Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have just come across this website
Old 19 January 2001, 10:37 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've never used one - but according to the Porsche club they are fantastic ! £380 plus £30 per year for GPS updates via the net - sounds like a bargain ! (if you've got 9 points......)
Old 19 January 2001, 10:53 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Another
Old 19 January 2001, 11:41 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Anyone know of a comparitive review between these two GPS based devices, and a similarly priced Radar detector?

From what I understand I guess both types have plus/minus points:

The GPS based devices will warn you of SPECS sites, plus other non-radar based traps, but not of the boys in blue sat in their car with a speed gun. Plus they won't false alarm unless someone stole a camera :-)

The radar detector won't get SPECS etc, but _may_ detect the boys in blue IF they are using RADAR and not VASCAR or similar. False alarms are not exactly uncommon.....

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.
Old 20 January 2001, 07:33 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I got one at xmas time. Very neat. It sits nicely in the centre cubby hole on the dash and is soooo easy to use.

Upsides.

It lets you know of blackspots well in advance so you can adjust your speed to match the hazzard. I first start get a beeping about 300 yards before a blackspot, which the rises in tone and frequency as I get closer.

Excellent customer service. Ordered on Friday
Got on Monday

Can be used on both bikes and cars.

Everything is adjustable by use of the built in dial up facility.

Morpheus database is updated every 2 hours!

You get 50 quid if you spot a blackspot it does'nt know about(not seen one yet)

The downsides.

Where there's been roadworks with a camera and they've gone you do get an alert. I guess they concentrate on new cameras rather than ones that are gone.

The beep is a little quiet when you've got the ICE on .

The GPS works in a circle, it does'nt know which road you are on, just where you are. Thus if a blackspot is within say a 300 yard radius of where you are, you will still get a warning. But since the lights count down to the blackspot you can soon tell whether to ignore it.

Reviews
Old 20 January 2001, 09:51 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

... and sadly these will be banned, along with radar detectors, if the govenment gets it's way (see other topics).

Still, at least you would only get a maximum of 6 points plus GBP1000 fine, and not the GBP5000 Wireless and Telegraphy ACt hit n'all!

mb
Old 20 January 2001, 10:42 AM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was in a taxi with one fitted in Northampton before Xmas. It was VERY effective, plenty of warning etc.

Leigh
Old 20 January 2001, 12:03 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Well, I think there are more Gatso type things around than radar traps, and I've been looking at that Morpheus thing for a while now.
I guess now's the time...

Stef.
Old 20 January 2001, 07:18 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I'd be interested to see how these could be banned. Under what law? Would it then make it illegal to own your own GPS with programmable waypoints ? I think not.
Sounds like a good unit to me - think I may invest....
Old 20 January 2001, 07:44 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Theres a review in this months Revs magazine for those interested..highly rated too
Old 20 January 2001, 10:39 PM
Andy Burrell
Scooby Regular

Question

I read the Revs article this morning whislt car was being serviced, looks and sounds ideal. Does it need to be on the top of Dash ? or would it fit in place of the Ashtray ?
Old 21 January 2001, 01:34 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Smile

Not wishing to split hairs but a GPS receiver is not a device "to prevent detection". The article proposes that devices that <I>detect</I> speed enforcement cameras would be made illegal. A GPS does not detect anything - it merely "states" facts. The existance of a camera location is a given fact full stop. A GPS will not detect it, merely announce the fact that you are approaching an area where a camera has been sited. As the Morpheous publicity states (I paraphrase) - speed cameras <I>should</I> be sited at known black spots or dangerous areas. Surely early warning of such a device will also give early warning of a dangerous area and thus help avoid accidents? (I know I'm preaching to the converted here).
I think the government will be hard pushed to criminalise the use of GPS receivers in cars. For a start many new cars have them installed already as nav aids. A quick visit to the internet will reveal many lists of camera sites; enter these as waypoints and bob's your father's brother. I use GPS in my day to day work (aviation ) and it would be a piece of old eeze to load up a handheld GPS in a similar way.
Anyway, to take the opening argument to it's extreme, a written list of speed camera locations being read out by your passenger would also be illegal.
Old 21 January 2001, 12:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SimonH:
<B>I'd be interested to see how these could be banned. Under what law? Would it then make it illegal to own your own GPS with programmable waypoints ? I think not.
Sounds like a good unit to me - think I may invest....[/quote]

