Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2008, 09:03 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over 4 months on and still no log book

Sorry, long post

not going to mention the garage in question at the moment

When i brought the car it had a private reg from the previous owner who part x'd it. I was told then that the registration would be put on retention and the logbook would be sent on to me. Since then i have heard all sorts of stories regarding sending the wrong section away, having to wait for the previous owner to send it away again etc etc.

I spoke to the salesman 2 weeks ago and he told me that the paperwork had been returned and he was going to take it to the DVLA to put the plate on retention and then the original plates could be put back on within 7 days. I then found out that this has not been done at all, and now they want to register the car in my name then when i receive the logbook give it back to them so they can get the plate put on retention. At the time of buying the car i did sign the logbook as the new owner and then had a photcopy of it as a record.

Proper P1553d off now cant beleive they have basically lied to me all this time. Not really sure what to do though, it doesnt look like i will get the logbook now until January. Is there any legal problems involved in this? and should i expect something from the garage for this poor aftersales service?. I have been fairly calm so far as i was hoping it would help get it sorted quicker, Although that doesnt appear to have happened

Half tempted to put the plate on retention myself and sell it, Although i dont think that i could do that to the previous owner.

Last edited by Jamie120182; 15 December 2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 15 December 2008, 09:07 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

did u not get the new keeper suplement/??
there is a form u can get at a post office and fill it and send the new keeper suppleement with the form .. make sure recorded post ...
Old 15 December 2008, 09:16 PM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Underworld
did u not get the new keeper suplement/??
there is a form u can get at a post office and fill it and send the new keeper suppleement with the form .. make sure recorded post ...
Thought i did but it looks like i just got a copy of the mot, and signed the logbook and left it with them to have the plate put on retention.
Old 16 December 2008, 12:35 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

You can apply through the DVLA local office for a new V5, I suggest you do so, and if you get it, then scr@w the dealer, keep the plate!

Simon
Old 16 December 2008, 11:13 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
You can apply through the DVLA local office for a new V5, I suggest you do so, and if you get it, then scr@w the dealer, keep the plate!

Simon
Agree fukm
Old 16 December 2008, 11:26 PM
EAndy
Scooby Regular

Aslong as you've the V5C/2 you can use that new owners part and a V62 to apply direct for the log book.

It has 3 tick options on the V62.

1.) you lost it so you send £25 for it
2.) previous owner never sent away log book
3.) can't remember?

But aslong as you have the V5C/2 you get the £25 wavered anyway.

Thats what i'd do.

Forms can be downloaded! ah... i'm feeling helpful here you go

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v62.pdf
Old 17 December 2008, 12:34 AM
Jamie120182
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EAndy
Aslong as you've the V5C/2 you can use that new owners part and a V62 to apply direct for the log book.

It has 3 tick options on the V62.

1.) you lost it so you send £25 for it
2.) previous owner never sent away log book
3.) can't remember?

But aslong as you have the V5C/2 you get the £25 wavered anyway.

Thats what i'd do.

Forms can be downloaded! ah... i'm feeling helpful here you go

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v62.pdf

Cheers for that mate but i dont have any part of the logbook, The initial problem i think was the new owner section was removed along with the trader details when the car was traded in. I think then the salemen who dealt with it lost this section so they have been stalling while they get a new logbook. The business manager basically confirmed that the salemen had been fobbing me off, and i am not entirely sure whether using this new person is a new angle to fob me off. Because of all these troubles should i demand something from them for example a free service, does anyone know what sort of things they offer when they mess up, there must be some procedure for this.
Old 17 December 2008, 08:15 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Had pretty much the same problem when i bought mine. What i did is, rang DVLA to see if they had recieved any documents for the vehicle, they had not (they where very helpful surprisingly). Filled in v62 and sent it recorded. Recieved log book within 2 weeks.
Re the private plate thats upto you, you will have the previous keeper details on the new log book so you can contact them if you wish to return it to them, although the onus is on the previous keeper to retain the plate and pay the transfer costs before selling the vehicle on. Personally i would keep the plate. Is it a nice scoob related one? Hth
Old 17 December 2008, 12:55 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by b13bat
the onus is on the previous keeper to retain the plate and pay the transfer costs before selling the vehicle on. Personally i would keep the plate. Is it a nice scoob related one? Hth

Agreed,
When you are looking to transfer a plate, the DVLA make it very clear that you have to complete the whole exercise before you sell the car.

The plate has effectively been sold to you with the car and you are now the legal owner. If you have signed some other form of external agreement, that is another matter, but in DVLA eyes does not count.

I have just sold my own car and the new owner was fair enough to wait until all the paperwork was complete, before actually collecting the car.
Old 17 December 2008, 07:06 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above - apply for a new logbook and keep the plate.
On your sales invoice in the car details does it have the private reg number? if it does and there's nothing in writing to say the plate will be transfered then you've bought the car with the private number and the garage can't make you transfer it off
Old 17 December 2008, 07:17 PM
mikesfarm1
Scooby Regular

i agree with above too. but i would be inclined to have a polite chat with the guys at trading standards to see where you stand.
Old 17 December 2008, 11:01 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

i lost a reg plate that was mine by NOT doing it before the dealer bought my car its now your plate as far as i am concerned i never got mine back and dvla said just that if i wanted it i should have done it myself!!

send off for the log book and keep it unless either your mates with the garage in question (doubt it now though!) or know the previous owner.

by the way if anyone see's a green mg zr with wr03ers on it please send them my way as i would like my plate again lol