upheld the complaint you could eventually be issued with an ASBO, believe it or not..!

Also as said, having noisy neighbours is a real PITA..!

Out of interest, do you start up and drive off immediately or leave the car ticking over for any length of time..?
I start it up and drive off within about 1 minute. I have a slow drive for a couple of miles before getting to the motorway which warms the car up.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:15 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

^^^

Exactly, give and take..

If it's as simple as fitting a £20 bung for the morning starts then it's a no brainer and everyone is happy..
Old 27 March 2008, 07:17 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

tomorrow morning get up an hour earlyer and pull it out onto your front and rev the engine a few times to say 8k then sit on their front and do some burn outs, maybe 3 or 4 then when they come out just say

" im warming my tyres for the trip to work"
Old 27 March 2008, 07:19 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
^^^

Exactly, give and take..

If it's as simple as fitting a £20 bung for the morning starts then it's a no brainer and everyone is happy..
I can't see that making it much quiter to be honest. I'm guessing the fact that i'm starting the car in the garage makes it sound louder than it really is.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:21 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
I wish I did know ! I hate it when people sneak around like this,I would much prefer them to have approached me so I could have explained that the car is fully road legal.

There's a guy that lives next door to me in his 80's and a disabled guy in his 60's that lives opposite and both of them love the car. They are always popping over and saying how nice the car looks and sounds
Tell me about it mate. I've lived where I do since I was born. Its a few houses grouped together in the middle of the countryside...everyone speaks to each other whenever they are passing by, really friendly neighbors that i've always known growing up(i'm now 20). But recently the old farm buildings have been converted into houses and people that previously lived in edinburgh or glasgow have moved in because its a nice quiet area. They are some of the most ignorant people i've met. They'd rather ignore you that speak to you. so I had much the same problem with my trials and motocross bikes...there were noise complaints made and no one had a clue about exactly who had made them. Now i'm not an aggressive tosser, and if they had only came over and spoken to me about how the noise was getting to them sometimes I would have put a stop to it, as I can easily push the bikes past their houses if I need to.

Will have to agree to disagree with their ways as they just have a different mentality with living in a city for a long time thats maybe not such a friendly place. Still...rude b*stards!!

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 27 March 2008 at 07:24 PM.
New_scooby_04

I would suggest popping a note in all of your neighbors' doors to the effect of:

Received a note suggesting that some of you may have been annoyed by the volume of my cars exhaust in the morning, unfortunately, the person/s concerned did not identify themselves, they simply threatened me with action from the council unless I changed my exhaust system. Accordingly, I can't respond in a positive manner and try and negotiate an amicable solution at this stage.

I'm sorry if my exhaust is disturbing one/some of you. It is, however, perfectly road legal and the car is driven very gently when started in the morning so as to try and avoid disturbing the surrounding houses. Furthermore a 7am departure is common for people who commute to work by car and hardly anti-social.

If the people affected would kindly contact me in person we can discuss a way of minimising the inconvenience to them over a cuppa. I'm sure you'll agree this is much more in keeping with the spirit of good neighbor relations than anonymous threats. I'm far from an unreasonable person and don't want to cause anyone any undue inconvenience.

Ns04
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Opened my garage door this morning to go to work at 7am as I do every morning to find someone had posted a piece of paper under the door which read-

"Can you please do something with your car. Early every morning it wakes people up with the noise. Not everybody goes to work at the same time and it is waking people up when they don't want to wake up. Alot of people are experiencing this. The council will have to be informed should you not change your exhaust system"

If these people do complain to the council,is there anything they can legally do to me ?

My car has GT Spec gen II headers and up-pipe with full Hayward&Scott system. I wouldn't say it was illegally loud !
hi mate i bet its just 1 person anyway!! 7am is not bad could understand if you was a milkman with a 3am start .....it is good to get on with others down your road tho .....the next thing would be some spineless **** doing things to your car other than that change your exhaust
Old 27 March 2008, 07:23 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I would suggest popping a note in all of your neighbors' doors to the effect of:

Received a note suggesting that some of you may have been annoyed by the volume of my cars exhaust in the morning, unfortunately, the person/s concerned did not identify themselves, they simply threatened me with action from the council unless I changed my exhaust system. Accordingly, I can't respond in a positive manner and try and negotiate an amicable solution at this stage.

