Sponsored by:

I'm new to this subaru lark

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2008, 02:29 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'm new to this subaru lark

Hi, im interested in getting a subaru wagon. Ive always had a bit of a softspot for the wagons and ive currently got a Nissan 200sx S14a. But since i started on a bit of a mission to turn my Nissan into a fast road/track weapon, ive realised that i can chuck a lot of money at the Nissan but it isnt going to grip as well in the corners or from a standstill as a 4wd rally derived car. And since ive always had a thing for quick estates, well there you go.... Dont get me wrong, looking out of your side windows to steer around corners is fun (on track obviously) but its time for a change.

Heres my nissan:

Its running approx 270bhp and i planned to take it onto 350-400ish. So whatever wagon i buy is going to have to be something special. I need a bit of advice though really.

Ideally id like an STI to have a good base to build on but people keep telling me horror stories about imports and history. Also a friend who likes his scoobys tells me that each model of impreza has the bottom end from the later model? is that true? so in theory a 99' for example would have the bottom end from a bug eye?

Also my insurers seem to be taking the mick....they want £3500 fully comp for a standard WRX UK wagon. Im 22, 4 years NCB, 3 points. So can anyone recommend a good company? My Nissan is currently fully comp all mods declared and i pay approx £1k.

Also wagons dont seem to be in abbundance for sale....

Thanks guys.

Steve.
Old 16 December 2008, 03:16 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance speak to Moley WRX at Keith Michaels (or have a look for him in the insurance section of the forum).
there is also A plan but it has to be the Thatcham branch not a high street one.
Not sure how a car built BEFORE the later model will have the bottom end of the later car (or am i reading that incorrectly )

I've run my 93 wrx for 5 years virtually standard and it's fine (most of the impreza owners i know have imports) and they have been fine but it's once you start pissing about with they start to break because some do it on the cheap or incorrectly.
If you do get service history from a fresh import it will be in Japanese

tbh i think STI wagons are pretty rare and are slightly less powerful than the same year saloon.

always worth having a look in the various for sale section s on here.
Old 16 December 2008, 03:28 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Insurance speak to Moley WRX at Keith Michaels (or have a look for him in the insurance section of the forum).
there is also A plan but it has to be the Thatcham branch not a high street one.
Not sure how a car built BEFORE the later model will have the bottom end of the later car (or am i reading that incorrectly )

I've run my 93 wrx for 5 years virtually standard and it's fine (most of the impreza owners i know have imports) and they have been fine but it's once you start pissing about with they start to break because some do it on the cheap or incorrectly.
If you do get service history from a fresh import it will be in Japanese

tbh i think STI wagons are pretty rare and are slightly less powerful than the same year saloon.

Cheers mate, with the engine thing though, like i said it might be a complete myth. My mate says that apparently the bottom ends they have in mind for the newer models are tested on the model before (the late ones of that model).....i have no idea if its true though

Your absolutely right in what you say about modifying them (in that things can start to break) but i suppose you just have to be sensible and do it properly first time.
Old 16 December 2008, 03:36 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myblackwrx

My STi Wagon has the same exact engine code as in a saloon STi of the same year. Quoting same BHP figures

I know the WRX wagon's had 40bhp less.

Some one with a STi wagon here confirm?
Old 16 December 2008, 04:28 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

I'd shop around for insurance, that does seem alot!
If it still turns up they want to "pull your pants down" I'd look at getting a UK turbo.
About 70bhp less than the imports (I think, not a bad thing either by any means) but then at least you get used to a 4wd car, you drive in different to a RWD.
Old 16 December 2008, 09:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi Ste,

Without being rude, your budget will determine what model year/Version number you end up with...

The only change for example from V6 STI to V7 STI (bug-eye) was a far better ecu to avoid exploding engines, (heads gained variable valve timing too !)
So some truth that an STI may have the next years developments ahead of the WRX.
All STI wagons are imports, so the later ones (may be ?) Ecutek re-mapped, whereas early cars need a swap of ecu e.g.(Apexi Power FC thingy) I'm no expert, but they seem just as capable as the saloons, but the V7 wasn't a UK model.

HTH

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 16 December 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 16 December 2008, 09:42 PM
DANI
Scooby Newbie

HI mate im 20 and own a uk turbo 2000 with ppp, try lloyds tsb for insurance its not going 2 be cheap but probably cheaper than youve been quoted good luck !
Old 17 December 2008, 01:32 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

a few people have suggested i try a UK Turbo 2000 wagon. Which it seems like i might have to. Budget wise, im not really too fussed what i spend. Id like a mint wagon though, preferably with at least 300bhp so i can take it even further.
Ill have a hunt around for more insurance
Old 17 December 2008, 01:42 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

its worth mentioning that whatever car you get leave enough left over for a course with Andy Walsh Carlimits.com

The best experience money can buy.
Old 17 December 2008, 04:03 PM
Scoobydudey
Scooby Regular

Ive just gone down this route and bought an 05 plate blobeye wagon std it was 225 bhp its been remapped to 250 just fitted a WRsport back box collins dump valve, Zero induction kit will get a de-cat pipe next and get it re-mapped should be around the 280 mark which will do (FOR NOW!!!) the experiance of having all the grip is great as ive come from a 2 door Cossie running about 320 unusable bhp buy a Scooby youll love it

Last edited by Scoobydudey; 17 December 2008 at 04:05 PM.