Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention all scoobnetters with an EU Import

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 08:04 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fizz are you sure you took this up with IM. The validity of the warranty has nothing to do with IM, as people have mentioned the warranty is issued by Subaru Belgium who previously would not allow Prodrive Modifications to be made under warranty.

If your comments did come from IM then perhaps they do not know the change of heart by Subaru Belgium, remember this has not yet been finalised and so perhaps they have not been informed and are feeding you the same old line. However to me this sounds like dealer schpiel, if that's how you spell it. However judging from BT52b comments this old news

[Edited by boultsy - 2/2/2002 9:36:46 AM]
Old 01 February 2002, 03:25 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Back in November Nathan L sent an email to Subaru Benelux querrying the implications of having a PPP fitted to an EU import MY01+ WRX and he received a positive response in terms of them re-evaluating their warranty policy due to the increase in sales of RHD vehicles and new European guidelines. I decided to send an email to give Nathan's email a bit of support and received the following last night:

Dear Mr. Boulter,

First of all, I want to apologize for our late reaction to your mail dated 17th January. Due to the Brussels Motorshow 2002, that was held from 17th until 27th January, I did not have any opportunity to reply.

Regarding your question, I have to announce you that Subaru Benelux will introduce the Prodrive Performance Pack shortly. The general rule will be that if the customer follows the procedure we are proposing, the warranty would not be affected.

To have a more detailed overview of what the procedure will be, I have to ask you to be some more patient; our quality department will complete their investigation soon.

I hope this answer is sufficient to fulfill your demand.

Regards

After Sales Department
SUBARU BELGIUM
Although this comes from Subaru Belgium I have a feeling that they also supply the cars supplied through Holland and so this may also be true for people who have imported from Holland, but DON'T quote me on that. Theo might have a view on this. Anyway we still don't have all the details, hopefully the procedure they are proposing will only be that it is fitted by an authorised Subaru Dealer. Price....well who knows but maybe everyone will start ordering their PPP from Belgium and save £'s there aswell but I'm not bothered about that, the fact that we have equal rights is enough for me. Power to the imports.

Watch this space I'll let you know as soon as they supply more details.

Another reason why to buy from Belgium and another reason why not to pay inflated prices UK prices. 1 down 1 to go just got to sort out the resales values. Bring on Post-September and the lifting of block exemption.
Old 01 February 2002, 03:39 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dealer told me last weekend that Belgian cars will definitely keep their warranty with the PPP.
Just a shame I didn't like the PPP...
Old 01 February 2002, 03:41 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Just a bit of general info: Subaru Holland & Belgium used to have 2 seperate HQ's, but they now joined offices (and stock etc) in Vilvoorde (Brussels). Hence the mail coming from Belgium.

The move was done in the last 2 months.

HTH,

Theo
Old 01 February 2002, 03:57 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the post - where would we be without the Scoobynet and the ability to swap info. like this?

Now to hijack the thread slightly....

Do EU imports need the body service? I've read my service book and can't see it in there. I suspect we do, but maybe not. If so this would be another good reason for buying an import.
Old 01 February 2002, 03:58 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Regarding Block Excemption, I was under the impression that as Subaru do not have a European manufacturing base then they are not part of the excemption and nothing will change with them in September. Please feel free to correct me.
Old 01 February 2002, 04:05 PM
m1cassels
Scooby Regular

Any of you fellow importers had problems getting a subaru main dealer to service your car?
Old 01 February 2002, 04:16 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Picking my import up in March. Any ideas what the scenario is with servicing intervals??

Do we go on the new intervals & do we get a new service manual??

Old 01 February 2002, 04:23 PM
m1cassels
Scooby Regular

BL,

I have just bought a WRX, but didn't import it myself. One dealer has refused outright to service my car, the other in the area agreed but only after persuasion and at risk of Subaru UK finding out.

Not sure about the intervals - would be keen to find out....?
Old 01 February 2002, 05:24 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this matter. I have brought this post up with IM and they say that even it it was true then in the UK the warrenty WILL NOT BE VALID if a PPP is fitted!!!!!!
Old 01 February 2002, 05:37 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

boultsy,

Good news indeed if it wasn't for Fizz's post....sounds like IM doesn't it??? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The legal implications of IM's statement (if correct) is interesting - I suspect that the EU Commission would be interested to hear about that......(as they're quite hot on anti-competetive EU practices at the moment (just ask Volvo ))

BTW, get your flame suit on and brace yourself for all the "serves you right for buying an import" and "serves you right for not supporting British business" type posts....

