Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member (switching to the dark side :O)

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2008, 09:22 AM
Dee-vub
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member (switching to the dark side :O)

Well hello there people! new member here

Will give myself a bit of an intro.....im Phil, 21 years old from sunny aberdeen in scotland and pretty much been into my dubs and the euro scene since i started driving! First off i had and still actually have a Polo GTI. Loads of work on it, just got bored eventually! still on my driveway though after like over a year of owning my current car

Current car is a Corrado VR6, which i had supercharged....but could never get the bloody thing running right so i got rid of the charger Was sick of chucking money at it to figure out what was wrong! Love this car and the V6 note is unbleievable! But the scooby pull is getting to me!!

Well like i said, the scooby pull is starting to get to me and iv wanted one since i was a little whipper snapper! I'm after a classic style scoob, not bothered whether its limited edition(Type R eg) but ideally want it looking tidy cosmetically and on the good side of 300bhp! Looking to keep the cost to £6000-£6500(or lower preferably)....defintely no higher cos i have insurance to think about Also not sure whether to go for fresh import, jap spec, brit spec, should it have had an engine rebuild or safe with a genuine SH? Obviously vVERY new to the jap scene so as much info from you boys would be massively appreciated to point me in the right direction of my first scoob

Last edited by Dee-vub; 21 October 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:41 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

The darkside? I'm sure you can get a decent Evo in todays climate. The guys on Mitsubishi Lancer Register are a decent bunch and will be able to advise you better. Good luck.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:58 AM
Dee-vub
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
The darkside? I'm sure you can get a decent Evo in todays climate. The guys on Mitsubishi Lancer Register are a decent bunch and will be able to advise you better. Good luck.
Yeh yeh.... the dark side compared to what iv been used to anyways

Scoob it is for me im afraid
Old 21 October 2008, 10:05 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

For the sort of money you have available, you will certainly be able to pick up a tidy looking classic that has had most of the common mods completed already (thus saving you from forking out).

With todays market, it seems the imprezas are going pretty cheap for what you get. You can certainly afford to look around and take your pick, just depends on how far you want to travel I guess.

You probably are already, but search this website for all your answers, use the google search with the 'search scoobynet' ticked for a broader outlook on things. I spent a couple of months reading up on all forums for things to look out for before buying.

Good luck in your search
Old 21 October 2008, 10:06 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you managed to find any insurance quotes yet?
Old 21 October 2008, 10:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to decide what you want.

4 door or 2 door. 2 door stands out more than 4. Personally I'm more interested in whats underneath than whats on top

WRX and UK turbo are pretty much similar. WRX have slightly more toys but nothing really worth the extra £££ insurance. And nothing most UK turbos haven't already got.

STI is JDM only and better all round but more likely to pop. Not all but some will have been rebuilt but if its been mapped properly its likely to last a bit longer.

Other LTD variants - STI RA and STI Type R have DCCD. WRX RA is lightweight but with WRX engine and no DCCD. The variants usually have shorter ratios so a bit of a bugger for daily use.

Personally, with 6K you can get a pretty good V5/6 Type R.

Having said all that at 21 insurance will probably rape you on JDM if you get a quote at all. UKers are 17 and you may get insurance.

Last edited by EddScott; 21 October 2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 21 October 2008, 10:14 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Fit like loon not a corrado fan but that will be cos I just sold a golf VR6
If your from Aberdeen you should check out
AberdeenScoobies.co.uk • Index page

you should also check out
www.scottishscoobies.co.uk

I work offshore out of Aberdeen although I live near Dundee.

U will get yourself a nice classic for that. It depends what you want it for?
Is it an everyday car?
How many miles do you do a year?
Have you checked insurance yet? Im only 25 and im 500ish with a few mods
on a 99 RB5
Old 21 October 2008, 10:55 AM
Dee-vub
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the warm welcome folks! appreciate all the help

Insurance wise, yes may take countless nights of finding the right price, i know its not much to guage on, but i got a quick internet quote from admiral and £1430 for the year for an STI Type R....so pretty chuffed with that! If i can keep insurance around the 1500 mark id be happy with that....im 1150 for the rado vr6 and thats group 18.

But to be honest i really am not sure.....i'm just having a broad overview of the classics at the moment, but i'm preferably on the lookout for a later version STI, Type R/RA to be honest. Would like it to be slightly tweaked and to cosmetically look the part. Save me spending any serious money tbh.

With regards to dela driving, well i work offshore so means when im out here the car wont be getting driven, so im not really worried about the running costs tbh. Daily driving iv heard with type r's can be a bit frustrating iv heard tough due to the ratios.

Cheers for that Ciaran, i'll get on with signing up
Old 23 October 2008, 11:03 PM
webster444
Scooby Regular

fit like bert, finally decided to forget about chargin the rado! thot i better stick ma nose in lol! is that the boy fae westhills g40 beside ur thing?

Last edited by webster444; 23 October 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 23 October 2008, 11:06 PM
Dee-vub
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by webster444
fit like bert, finally decided to forget about chargin the rado! thot i better stick ma nose in lol!
Yeh gutted like cos a staged 2 charged VR woulda been pretty nuts! But was sick of figuring out why it wasnt running right etc!

Scoob all the way for me like now! wanted one since i was wee
Old 23 October 2008, 11:08 PM
webster444
Scooby Regular

same here! never thot id get one before u tho!
Old 24 October 2008, 09:02 AM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

Classic shape DCCD cars came without ABS.
All JDM probably have short gearing (atleast the R/RAs).
RAs came with all kinds of equipment, I think most with STi engine/parts, some with A/C and electric windows and stuff (yes!).
Good luck!!