Sponsored by:

08 STI, Remap and SI-DRIVE?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2008, 09:08 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 STI, Remap and SI-DRIVE?

I've got an 08 STI and I'm in the process of trying to decide which route to go down, the new, safe and warranty friendly PPP add-on or a non-warrantied route that perhaps offers a bit more power and more choice for both the remap and exhaust.

I was wondering how the remaps affected the SI-DRIVE modes, does it only give you the extra performance in Sport # mode or is the map applied to all 3 modes but with certain percentages lowered as you move down the settings. The reason for asking, I'd like a more aggressive kit if it only affected Sport # (the 360 kit from Litchfields looks appealing) and be able to maintain the current economy on the other settings - or at the very least not have it lowering too much (sadly I got a lot of motorway driving to do with it).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 23 October 2008, 10:45 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Richard, the Si-Drive maps are changed as part of the remap and the main thing that will effect the fuel comsumption is your right foot and how much power you choose to use

The Si-Drive maps change the relationship between the throttle imput and the Torque demanded by the engine. Run the car in Intelligent mode and it'll demand less torque for a given throttle imput so it's easier to drive economically. Put it in Sport# and it will look to achieve the maximum torque for the same imput. There are other factors but thats basically how it works.

Hope this helps

Iain
Old 23 October 2008, 12:27 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I managed 28mpg yesterday on a motorway/A road trip all in S mode.

I'd not worry too much about the map reducing ecconomy, just your right toe...
Old 23 October 2008, 12:47 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

So long as I can keep something around 25mpg on a motorway run driving conservatively I'll be happy. What sort of additional interior noise is a cold air induction kit gonna give at cruising speeds? Never run one before.
Old 23 October 2008, 07:54 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Mmmm!

Lee
Old 23 October 2008, 08:24 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

stick to genuine stuff as subaru have issued flashes for the ecu's on certain vin's due to some ending up with piston damage, if you get a third party remap and you get called in to have the ecu reflashed it might knacker it
Old 23 October 2008, 08:27 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
stick to genuine stuff as subaru have issued flashes for the ecu's on certain vin's due to some ending up with piston damage, if you get a third party remap and you get called in to have the ecu reflashed it might knacker it
Where you hear this mate?

Lee
Old 23 October 2008, 09:59 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As has been said the Si-Drive maps can be altered independently etc, sorted and discussed with who maps it.

I am only aware of one whom has bought the 08 software (there maybe others though).. which is Paul at Zen Performance, at this current time with them all in warrentee still the market for mapping them is limited so I haven't purchased the 08 software yet.

As to the dealer reflashes.. the remap will resolve any issues of piston damage and therefore you don't need or want the reflashes.

Simon
Old 23 October 2008, 10:08 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks... not sure which way to go now, the piston issues I've read about on a US site concern me, I don't get the impression that the current motor is all that strong?? Maybe safety and the PPP is right, I don't knnow arrrggghhh.
Old 23 October 2008, 10:23 PM
kingofdbrits
Scooby Newbie

This is something i've been wondering too as if i had the engine mapped so 355bhp this will add strain to the engine but being able to switch to a 225bhp map when cruising on the motorway will, of course put less strain on the motor most of the time and give a bit more mpg.

I'd have thought that the engine must be a little stronger if Subaru are confident it can take the extra power but if there is a fault with the ignition or timing then any engine will fail.

Personally i'd want to keep the warranty so i'd say go the PPP route, at least until you're sure there are no problems.
Old 23 October 2008, 10:37 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Its just me being greedy, I'm sure the 330ps and improved lower down torque of the PPP kit will do just fine, so long as it sounds better as well. Maybe I'll get some suspension work done at the same time to give it a bit more feeling, was planning some arb upgrades at least and would like something to help steering feel.

Wanted to get the decision making done and dusted before I get it booked in for its 10K service which will maybe need doing late November... get it all done at once.
Old 23 October 2008, 11:21 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

from the local dealer they have done 4 so far apparantly they break the land around the piston rings so the reflash sorts it out
Old 24 October 2008, 12:33 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Litchfields seem to be doing a cracking job with the STi 08.........
Old 24 October 2008, 07:37 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
from the local dealer they have done 4 so far apparantly they break the land around the piston rings so the reflash sorts it out
Is this a call back or are there symptoms?

Lee
Old 25 October 2008, 12:10 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

don't know they check them when they get one in
Old 25 October 2008, 01:49 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

would really like an hatchback sti
Old 25 October 2008, 09:37 AM
codie247
Scooby Regular

has anyone had the 330 pack done yet? Would like to hear anyones opinion on this please. Not really after top line bhp, more after better power delivery, more like my old STi.

Cheers

Lee
Old 25 October 2008, 10:18 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Same here, also thoughts on the exhaust note 'cos I'm a bit of a tart like that and bothered about how good it sounds
Old 25 October 2008, 10:30 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Most mappers should base their upgrades on the latest revision to the Subaru ECU. Our 08 kit is based on the recent reflash to help protect the ringlands. However the change the Subaru made (reducing torque demand around the rev limit) is something we did previously anyway. It acts like a soft limiter reducing the chance of damage if bouncing off the limiter.

There is no difference in noise from our intake kit when cruising or under light boost but it has a nice subtle induction sound when under higher loads. We have a shield around the inner wing which keeps both engine heat away and noise from coming back
Old 25 October 2008, 10:56 AM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Mmm, choices. If i went for 1 of the Litchfield upgrades this comes with a warranty yes? I've had work done at Powerstation before and know how good they are so no worries there. Dont think mine will be in warranty anyway with the PPP so for the same outlay could get the stage 1 upgrade. Will see what happens, i think.
Old 25 October 2008, 12:55 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Iain mentions, if you're smart, then you've already tweaked the OE map on the 08 STI before the official subaru tweak was issued!