Sponsored by:

Cracked my splitter

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2008, 03:22 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked my splitter

Ok well after two years of careful driving and close (damage free) scraps I've finally managed to trash my splitter, right in the middle with crack, a chip and a dent for good luck, its a Scott Lowe one on my Haykeye.

Now I'm not one for throwing away and am going to repair it me thinks, I'm thinking:

Stiffen up the back of the crack with a old bit of plastic used as a brace by bonding it on.
Fill the chip and crack with filler and rub down smooth.
Spay with plastic primer and then a top coat of matt black.

I'm sure some have been repaired before and wondered if this is the route you went down, if so what did you uses to glue the brace on with, where did you buy and what type of filler did you use and how can I stop the top coat of paint chipping easily.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Arron

Last edited by Abx; 28 November 2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 28 November 2008, 03:46 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

The same happened to me. It must be the 2 year itch. Missed a turning, so turned around in a wee housing estate. Only to find the mother of all speed bumps. Mine also broke in the middle and was a Scott Lowe one.

I took it to the garage for a repair and was told it would cost £150 and would not be as strong as the original item. I told them it was £175 and they actually turned my money away saying it's better to just get a new one.

So i did!

I've heard of some people repairing them.
Old 28 November 2008, 06:45 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Try this stuff, worked a treat on my cracked splitter. Very strong bond.

Plastic Weld > Maplin
Old 28 November 2008, 10:42 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

DO NOT REPAIR IT !!! if you intend doing high speeds, i did and the thing gave way at speed causing the o/s of the bumper to rip away from the wing, the small vent to disapear, the wheel arch liner and clips to be ripped out and disapear kinking the o/s wing and pulling it out of alignment with the door, and causing superficial underfloor scuffs, buy a new one its cheaper in the long term

Last edited by Black-Hawk; 28 November 2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01 December 2008, 10:50 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys.

Think I'm still going to repair as quite sure the repair I'm planning will actually be stronger than the rest of the splitter, also give me something to do aswell as the car is pretty much how I want it now not not played around for ages!

STIFREAK, where was your spitter from and what was it made out of, the Plasticweld looks good but my splitter is from scott lowe and I don't think theirs are made out of plastic, if it worked on yours thought I'll give it a go along with some Aldite, do you think that once applied and dry it could be sanded?

Scooby401, yeah I found a previous post weher you said waht had a happened, sounded pretty unfortunate, I guess it split again due to the air force and went under the wheel, hence the damage, did you use any bracing at the rear of the repair or did you just glue the break?

Thanks
Arron
Old 01 December 2008, 12:34 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

My splitter is made from Poly Urethane and was supplied by HT Autos.
Old 01 December 2008, 01:08 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I lol'd when I read the title (damn inuendo in the office today)
Old 01 December 2008, 04:54 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
I lol'd when I read the title (damn inuendo in the office today)
Oh yeah, reading it back I can see exactly what you mean!!!
Old 02 December 2008, 03:37 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

ht auos for me as well-very good quality and last longer than my scott lowe one
martin
Old 02 December 2008, 03:46 PM
rockinrobin
Scooby Newbie

Sorry to dive in on your post Arronb, but interesting read on splitters and their strengths.. I was about to get myself one on a well known auction site, one of them was by HTAutos Item number: 310098947805 and the other is discountjapparts-2008 item number 260325052597.. Out of the 2 which would be the better buy in your opinion ? Not checked out Scott Lowe at all yet but will do so now. Info apreciated guys

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02 December 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02 December 2008, 04:14 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Rokinrobin, the splitters we are discussing above are for newage cars and are little black lips that fit under the front bumper, the 2 you mention and P1 style splitters and would need to blend into the bodywork more as they need to be colour coded. Both look ok, ones plastic and ones fiber (something or other), seems quite a few people rate the plastic as they bend more where as the others can crack, sure they both have their pros and cons, one thing I would say though is if a plastic spoiler bends it will generally split the paint aswell so benefit if they are left plain black.

Have heard good things about HT though.

Sorry can't be too much help.
Old 02 December 2008, 05:42 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
Thanks for the comments guys.

Think I'm still going to repair as quite sure the repair I'm planning will actually be stronger than the rest of the splitter, also give me something to do aswell as the car is pretty much how I want it now not not played around for ages!

Scooby401, yeah I found a previous post weher you said waht had a happened, sounded pretty unfortunate, I guess it split again due to the air force and went under the wheel, hence the damage, did you use any bracing at the rear of the repair or did you just glue the break?

Thanks
Arron
Did what i thoght was an ok repair at the time using fibre glass sheets/resin for strength on the inside, then a fibre glass paste, and filler repair on the outer
Old 03 December 2008, 09:10 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby401
Did what i thoght was an ok repair at the time using fibre glass sheets/resin for strength on the inside, then a fibre glass paste, and filler repair on the outer
Sounds like a pretty good solid repair, suprised it went again after all that. Maybe I'll have to think a new repair tatic, its still pretty solid so I hoping a bit of the original strenth is still there which will help, thinking repair it before it gets too bad, I'm sure these get damaged all the time and people drive round with cracks in them with no issues. One thing is for sure the Mrs aint keen on me buying a bew one!!!