Go to
Old 21 January 2001, 11:28 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Simon, have you found a useable list of 'accident blackspot' sites - i've failed to find anything I could easily convert into an Autoroute overlay or download to a Garmin (or similar) device....

Today's trip from Swindon to Aylesbury has increased my interest in the Geodesy - there were always plenty of cameras on the A420 and in the Oxford area but I truly lost count. Plus many were effectively 'hidden' from view behind signs etc.

The guy I was following is on 9 points so drove _very_ carefully....
Old 22 January 2001, 08:28 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Is it not South Yorkshire Police who advertise all their speed cameras on the web... the message is we want people to slow down, if they have slowed down because they know there is a speed trap there we have succeeded.

They will have to fry my brain as well, it has detected two speed cameras in Tunbridge Wells.......maybe I can get points on my licence for being in possesion of a brain....

Dave
Old 24 January 2001, 01:41 PM
Phillip
Scooby Newbie

Im going to be selling the Morpheous unit for £310 if theres enough interest. Email me if you are.
Old 24 January 2001, 04:37 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Question

Please can someone help - I'm a little confused. Does this GPS unit show Gatso sites OR "Black Spot" sites. We all know these are not the same.
Old 24 January 2001, 07:19 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Nick, the GPS systems show ALL fixed camera locations, SPECS, Gatso, Truvelo etc etc ! and as these cameras are allegedly in accident black spots they show all of those as well

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 24 January 2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 07:28 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Are directional sites indicated i.e. is there an alert even if you are travelling towards a GATSO.

Brendan
Old 24 January 2001, 10:40 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good device. Don't see the legality as a problem - unlike a radar detector, GPS is a legitimate navigational aid so no matter how the government frame the law and the police interpret it, any half-competent lawyer will be able to get you off. If the government introduces this new law, then inputting the GPS waypoints will probably go underground but it will be impossible to prevent, and very difficult to detect, enforce, and prosecute. Looks like I might have to get one - it will be a relief to be rid of all those false alarms!
Old 24 January 2001, 11:36 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good device. Don't see the legality as a problem - unlike a radar detector, GPS is a legitimate navigational aid so no matter how the government frame the law and the police interpret it, any half-competent lawyer will be able to get you off. If the government introduces this new law, then inputting the GPS waypoints will probably go underground but it will be impossible to prevent, and very difficult to detect, enforce, and prosecute. Looks like I might have to get one - it will be a relief to be rid of all those false alarms!
Old 25 January 2001, 08:13 AM
Chez
Scooby Regular

I bought mine on Monday and so far it has not missed a thing. I changed from a radar detector and its nice not to have a bleeping flashing thing in you face when you go past infared doors!!
The Morpheus is a must as far as im concerned.

Old 25 January 2001, 10:34 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Well Im sold, end of the month I recon Ill have one of these.
Is the direct wiring a bit of a chore?
Also, will this detect the cameras that have just been set up on say a bridge? as I understood that it would need to be updated with this info, though I have been known to totally miss the point on more than one occassion.
The bridge thing: I meant, say Ive left home, have it switched on, and the police set up a camera during my journey, will it know about the new camera?

