Sponsored by:

Help required over waranty Scrobble!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2001, 05:37 PM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well as some of you already know JimJam(my scoob)has been off the road and has been diagnosed to have piston slap, not a problem as I have a warranty, or so I thought.......

Warranty is with a third party(I will not name them yet!!!!)which was included when I brought the car, Now this company will not pay to have the car repaired because get this...........Replacing the piston(the latest Subaru cure for piston slap.....will probably be p38 soon!!!!!!)is considered a modification!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so will not pay out.

Any advice as what to do next would really be appreciated as I have no experience of this sort of thing.....

On the plus side I will now be able to go to Oulton as JimJam will not be at the garage having a makeover.....Complete with STi/K&N induction kit fitted, which is sat in the lounge waiting to go on.

Mark
Old 24 January 2001, 05:40 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Oh Go On Mark.... Which warranty Company is refusing to pay out now?

Russ
Old 24 January 2001, 05:47 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Surely this is a 'direct replacement part due to bad design of original component' , set a solicitor onto them.. that should do it.. or get Subaru UK to explain it to them in small words...

rgds, Alex
Old 24 January 2001, 05:50 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

PS Write to the Ombudsman for (insurers?)warranties managment..
Old 24 January 2001, 05:59 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Suggest you contact Subaru, and get them to confirm in writing that this is THE recommended "repair" and not a modification.

If poss get this supported by the local garage, then forward to underwriters with a v. strongly worded letter. To which you may choose to add that there is a possibility continued use in this condition could result in major mechanical failure and considerably increased cost to them.

If they refuse to move you may have to threaten Independent Engineers inspection and
instruction of the family solicitor.

No personal experience, just the way I'd go.

Good Luck
B
Old 24 January 2001, 08:33 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I get to deal with quite a few 3rd party warranty companies though its usually "we don't pay diagnosis" or "we don't pay that labour rate". As this seems to be subaru's recommended fix I'd go along with Banshi. Also find out if the old pistons are still avaliable or if they have been superceeded to a new 'improved' part number, may just sway the argument.
Old 24 January 2001, 08:54 PM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hey thanx guys, was a bit wound up at the time and wrote very quickly, apologies about the spelling..

This is bl**dy annoying, The warranty was given by a Subaru dealer on a second hand(sorry pre enjoyed!!!! car) I will be contacting them tomorrow to inform them that the company they are using doesn't acknowledge their approved repairs and see what the outcome is...

I then thought aaahhhh block has worn get em to replace that (short motor cool )but no Subaru don't do this any more.....but I bet the warranty company would have paid for it................aaarrrggghhhh.

Thanx guys, keep it coming.

Mark
Old 24 January 2001, 09:26 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Diggy if the warranty was from a subaru dealer surely they know the latest recomendations to cure a problem. I assume the car is to be repaired at the selling dealer?? If so how long have you had the car? The No1 in customer satisfaction should have service advisers who can sort problems. Oh and remember replacing the piston now means they aren't paying for a block in a few months (or do they hope the warranty will have expired by then?).
Old 25 January 2001, 08:06 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

I was just going to post a very similar subject before I read this.
my question is about getting piston slap sorted after a warranty has run out, is there a cure / fix for it that doesn't involve a whole new engine? ie: new piston etc, etc ? and are there any non IM dealers who could do this on an import.
I ask as I've a warranty that is about to run out and if piston slap develops in the future can I get it sorted.

Phill
Old 25 January 2001, 09:04 AM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Phil,

The current repair is to replace the piston, This still costs £1500 approx at a main dealers, I am sure that Pete C and the boys at Scoobysport can sort you out at a far more reasonable cost (amongst others i guess). I am only at a dealer as it SHOULD be covered under warranty.

Contact has been made with the dealer who sold me the car, they say they will get it sorted, we shall see watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark