Sponsored by:

STI Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2008, 07:48 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Spoilers

Just copied this link to see if I can get a wee bit more feedback. To those who have already replied, thanks very much.

https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36...ml#post8213339
Old 21 October 2008, 11:33 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

up
Old 22 October 2008, 09:24 AM
Jonlu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just fitted one to my sti7 JDM. It's a good build quality and the paint finish is good. I managed to jump in on a group buy so got it a little cheaper.

As for fitting, my bugeye had the original low-level sti spoiler which was easy to remove. I'm far from competent at installing car part but this spoiler was very easy to fit. It has 4 fitments that fits in to the original 4 holes where the low-level spoiler was (well it was 4 holes in my case). Around the under edges of the spoiler is sticky foam tape, probably about 2mm thick that helps stick the majority of the spoiler down to the boot lid.

Only problem I had was that I couldn't quite fit in the fourth screw as the bootlid hole was obscuring it by about 1.5mm. This was sorted by filing away what I needed....which wasn't much!

The break light is clear and illuminates red. You get quite a fair bit of wire length and you just need to join it to your existing boot-lid brake wire.

On the underside of the spoiler at the left and right are 4 holes (2 on each side) which I have no idea what purpose they serve. However, you're provided with 4 black rubber bungs to fill them in.

In all, It's one of the best cosmetic mods I've bought. Well made and packaged securely with lots of large bubble wrap.
Old 22 October 2008, 10:10 AM
leericho
Scooby Newbie

imho i would go for a real sti one, some of the copies are ok,but it really depends on how good the paint job on it is. had one on my last scoob and after a year the paint was startin to peel and that was painted by a reputable local company.
as for fitting it will be easier to buy a sti boot lid with the holes already drilled in it.

may be selling mine in a few months and may be looking for a swap of boot lid too, so drop me a pm and ya never know
Old 22 October 2008, 06:24 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leericho
may be selling mine in a few months and may be looking for a swap of boot lid too, so drop me a pm and ya never know
Thanks mate, I shall keep you in mind.

Jonlu - Good feedback, thanks. Is thats the one from DR's you're talking about?
Old 22 October 2008, 07:27 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonlu
I've just fitted one to my sti7 JDM. It's a good build quality and the paint finish is good. I managed to jump in on a group buy so got it a little cheaper.

As for fitting, my bugeye had the original low-level sti spoiler which was easy to remove. I'm far from competent at installing car part but this spoiler was very easy to fit. It has 4 fitments that fits in to the original 4 holes where the low-level spoiler was (well it was 4 holes in my case). Around the under edges of the spoiler is sticky foam tape, probably about 2mm thick that helps stick the majority of the spoiler down to the boot lid.

Only problem I had was that I couldn't quite fit in the fourth screw as the bootlid hole was obscuring it by about 1.5mm. This was sorted by filing away what I needed....which wasn't much!

The break light is clear and illuminates red. You get quite a fair bit of wire length and you just need to join it to your existing boot-lid brake wire.

On the underside of the spoiler at the left and right are 4 holes (2 on each side) which I have no idea what purpose they serve. However, you're provided with 4 black rubber bungs to fill them in.

In all, It's one of the best cosmetic mods I've bought. Well made and packaged securely with lots of large bubble wrap.
My mate got 1 from a DRM group buy earlier in the year also. I helped fit it, and it was exactly as said above.
The rubber plugs are for the holes that give access to the bolts that join the top and bottom halves of the spoiler. Leave the plugs in as you won't need to touch those.
Took about 1/2 an hour to fit and agree it totally transforms the car. Paintwork was also very good.
He did look at a genuine spoiler, but you really do need to buy the STi bootlid with it. There are an extra dozen or so holes that must be drilled. Get one wrong and you'll have a swimming pool in your boot.

I should add, I've bought a number of different parts from DRM now for both my Impreza's, and they've all come painted and well packaged.
Only complaint I've had was a lip spoiler took longer than expected to arrive as their paintshop was fully booked up for a few weeks with other orders.
Old 22 October 2008, 07:44 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Sounds very good, thanks. Is the spoiler Fibreglass or ABS? If fibreglass, any problems with cracking? Its important to get these things right otherwise it could spoil the whole look of the car.
Old 25 October 2008, 03:14 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 26 October 2008, 09:27 AM
CallumR
Scooby Newbie

I bought a genuine one from impreza breaker on ebay. It was really easy to fit and came painted in my colour already. I think he has another for sale in wr blue. I paid £350.
Old 26 October 2008, 12:09 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

A genuine one is really tempting, but just a bit affraid to go drilling holes in my boot lid.