I'm sorry if my exhaust is disturbing one/some of you. It is, however, perfectly road legal and the car is driven very gently when started in the morning so as to try and avoid disturbing the surrounding houses. Furthermore a 7am departure is common for people who commute to work by car and hardly anti-social.

If the people affected would kindly contact me in person we can discuss a way of minimising the inconvenience to them over a cuppa. I'm sure you'll agree this is much more in keeping with the spirit of good neighbor relations than anonymous threats. I'm far from an unreasonable person and don't want to cause anyone any undue inconvenience.

Ns04
well said.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

MOT doesn't measure sound - The council (and police) can. You may find that with the system you have that you aren't at all legal. See posts on here before Re: Prodrive exhaust, much quieter than yours and still illegal.

If you push this there is chance you will get a nice fine from the Police.

Put a bung in or buy yourself a cheap runabout i'm afraid.

5t.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:29 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Ns04
I might just try that
Old 27 March 2008, 07:31 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

Ns04
this is what id do .. being resonable imo

if they continue to complain go tell them to fu*k themselves
Old 27 March 2008, 07:32 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

another thing what are the neighbours average ages ???
Old 27 March 2008, 07:36 PM
scoobydazzler
Scooby Regular

was three scoobys in my street at one point (now 2) they must hate us
Old 27 March 2008, 07:36 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

The sooner the current chav trend moves away from loud exhausts the better as far as I'm concerned
Old 27 March 2008, 07:39 PM
404BHP
Scooby Regular

Now that will work everytime
Originally Posted by M444GY
this is what id do .. being resonable imo

if they continue to complain go tell them to fu*k themselves
Old 27 March 2008, 07:40 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

i got the same problem... i once saw a sticker on my window saying: can you please reduce your exhaust and speaker levels in the morning. thanks..

well, i used to park to the nearest parking i find next to my flat block. and my sub comes on as soon as i put ignition on, then BOOM!!!! i then instaled a switch for my sub, but couldnt do anything abt the exhaust, apart from keeping it a bit far in the parking..

any one got pics of the bung?? how can u use it??

is there any way u can make an exhaust loud and silent? something like that??
Old 27 March 2008, 07:40 PM
404BHP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
The sooner the current chav trend moves away from loud exhausts the better as far as I'm concerned
Old 27 March 2008, 07:43 PM
New_scooby_04

I might just try that

Any money it's actually one person with a bee in their bonnet, pretending that you're *****ing others off too! If no-one has the courtesy to respond, they can go take a running jump. You'll probably find a few neighbor offer a friendly word of support, ask them if you can refer to them should the council get involved, and slip em a bottle of wine if they say yes, thanking them for their support!

Always goes down a treat.

ns04
Old 27 March 2008, 07:45 PM
klidder
Scooby Regular

If the OP was to get a bung, how he would he go about removing it and putting it back in when on the motorway etc? Would he have to remove it physically or can it be done electronically by a remote switch or alike?

Also anyone know what the road legal dB levels are for an exhaust? Whats the loudest you can have before you get buggered?
Old 27 March 2008, 07:54 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 404BHP
Now that will work everytime
he he . told one geriatric neighbour to go fu*k himself once after he complained that i was hoovering my car on a bank holiday and it was ruining his day with all the noise .

my responce .......gfys have u got nothing better to do then moan at people doin chores on their days off.

never bothered me again
Old 27 March 2008, 07:56 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

NS04 should have worked for ACAS in the 70's..

Seriously though, try and solve it amicably if at all possible, as once the police/council get involved it could get messy for you..

A letter, as NS's above, will probably be all it takes, but if not it at least shows you're a reasonable person, who's tried to appease your neighbours grievance. It will count for a LOT if it ever goes further..

Quick Reply: Neighbours complaining about my exhaust !