Sponsored by:

Questions about the 2008 wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2008, 10:34 AM
slim26
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the 2008 wrx?

Im new here if ya cant tell. Ok i own a neon srt-4 and was looking to get a family car with some style. I really like the 2008/2009 wrx wagon. No STI's because I really dont feel like spending that much money. Just wondering what the pros and cons are of the car.

Thanks
Slim
Old 13 November 2008, 10:38 AM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MY08 WRX is a Hatchback not a wagon. If there are any left so be will the MY09 WRX or maybe even a tractor juice hatchback only.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:40 AM
slim26
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by CaptainJohn
The MY08 WRX is a Hatchback not a wagon. If there are any left so be will the MY09 WRX or maybe even a tractor juice hatchback only.
LOL you just confused the crap out of me.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:48 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim26
Im new here if ya cant tell. Ok i own a neon srt-4 and was looking to get a family car with some style. I really like the 2008/2009 wrx wagon. No STI's because I really dont feel like spending that much money. Just wondering what the pros and cons are of the car.

Thanks
Slim

TBH I wouldn't bother. Styling is bland over the STI (Which is no looker) and the handling is very wooly. Check out this months EVO Magazine to see how much lean it has through the corners . And thats the WRXS.

The STI is the only new shape impreza to consider. If you can't afford an STI, get a Focus/Astra/Golf etc. Better looking, better built, better residuals. The only thing the WRX has over them is 4WD.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:58 AM
slim26
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stilover
TBH I wouldn't bother. Styling is bland over the STI (Which is no looker) and the handling is very wooly. Check out this months EVO Magazine to see how much lean it has through the corners . And thats the WRXS.

The STI is the only new shape impreza to consider. If you can't afford an STI, get a Focus/Astra/Golf etc. Better looking, better built, better residuals. The only thing the WRX has over them is 4WD.
Thanks for the info, but its going to be a family car, so I wont be cornering it all the time. What im asking is hows the safty and all of those goodies. LOL I hate fords and not big fans of VW's.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:15 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi and welcome, dont listen to the "naysayers"
One of the many problems on here is the new ones arn't that popular with the anti change brigade i cant fault your views on vauxhalls and the like, from what i gather most that have them think they are great and those that don't should not be trying to put newcomers off owning a subaru
they are fantastic cars and im sure the new one is no exception.
No subaru has ever been perfect out of the box and most that own them have at least one modification if not significantly more..
An answer to your original question i dont have but im sure those with the new shape will be along shortly to tell you
Old 13 November 2008, 11:19 AM
slim26
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Hi and welcome, dont listen to the "naysayers"
One of the many problems on here is the new ones arn't that popular with the anti change brigade i cant fault your views on vauxhalls and the like, from what i gather most that have them think they are great and those that don't should not be trying to put newcomers off owning a subaru
they are fantastic cars and im sure the new one is no exception.
No subaru has ever been perfect out of the box and most that own them have at least one modification if not significantly more..
An answer to your original question i dont have but im sure those with the new shape will be along shortly to tell you
Thanks for the info man. I will probably go test drive one real soon.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:33 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

1st advice: Take one for a test drive.

The interior of Jap cars is not always everyone's cuppa.... and the performance of the WRX is nothing spectacular compared to the other new hot hatches and saloons on the market (I think what stilover was trying to point out)

Obviously it's still a Subaru, so they are very shore-footed directioally compared to other FWD cars with similar power, but overall handling is more comparable.

Fuel ecconomy is the biggest issue with Impreza's... 100% AWD sucks power and fuel...one of the crosses the Subaru family have had to bear for a long time...if you're wanting a quick family car then yes it fits the bill nicely... if you want an ecconomical quick family car... get a new-gen Turbo diesel which will hold it's value better too...

We've all accepted (well most of us here) that 2nd hand scoobies are pretty much worthless... if you can live with that..then spend away...you'll prob love it...
Old 13 November 2008, 05:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just to contradict myself if i were looking at new sporty family ish cars id be giving the sporty megan a good seeing to and have you seen the new mazda 6 mps
Old 13 November 2008, 08:54 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

As a long time Subaru fan, and owner of a few Imprezas, I was hoping for great things from the MY08. Sadly its a bit of a let-down. Had extensive test drives and its not a car I could buy. I tried Mazda 3 MPS, Golf GTi, Focus STi, Octavia vRS.
Basically I liked the Golf and Octavia best (they share the same chassis) - very planted and easy to REVO up to around 240bhp. Lots of standard goodies like ESP and EDL. In the end I got an Octavia, mainly because I found the seats best and there's masses of room in back for the kids. Engine also has a lovely spread of torque which makes it easy to drive in a 'lazy' fashion when you want to.
The MY08 is just not selling. I am about 5 miles from a Subaru dealer and I've only seen about 2 on the local roads (and I think one of those belongs to a salesman at the garage).