Matt
Old 01 February 2002, 05:53 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

But it ain't IM's warranty. That comes from the country of purchase, which in EU, IM are obliged to honour.....or am I missing something
(MY00 Belgian PPP, " You do realise sir that your warranty may be void as far as Subaru Belgium is concerned")
Old 01 February 2002, 06:25 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Joni, that is correct, it is Subaru Belgium/Holland that "owns" the warranty.

And even if not... I'm indeed sure the EC would have something to say about all this.
Old 02 February 2002, 09:38 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

FYI
Old 02 February 2002, 10:54 AM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They basically said that if it went bang then my uk dealer will not undertake the work under warrenty. I would have to take it back to belgium and then because belgium does not warrenty these then I am buggered. If the ECU went bang too then IM or prodrive would not replace it! I have had long conversations about this with my dealer and IM won't budge. Basically anything that goes wrong with my engine when I have a PPP fitted will not be touched in this country!!
Old 03 February 2002, 11:31 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Fizz mate your missing the point of this post, I understand what your saying and have been told the same by my dealer. "We'll fit it for you but Subaru Belgium will not cover the car not only if it goes pop but possibly anything else, suspension, gearbox etc because I have fitted it".

BUT, Subaru Belgium have a new directive where by they are now saying that if you fit a PPP under the specified conditions then they will allow it to be fitted at no detrement to the warranty.

This is FACT, it doesn't matter what IM or your dealer say. When, sorry, IF you need to make a warranty claim on a Belgium import you obviously go to your dealer to get it sorted, however, unlike a UK car they will then contact Subaru Belgium to determine whether they will cover the fault under warranty. If it is a valid claim then they will instruct the dealer to carry out the work and bill them for it. From memory that is my understanding of how it works, Shark or anyone else perhaps you could correct/fill in the gaps.

I assume they have been in negotiations with Prodrive or perhaps IM, in order to examine the extensive test results and stress levels put on the car by the PPP in order for their qaulity department to make this decision, can anyone from Prodrive confirm this??

I don't mean to dis. any dealer but a dealers word is not gospel.

When I was at my local dealer asking about servicing, as soon as I mentioned it was an EU import, rather than tell me about prices, the quality of their workshop etc etc, both salesmen put their IM anti-import heads on and started telling me about the downsides of buying such a car. I get a diiferent story everytime I go there. This time it was how I couldn't get the PPP fitted, sorry did I mention a PPP, NO. Anyway thought I'd ammuse them and ask them why, "Well because it's not a UK car it's not possible to order one". Oh said I, I thought you could have one fitted but it would invalidate the Belgium warranty. "No" they said, "because it doesn't have a UK VIN number there is no way of putting an order request into Prodrive on the computer". At which point I smiled and left. Took the car a few miles UP the road to another dealer, who's 1000 miler was about a tenner cheaper and correctly (at the time) informed me that they would be more than welcome to fit a PPP but it would invalidate my Belgium warranty. They welcomed me with open arms so to speak and were only to glad to have my business.

Another time before I bought the car, I was thinking long and hard about UK or IMPORT, trying to justify spending another 6k on the same car. The salesman this visit starts telling some innocent punter how he'll have trouble getting an EU import serviced because the electrics are different. I just got sick of this and thought sod it, British or not I'm not giving these bull5hitters my money.

Obviously i didn't need much persuation with 6k being the difference but it's little things like this that get my goat. I even gave them the benifit of the doubt and went back for servicing but they did it again.

WAKE UP, if impreza sales are falling it's nowt to do with the new Bugged out design, (for every 10 people who don't like the new design they'll be 10 new ones who do) it's to do with numpties like this. sunday rant off.

[Edited by boultsy - 2/3/2002 11:38:09 AM]
Old 03 February 2002, 11:48 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well said Boultsy.

I had exactly the same bull****, so now take my car twenty miles further for the servicing and maintainence. At least I am welcome at that dealer.

