List of Most Dangerous Roads

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2002, 07:41 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Have a look at this: http://www.eurorap.org/

It lists the most dangerous roads rated by deaths/billion () km travelled and is pretty interesting reading...especially when you realise that the roads involved are not generally the places where the speed cameras are being put. Mmmm....

However, from my own experience of some of the roads at the bottom the safety chart the common factor seems to be high speed roads with lots of corners (ie good driving roads). I'd imagine (anyone got the stats?) that the accidents which do happen here tend to be fatal more often because they involve big offs or head-ons when morons overtake on blind bends etc, and also probably a lot of bike accidents.

I've lost count of the number of times I've come round a corner on the A65 or A82 to find a pillock on my side of the road overtaking a caravan - a lot more shocks-per-mile than inner city commuting.

Any thoughts?

Steve
Old 18 February 2002, 07:47 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

The A583 Buxton to Macclesfield road which I frequent some weekends is a fantastic Scooby / sports car road, but is listed as the second most dangerous in the newspaper today (AA findings). However at weekends the road is littered with motorbikes hammering it. I have seen two accidents involving them leaving the road in the past year, so I suspect it is the bikers that are adding to the statistics.
Old 18 February 2002, 08:28 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Yorkie,

The Buxton / Bakewell / Matlock run is packed with bikes throughout the Summer. I'm sure you are right about this being a major contribution to the figures.
I drive that route often and ambulance's are a very common sight.

Lee
Old 18 February 2002, 08:58 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Saw some dtail about this today

one of the major factors which the RAC want dealt with is things like concrete posts just feet from roads (trees... other non forgiving items)

as they RAC bloke said, he had just driven down a 70mph road with concrete lamp posts 3 feet from the road.

If you loose control here (for whatever reason) its gonna hurt!

robski
Old 18 February 2002, 09:07 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

robski,

I agree, theres a lot more to road safety than just speed alone. Speed is only a small though significant part to the equation. Modern roads do seem to be built with ridiculous hazards. There is a island bollard for a right filter on a dual carriageway near where I live that has concrete kerbstones raised over 2 feet high. Whats the sense in that. Needless to say some guy clipped it and spun his car last year nearly killing himself and nearby pedestrians, and he wasn't speeding (40 limit).

Yorkie
Old 18 February 2002, 09:09 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

tesco's car park, some git in a 4x4 will dent ya motor.

most of lincs has the dubious record of most road deaths per mile

steve
Old 18 February 2002, 09:21 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Steve
And the police and Lincs county council seem to be taking some daft measures to combat it. Like the A16 dual carriageway section near the rifle range just before Leadenham. Now reduced to one lane !!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Whats the sense in that. Now everyone has to overtake the tractors and lorries on the single carriageway where theres more risk. They keep putting signs up all over the place: 292 deaths this year; 690 accidents etc etc. Its the useless idiots that can't drive that cause problems in your county (not having a go, M8, just experienced the standard of driving there by non Scooby/enthusiastic drivers ).
Sorry for the rant
Yorkie
Old 18 February 2002, 10:22 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

The third on the list is the A12 towards the M25 - It`s just down the road from me. I can`t for the life of me work out how they came to that conclusion, I`ve never seen a smack down there!
They must have carried out a survey on a day that I was on it!! The "Gallows Corner" roundabout (with flyover)at the Romford end of this stretch is, however, quite tricky in the rush hour so I would guess they may be including this?
JohnD
Old 19 February 2002, 07:28 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

JohnD.

I agree and I thought the same as you when I read that report.
I live very close to that stretch of road and am a pretty frequent user of it, but I can't remember ever seeing an accident there; literally!

Neil.
Old 19 February 2002, 09:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Interesting site - will have a good look today.

I drove the Snake Pass for the first time on Thursday on my day out to Derbyshire. I have to say it is the most amazing road I have ever driven - real sports car stuff. But I can see why you have to concentrate 100% - lots of wagons and Sunday drivers. Great road though

DW