Sponsored by:

Someone keeps keying my car!

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2008, 07:12 PM
PMD
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone keeps keying my car!

I've got a mica blue MY00 turbo that I've only recently got back after being off the road for a while. Previously someone had put a cross with a key on the driver's door - not massive but noticeable enough. I noticed today that since getting it back about 3 days ago someone has now put a similar cross on my bonnet by the air intake scoop.

An RX8 in my road (black) has taken a pretty bad keying all the way down one side in the last few months. Any ideas on how I can catch the ***ker that's doing this?!

I live in south London and park on the street outside my house but don't have a clear view of the car all the time. Short of sitting by the window with blunt instrument in hand (hypothetically speaking Officer!) any ideas on how to catch them at it? Is it worth buying a couple of cameras and sticking them in the car..?

I reckon if I catch him at it (there's some oik that walks his dog late at night who lets it crap all over the pavement so I reckon he's a strong candidate!) and then kick off I run the risk of my car getting properly turned over...do I just have to bite the bullet on this one..?
Old 13 November 2008, 07:20 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Set up some wireless cameras inside the car. Record it to a hard drive in the house.
Old 13 November 2008, 07:54 PM
PMD
Scooby Newbie

Yeah; cameras small enough and enough of them mihgt be a bit pricey (appreciate the suggestion though).

Having seen the pics of what some ***ts did to that guy's car with brake fluid last week I suppose I might just have to count myself lucky and suck it in...
Old 13 November 2008, 11:14 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

probably some little chav kid... had my clio key'd a few times, ended garaging it after the last re-spray

wiley
Old 13 November 2008, 11:21 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PMD
I've got a mica blue MY00 turbo that I've only recently got back after being off the road for a while. Previously someone had put a cross with a key on the driver's door - not massive but noticeable enough. I noticed today that since getting it back about 3 days ago someone has now put a similar cross on my bonnet by the air intake scoop.

An RX8 in my road (black) has taken a pretty bad keying all the way down one side in the last few months. Any ideas on how I can catch the ***ker that's doing this?!

I live in south London and park on the street outside my house but don't have a clear view of the car all the time. Short of sitting by the window with blunt instrument in hand (hypothetically speaking Officer!) any ideas on how to catch them at it? Is it worth buying a couple of cameras and sticking them in the car..?

I reckon if I catch him at it (there's some oik that walks his dog late at night who lets it crap all over the pavement so I reckon he's a strong candidate!) and then kick off I run the risk of my car getting properly turned over...do I just have to bite the bullet on this one..?
I'd sit up all night and find out who it is. Then I'd plot my revenge.
Old 14 November 2008, 04:47 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I dont think you could really do much directly to them, as they can come back the week later and do worse to the car........
Old 14 November 2008, 07:25 AM
p060064h
Scooby Regular

I think u are missing the point it is crimanal damage when you catch them yu dont need to sort it out your self. The courts will make them pay for the repair. Also a camera that auto turns on when it senses moovment ain't that expensive. If you dont just sit in a dark room away from the window and wait and take a photo when he is doing it for evedence.
Old 14 November 2008, 10:11 AM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Good ideas lads but you need a good quality ir camera to capture their faces well enough to stand up in court. you either bite the bullet and pay the money to buy a good camera or buy cheap and see if you recognise them and sort it yourself.

You say you count yourself lucky and maybe you should just suck it in............. wake up mate they are causing criminal damage to your car. Id do whatever i could to stop it, if they come back again, so do you

Its just my opinion mate and i can imagine the agro your having over this. Pisses me off the things people do to someones elses pride and joy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Old 14 November 2008, 10:22 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Had a few problems around my area. I have a scooby and land rover.. both liked by thieves.. So spent out on a nice cammerawith built in FTP

http://satancom.gotdns.org/

Can even see it on my mobily
Old 14 November 2008, 10:58 AM
PMD
Scooby Newbie

Quite happy to take it to them if I catch them at it but I'll always come off worse financially if they smash my car up - it's parked on the street all day when I'm at work so it's a bit vulnerable.

Like you say, the camera would need to get a clear enough pic of their face and of them actually causing the damage etc.

Satancom - what model camera is that? Is the picture clear at night time? Suppose I can check back later this evening?!
Old 14 November 2008, 11:09 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PMD

Satancom - what model camera is that? Is the picture clear at night time? Suppose I can check back later this evening?!
Its a mobotix M1. It has capacity for two lenses. I keep meaning to buy the night one. At the moment the night time image isn't great. But all the trouble I was having was during the day so served its purpose. Its a good few years old now and curren't models cost around £1k.

Maplins do a good range in a much nicer price bracket
Old 14 November 2008, 11:15 AM
b19man
Scooby Regular

buy a shotgun
Old 14 November 2008, 01:49 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

this is horrible to hear about

have a word with the RX8 owner and see if he can shed any light???

always worth keeping the neighbours vigilant and maybe offer a small reward for information.

failing that a camera is the way to go, but again, this will be hit or miss depending on the location etc.....

difficult call, but might be worth limiting the risk and trying to get a nearby garrage or find some old biddy with a drive they dont use in the road somewhere!!!

sorry, not a great deal of help but i share your frustration.

also standing by your car witha baseball bat when said dog walker is due his exercise might intimidate him enough, witha few mates chatting and giving him the evil eyes !!!! lol

do you know where this dog walker lives? might be worth asking a few questions from his neighbours etc....

hope it goes away and you get left in peace to enjoy what you work hard for !!!

good luck mate