Nathan..
Old 03 February 2002, 12:08 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Yep I've been there with an unco-operative dealer, I had a problem with the seat material thinning, I informed them at the 6 monthly service but thought I would live with it. Then I decided F*** it it's not right lets get it sorted so went to see dealer again, car is now 11 months old. They took photos and sent them to IM, IM came back and said I would need to deal directly with Belgium due to the car being almost a year old and almost out of warranty. The dealer was most unhelpful and now do not get my business and never will. The seat is still not sorted, I pray nothing important will go wrong as all I can see is hassle.
Old 03 February 2002, 09:46 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Question

Glen4
I thought Belgian cars had a 3 yr warranty, whilst Holland gave only 1 yr
Old 04 February 2002, 12:37 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Blue

I.M only honour the first year of the warranty which is pan-European and is offered on all new cars. The second and third years are offered by the country selling the car. Thus if you have a problem with your car then you will need to claim from the country supplying. Problem is, it could be like getting blood from a stone
Old 04 February 2002, 07:53 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Nathan
yeah, dead right, but in my experience it seems that IM don't want to cover the first year warranty either, or maybe it's just the dealer being a tw@t.
Old 04 February 2002, 08:59 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

As the owner of a recent import, I follow these sorts of threads with a lot of interest. It seems to me that IM are playing the game to the full to deter people from buying imports. To a point I can see why, since IM must make a large proportion of their profits from Imprezas. (By my calcualtions nearly 50% of all IM sales i.e including Kia and Isuzu, must be Imprezas).

I'd like to know which are the dealers are friendly towards imports and which are not. That way we can use some of our collective power to combat some of this anti import mentality. Maybe this board isn't the place to do it? Any other ideas?

It wasn't like this like this with my imported Ford!
Old 04 February 2002, 09:01 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Just a small info again (this has been posted before, but maybe for those who missed it).

If you have a EU sourced car, and bought it after July 2001, the warranty will be extended to 2 full years (EU regulations). Maybe check with the dealer of origin (or Subaru Holland/Belgium) to see how this affects you.

Theo
Old 05 February 2002, 02:54 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Higel H - Body serive; As far as I'm aware it's not a requirement but perhaps something to consider.

sillysi - Block exemption; I was under the impression that it was IM not Fuji Heavy Industries that takes advantage of the block exemption rule and will therefore be effected by any change.

BL - Service intervals; The feedback from scoobynetters seems to imply that servicing for euro imports has/will also change. Not sure what's going to happen about service manuals, will try and find out.

Old 11 February 2002, 03:30 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Imports from Suabru Benelux have a three year 60'000 mile warranty. If THEY fit the PPP and you keep to their service schedule (which is currently different from that in the UK) then your warranty will be unafected.

Claims are handled in the same way as any other fault on your WRX. Contact Subaru Benelux who will then authorise the work to be carried out, go to a UK dealer, pay them and then claim it back from Benelux.
Old 11 February 2002, 05:08 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bearing in mind that whilst IM are difficult when dealing with the EU imports, they are also not up to the level of the rest of the industry (IMHO ) with regards to UK cars either.

I know so many people who have UK cars that have had to argue 'till they're blue in the face to get IM to honour their UK warranty so I don't think us EU importers are actually that much worse off.

I'm glad my 1 year is up so that I never had to deal with IM. If my 3rd party warranty company ever have to be used, I'll be surprised if they'll be any worse than IM are [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Matt
Old 11 February 2002, 05:22 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Nick (Wadeson),

Thanks for the post - it's nice to see somebody from Prodrive/IM replying to this stuff.

You post has confirmed what I thought to be the case,

1. That you need to get the mod done by a Belelux dealer
2. That EU imports still have a 7 500 mile service interval
3. That warranty claims have an element of DIY about them!

Ta
Old 11 February 2002, 06:43 PM
Bludax
Scooby Regular

I recently e-mailed the Dutch dealer through whom my new WRX was supplied, asking for confirmation that the 1 year pan-european warranty was now 3 years, and the service interval 10,000m.
The reply was: Your car also has the 3 years warranty, but is warranty from Holland, and Subaru Holland say that the service must be every 12500km or 7500m. Please keep to that.
So, same car but different service intervals.

Erik
Old 11 February 2002, 08:59 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

That is for the moment, however i'm sure its only a matter of time before they change their minds like uk subaru.
Old 11 February 2002, 09:01 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Agreed FreeT - similar market pressures....

Quick Reply: Attention all scoobnetters with an EU Import