Sponsored by:

Do not like New WRX

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2001, 08:22 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

While my P1 is being babysat by my local dealer they are letting me use their WRX which has had the performance pack.
First impressions are that this is a lot less fun ( to nice to you ) and the lag until just over 3000 revs gives you enough time to read the first page of The Times, i know it is not run in yet but i am not sure it will make much difference, between 4500-5500 their is also a quite considerable flat spot.
Not for me anyway.
Old 25 January 2001, 11:33 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Red face

Do you mean the new UK WRX?

I just bought one - the PP isnt available (see Mike Woods comments - he's the Prodrive man) - so are you bull****ing?
Old 26 January 2001, 06:44 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Jason

As james says the PPP for the WRX is not out yet. I think you should also have had a go in a std MY00 at the same time. You would of noticeda big difference as well.

Did you also notice how little understeer there was compared to your P1 ?.

Peter

Down the same country roads it feels better than the MK1 inc the P1. Could do with a bit more feel throught the steering. Still needs the PPP though.

Jonathan

ex P1
Old 26 January 2001, 09:17 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Yes - i have driven it down a B road. Its fantastic. Sure its not got the punch of a P1 but its great. The only thing i dont like is that 2nd gears tall and therefore you seem to be out of boost coming out of slow corners. I guess you can adapt to that though. I'd make sure everyone test drives it before slagging it.

James
Old 26 January 2001, 09:48 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well some people are buying them. I saw 3 or 4 new ones being delivered to Cheam Motors yesterday, so they can't be all bad

Chris
Old 26 January 2001, 10:17 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
<B>Well some people are buying them. I saw 3 or 4 new ones being delivered to Cheam Motors yesterday, so they can't be all bad
Chris[/quote]

Dealers taking delivery doesn't always mean that those cars have been sold!!!! I've heard that if you want particular colours, you could almost drive one away!!!

Matt.
Old 26 January 2001, 12:00 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

I had a 30min drive of the new WRX estate.
Its a good compromise between performance and comfort....but did not have the midrange punch of my MY99
No creaks or rattles though...stiffer body shell I guess

Has anyone given these things a good blast down a B road yet ?
How does it feel ?
Pete
Old 26 January 2001, 05:38 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Gentlemen PLEASE!

Try finding a new one to buy "off the shelf". You cant.

They are quoting May-June at the earliest now. And you'd be lucky to get one then - mine was 4 weeks late.

Subaru are restricting supply to keep demand high.

Old 26 January 2001, 06:22 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

James

Dont think your correct there. There are a lot around at the moment. I think people are hanging back for the bucket seats/limited edition in May. My dealer could get one straight away.

Chins

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 26 January 2001).]
Old 26 January 2001, 06:31 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

As it sounds like some people are looking to buy: I'm sure there are other places around but I know virgincars are shortly doing the new WRX import from Europe for £18,750 (available with bucket seats, or sports seats with air bags) with 20 week waiting list.

If it's gonna be may for one through the dealers anyway save £2,500!
Old 26 January 2001, 08:40 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Just thought I'd say how good I think the new WRX is.

Oh NO how could he think such a thing I hear all Mk1 one owners shouting. But in my opinion the new car is a wonderful mix of performance and comfort. Who cares about comfort I hear you say, but when you spend half your time in traffic jams, comfort is becoming a much more important factor for everyday performance cars (Autocar don't give 5 stars to every Tom Dick or Harry). And as for the looks everyone complained about the merecedes E-Class looks when it was introduced but after a few months people got used to it.

Now on to my car,

I've just ordered my WRX from Virgin Cars last week. Delivery will be early July which is more than the 20 weeks quoted on their website, but I think this is due to my choice of silver as the exterior colour(most people want silver or WR blue mica), and the rally seat option inside.

But I'm saving just under £3000 (Virgin price includes metallic option), so I think I can live with the wait. Also it gives me a chance to sell my MX-5.
Old 26 January 2001, 10:07 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Pick mine up Monday morning. My only regrets at the moment, are not having got the suspension lowered by about 20mm right from the start. Mind you, I suppose that I might have some more comments when I've actually get it!
Old 26 January 2001, 10:43 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Johnathon sorry if i was miss informed about the ppp by the dealer as i was told today when i dropped the " family car" back off.
I am always on b-road's and the mountains lakes etc and the new wrx does not even come close and won't even with ppp, yes it does not have the power and the chassis is stiffer but the whole round feel just is not their anymore.
I think they are just trying to take the edge away which is the fun part of things, if you want comfort by a volvo or audi.
JUST AN OPINION
Old 26 January 2001, 11:17 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

"""I think they are just trying to take the edge away which is the fun part of things, if you want comfort by a volvo or audi."""

I've spend a few days in the S60 and although it's the best driving Volvo it doesn't come close to the handling of the new WRX. The MY01 is 'inbetween' an old Impreza and luxury saloons like the Volvo/Audi etc. Some may even call it the best of both worlds. Others will says it's flesh nor fish. Well, i like it more and more.
Old 26 January 2001, 11:31 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Jason

I'm not so sure it wont come close with the PPP. After taking the MY01 on the same roads as my P1 I certainly was carrying more speed through corners on rough roads, and on my trusted wet roundabout that the P1 always had me backing off on due to major understeer the MY01 just kept going round. I had to go and try the same section a few times as I couldnt believe it. Yes it feels comfortable, but dammn its fast through the bends. Add PPP and lower it and I think you'll struggle to shake it. After ditching the P1 for the Audi comfort you refer to (S4) the MY01 has me thinking about my 6th Scooby. I went into the test drive to satisfy myself that my S4 and old P1 were far superior. I had driven the MY01 before three up on roads that were new and was disapointed like yourself. Might not wait for the STI.

Jonathan