Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life in a new WRX

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2002, 12:01 AM
J Bee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to hear from anyone who's bought the MY02 WRX and fitted the PPP - how's the car running? is it worth it? how is it everyday on the road? Does fitting the PPP make insurance companies go mental? i've already been quoted £2200 for the basic WRX!!! scary. I'm so sick of my Golf 1.8T even though it's only 5 months old...i'm looking to buy a new motor and am torn between a scooby and another audi / vw turbo derivative...but something gets me every time i see the new WRX.
Old 13 February 2002, 07:36 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Hi JBee, I'll answer you M8 !

Try a standard WRX for starters. If you are coming into the world of Subaru from a baggy Golf GTi 1.8T you WILL notice a tremendous difference in performance and handling especially.

Go for it, then when if it starts to feel underpowered as you get used to it, get it modded. Really depends how fast you want to go

Yorkie
Old 13 February 2002, 11:01 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

I can't comment on the PPP cos i don't have it. However i have run my WRX up to 9k miles now and it has got considerably quicker the more miles that have accumulated. Personally it is as quick a car as i need in a real life situation although others always crave more power. My advice would be to run a standard WRX plus obligatory exhaust and then decide if you want more power.
Old 13 February 2002, 11:10 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Agreed with Yorkie.

I've now had my (std) UK WRX wagon for 3 months, and covered just over 5000 miles.
I am now ready to PPP it.... but every journey is still a hoot!! I just want more in-gear grunt.....

Previous car was a Golf TDI 115 6-speed.
A lovely, lovely car (similar in-gear accel. to the 150 turbo petrol) but the difference in performance and wet weather ability is staggering.

Just get a standard one. You've got to have some mods to aspire to!!
Old 13 February 2002, 11:27 PM
G00n3r
Scooby Regular

I've racked up 8000 miles in 2 months in my MY01 WRX and just last week had the PPP fitted after waiting 2 months for it to become available (shortage of ECU's) and it does transform the car, makes it sound like a scooby should instead of a hairdryer, deffo worth doing, specially if you want to keep the warranty intact.

Then went to scoobysport, had it de-catted,up piped, down piped, filtered, morettes and next week I'm having the brakes, suspension and a scoobysport spoiler put on, then I gotta live like a hermit for a few months so I can pay off me credit cards

Btw, with my high mileage I think that ScoobySport should be donating these parts for extreme testing purposes
Old 14 February 2002, 12:06 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

my01 wrx with ppp . yep it is worth the extra .
for handling get eibach springs, get braded hoses as well makes a dif chaps ( o and fit a tgi filter as well does help).
looking to see if you can get a sport cat or the like, don't fancy the full scooby sport decat thing just in case road side tests are bought in.
steve
ps work for the DLTR
Old 14 February 2002, 09:09 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

G00n3r: why dont you get a DV to help sporty sound and performance? Especially if you like the sound.

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2002, 10:10 AM
Steve Norton
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I've just bought a 01WRX from a Jordan Civic, it's great. Can't see how you could possiblygo any faster and keep your licence! Really notice it on corners, etc. Only trouble so far is a wheel bearing has gone. Very efficiently replaced within a day, though.
Old 14 February 2002, 11:37 AM
BUDA
Scooby Regular

Hi.
try norwhich union through the AA
for the best insurance, my insurance was
only £1650 on a MY01 WRX UK300 with PPP.
PPP makes the car a lot more intresting
and yes you will have to watch a heavy foot,
the 18t golf will seem obsolete compared to
the power and handling of the WRX

BUDA

Old 14 February 2002, 02:54 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

The key on insurance is to marry someone who works at bank or insurance co. My missues works for NatWest - quote of £402 fully comp on a joint policy - me 28 - she 31 - thanks to staff discount. I put a lot of work into persuading her to agree to a M02 WRX but read on this board various horror stories about thiefs, fuel consumption and general running costs + a speeding ticket 3 weeks ago and I ordered a V5 Golf! What have I done? I'll get an Sti in a year or two....that's the only way to think....
Old 14 February 2002, 05:04 PM
G00n3r
Scooby Regular

FreeT, I was supposed to have one fitted when I was at ScoobySport having the other work done but they had run out of stock, gonna get it fitted next week along with the Leda/Brembros and spoiler, should make an awesome car then
Old 14 February 2002, 08:04 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nice :-)