Advice on Clutch/Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2001, 03:31 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Grrrr...
My clutch is giving up the ghost after 20000 miles.....juddering bad in the morning & really hard to depress the pedal at times
However when I rang my dealer this morning to discuss getting it fixed he told me that the warranty doesnt cover the clutch!! even though my cars only 18 months old...
He also said that none of the other manufacturers warranties cover clutches either ..
He didnt tell me that when I bought the car though....Just a lot of B*llsh1t about Subarus fantastic 3 yr warranty etc..

Has anyone else had a similar experience as
I know a few of you have had your clutches replaced...
Whats the story regarding the warranty ???

Thanks
Niall
Ps Apologies if this is in the wrong forum !
But i was hoping for more replys

[This message has been edited by NAF (edited 24 January 2001).]
Old 24 January 2001, 04:15 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Niall

I've just had my clutch replaced on warranty on my RB5, only 18 months old, with an upgraded part. No more judder. Check out this thread
Old 24 January 2001, 04:20 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Naf

Quote from SIDC FAQ:

Certain "consumable" items, such as tyres, brakes, exhaust, clutch and items changed at specific services are not covered by this warranty, unless their failure was caused by manufacturing defects.

The clutch on my car was replaced at 16000 miles (car was less than year old). The reason for this then must be that there was a manufacturing defect. Don't know when 'manufacturing defect' becomes 'normal wear and tear' (although I would expect the clutch on any car to last more than 20K). Normally it is up to the dealer to submit the claim, so if he isn't being very helpful, is it worth going to another one? I don't know if there are any time / mileage limits that have been placed on the clutch replacement program by Subaru UK (I did hear a rumour of 12 months / 25K, but I wouldn't quote me on that).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cheers
Chris

Old 24 January 2001, 05:40 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Had same problem on my car. Clutch was replaced at 15 months with new clutch and modified flywheel. First dealer told me "Oh they all do that, it's because the car is so powerful". Decided on second opinion and had new clutch fitted week later. So dont give up, just keep on to your dealer or go elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Chip.
Old 24 January 2001, 05:51 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The clutch IS COVERED for judder. End of.

Make sure a modified flywheel is fitted at the same time. The only problem you may have is if the clutch is remove and it shows signs of abuse.

Call me if you need any help.

David
Old 24 January 2001, 06:04 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Guys
I have decided to contact Subaru Ireland as I am getting nowhere with my dealer
I've just seen on the post that Tim linked to, that another lad here in Ireland had a similar problem and seemed to get it sorted by contacting Subaru
Apparently they used some sort of special machine to line up the clutch
So gonna give that a try
once again thanks
Regards
Niall

ps ChrisL
Youre lot are going down tonight m8 !!!
C'mon The Pool !

[This message has been edited by NAF (edited 24 January 2001).]
Old 25 January 2001, 09:06 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Niall - with comments like we'll be friends for life I'm not talking about last night OK?

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 25 January 2001, 01:27 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same situation. The clutch judders (not often - dealer took it for a drive to check it out and didn't get it) especially first thing in the cold morning or after a "spirited" run. Spoke to my dealer after I had put the car in for some "lazy ar$e" stuff to be done (windscreen wipers, PIAA bulb change, squeaky stuff) about what could be done - I've done 55,000 miles so I can hardly be expecting a brand new clutch (any idea what the "average" lifetime of a scooby clutch is), but I wanted to make sure that if I do need a new clutch fitting at some point that the trouble wouldn't reoccurr by them fitting the revised flywheel - under warrenty, because that's a cause of the judder (according to subaru).
I'm still waiting to hear back from them because they have to put in a claim to IM to find out what to do. I'm getting another 2 years warrenty at 60K so it should all be covered under warrenty anyhow - I just don't want the hassle of judders when I don't need them.

cheers
Andy