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 25 January 2001).]
Old 25 January 2001, 11:34 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm dead interested in this device, but have reservations buying a device which "could" be banned ...if they ban it would they keep updating the database for existing customers ??
I'm concerned because Boomer's point is a valid one, just read the stuff at the links he gave and it certainly does say they intend to ban "any" device that can warn of a camera's position ... be it a Garmin GPS or radar detector or the Morpheus thing ....
I know my cheap Garmin GPS unit can have pre-loaded waypoints of camera sites downloaded to it from a pc and I can add my own but how can they enforce the law when I can legally use it to find destinations in my car etc .... sounds like they really need start cracking down on drivers with no tax/insurance/MOT's IMHO

K
Old 25 January 2001, 11:54 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Kev, agreed, but banning it is one thing, enfourcing the ban is a different thing altogether.
A tax disk you can see in a windscreen, so what will they do about GPS systems the size of a deck of playing cards? stop every car and search it?
The majority of times you will get stopped, is for speeding, and with the device, you wont be speeding in these areas, so unless they do a car to car search, they'll never know.
With our dwindling police resources, I dont imagine constantly stopping and checking cars would be at the top of their agenda, or at least it shouldnt be.
The updates could be a prob, but they would probably find a way to update legally, a loophole, hopefully.
Old 25 January 2001, 03:54 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

IntegraR,

I have to agree with you, about stop/search etc, I had a radar detector for over 5 years and even when I was stopped they never noticed it as it was "hard wired" and nicely hidden, but I've never fitted it to the scoob as it's out of date/old hat etc ..... but the new GPS device now I am tempted with that ..... like you say ..... it's just the updates if it does get banned ....

K
Old 25 January 2001, 04:15 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

This looks like the puppies!

From
Old 25 January 2001, 06:12 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Got these answers from the manufacturers:

The GEODESY(tm) is 100% legal. The GEODESY(tm) does not detect
anything, using GPS it alerts users to accident blackspots waypoints
which is not against the law.
In 1995 the motivation used by the police to install fixed speed cameras
was based on the fact that speed camera's would be placed in accident
black spot areas only. To ban a device that alerts drivers of these
accident black spots would be to ban a safety device that, by the
government's own research, has proven to save lives. In fact the
GEODESY(tm) is succeeding where the police have failed, because with our
unit, people will definitely slow down up to a mile before these
identified accident black spots

The Government cannot ban GPS without seriously impacting the many
industries that reply on GPS technology, not least of which are the
military, airlines and navigation systems.

We have units in stock so if you wish to order your unit for delivery
tomorrow please call the sales line on 0870 2401701.

Thank you for your time and interest and we look forward to hearing from
you. While I have the opportunity I would like to remind you that the
GEODESY(tm) is more than a license saver; exciting developments will
take the unit into a new GPS realm in the next few months:
Product Update: The PC Interface is an optional extra for the
GEODESY(tm). There are going to be three variations of the PC
Interface. Desktop PC Interface: Available February 2001. Design and
customise settings and profiles for only £99.00. Navigational Interface:
SAT NAV capabilities available March 2001. State of the art in-car
navigation with all the functionality of the PC Interface by connecting
the GEODESY(tm) to your existing PDA i.e. Palm: £189.00 or £280
including Palm PDA. Mount the GEODESY(tm) anywhere with an External
Reradiating Antenna now available at £75.00. The GEODESY(tm) LCD & LCDc
available Summer 2001.
Old 25 January 2001, 06:13 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I can't remember if the Morpheus beeps or not, but if it does it would fit nicely in the oddments compartment on the top of the dash. The antenna should still receive even with the compartment lid closed.
Old 25 January 2001, 06:29 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Carl

Yes it does fit in the odments compartment and is held in place very well by the little catch there. You can still see the lights but it's VERY difficult to see them from outside. You'd have to peer right in. It has no problems getting a signal through the lid and with the *** lighter installs and de-installs in seconds.

Yes it does beep, although I had to turn mine up to maximum in order to hear it over the ICE. I've set mine to show warnings at 0.6th of a mile which gives me ages to slow down to avoid the blackspot.

Top gadget.

Quick Reply: Check this out if you want to avoid GATSO's