Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec-C at Rockingham. Needs improving.

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2008, 09:49 AM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec-C at Rockingham. Needs improving.

It's an '06 and first time I have taken it on track to see how it compares with the Exige.

Speed is stunning. Our car has about 380bhp and pulled a good 15 mph over the Exige down the main straight. But at the end? Well the Exige has big AP grooved disks with Pagid RS15 pads. The Scoob has whatever it came with. And it can't cope.

First thing. It boiled its brake fluid when a session was red-flagged and I was unable to do a cooling lap. Any brake fluid recommendations? I suspect I will be after Pagid pads. Anyone have suggestions. RS15s in the Exige are great.

At the end of the straight it was doing well over 120 into a headwind. The scoop looked like it was trying to lift the bonnet up! Was a bit worrying. Am I worrying unnecessarily or have people had it fly up?

It turns incredibly well with a bit of power when the diffs twist the car round, but turning whilst coasting off the banking into a chicane resulted in a bit of scary understeer and tyre squeal. Any suggestions? It was fine everywhere else.

Was a great day. 911 GT3s were easy prey!
Old 20 October 2008, 10:22 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a look at Performance Friction pads - really good. If you want to uprade discs aswell then the PF discs are awesome.

Braided hoses (goodridge) and Motul RBF600 or Millers brake fluid are both good and cope with track action easily.

Some good geometry set up will reward you with turn in - the best pennies you could spend on the car IMO.
Old 20 October 2008, 10:41 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I have the performance friction set up on mine as well, also braided hoses and good fluid, have never been on the track yet but the stopping is unbeleivable

Only downside is that their is a lot of brake dust with the carbon pads, but i am sure they do a track specific pad which is a lot better.

Mac
Old 20 October 2008, 10:52 AM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

White wheels are a disaster with ANY pad so I'm not too bothered about the dust, but from what I can gather Pagids will last longer.
Old 20 October 2008, 10:55 AM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

On the Group N rally car (based on the 07 Spec C) we use DS3000 pads and Castrol SRF fluid as recommended by Prodrive in the otherwise standard system. Works very well but it does wear the disks out - it's usually disks and pads changed together.
Old 20 October 2008, 11:14 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_BT52
White wheels are a disaster with ANY pad so I'm not too bothered about the dust, but from what I can gather Pagids will last longer.
My PF pads lasted 20,000 miles including around 6 track days and 3 ring trips.
Old 20 October 2008, 12:09 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Remember the Subaru is a heavier car so what works on the Exige might not work on the Scooby, i don't have them but i have heard nothing but praise for the PF pads & disc setup
Old 20 October 2008, 12:22 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
My PF pads lasted 20,000 miles including around 6 track days and 3 ring trips.

You don't drive it hard enough then

I use ds2500s, very good but dusty as hell, not for the **** polishers among you!
Old 20 October 2008, 12:39 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, may i ask and what mods you have to get your 380bhp??

So overall you,re really pleased with how the car goes,handles, just a brake issue really.

I,ve just bought my 06 Spec C and have to say it,s the best car i,ve owned, but i,m with you on the brakes, after having AP 6pots on my Evo the Brembos seem to do not such a good job, yes they,re ok, but i find breaking from higher speeds is where they,re not great etc..
Old 20 October 2008, 01:49 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

My Pagids Blacks lasted under 5km and 2 Trackdays and simulary boilt the Brake fluid a lot of "grease" in the resevoir.

I've tried EBC Reds, EBC Yellows, DS2500 and Pagid Blacks on my STD brembo's set up. All the pads have there good and bad points and unless your prepared to run a "Trackday" setup and a "Road" setup it's hard to get the right compromise.

TBH from recomendations on trackdays I will either get Peformance Friction Pads and Disks or CarboTech Pads. Money no object then a AP setup

IMHO with the heat genrated by the P/F Brakes, Carbotech or DS3000 pads etc it is essential that a good fluid is used and preferably S/S brake lines.(I also changed the clutch fluid at same time)

Tony
Old 20 October 2008, 01:50 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

Yep you have the other Toshi Arai one don't you.

Richard Bulmer remapped with Hydra ECU after full decatted exhaust change and other bits. They reckoned it would easily make 360 to 380, but on the rolling road it gave 380. It's a great mapping. No lag at all, lovely smooth delivery and insane top end scream. Revs so fast. Oh and big flames from the exhaust.

If the Evo IX FQ at Rockingham was supposed to have 406bhp then some of them must have escaped because the Scoob was massively faster.

I'm not going to bother with bigger calipers, they are plenty big enough that I can't see that being necessary. I'm sure that better pads/disks/hoses will do the job.

I was surprised at the body roll. It feels SO firm on road, but was quite soft on track. Might be looking at Litchfield's AST set up later in order to improve it on track and give us some comfort on road.
Apart from the roll and lack of front end bite turning off the banking it was amazing. The way it accelerates out from an apex is just incredible.

Shame the roof vent is noisy at 120mph.
Old 20 October 2008, 01:53 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
My Pagids Blacks lasted under 5km and 2 Trackdays and simulary boilt the Brake fluid a lot of "grease" in the resevoir.

I've tried EBC Reds, EBC Yellows, DS2500 and Pagid Blacks on my STD brembo's set up. All the pads have there good and bad points and unless your prepared to run a "Trackday" setup and a "Road" setup it's hard to get the right compromise.

TBH from recomendations on trackdays I will either get Peformance Friction Pads and Disks or CarboTech Pads. Money no object then a AP setup

IMHO with the heat genrated by the P/F Brakes, Carbotech or DS3000 pads etc it is essential that a good fluid is used and preferably S/S brake lines.(I also changed the clutch fluid at same time)

Tony
Have AP disks on the Exige. They were not cheap...
I'll get braided hoses, good fluid and decent pads first and see how the disks cope.
Old 20 October 2008, 01:56 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

That,s great power if it,s still on the original turbo too with just a de-cat..bet it,s a great road car too with that power/torque..

Evo 9 is considerably hwavier too remember though Mark..
Old 20 October 2008, 02:06 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

As a road car it makes the Exige look silly (except for the ride, where the Exige is much much better).

Now I have a GTR on order I wanted to try the Spec-C and Exige together to see if the Exige could justify itself. To be fair, I think it did. At the end of the day the Scoob still feels a bit of a barge with zero steering feel and the Lotus is a much purer driving experience. I have no doubt that the Spec-C is faster round the track, but not necessarily better to drive.

Tell you what though. Both of them were massively more fun than the GTR was at Silverstone...
Old 20 October 2008, 02:48 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I was surprised at the body roll. It feels SO firm on road, but was quite soft on track. Might be looking at Litchfield's AST set up later in order to improve it on track and give us some comfort on road.
Cetainly improved my track handling and comfort over STD Jap suspension.

Handling, comfort and coilovers are nearly always a compromise especially on the rears of scoobs the latest T25 setup was much better than mine. IIRC they also do a Tapered rear spring using the original top mounts and different jetting on.

It might be worth speaking to Curtis @ Powerstation and he can tailor make a setup to suit your needs

Tony
Old 20 October 2008, 03:06 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

Before getting the Spec-C I tried a black 400bhp STi with the AST setup and thought it was fantastic. So comfortable on 'soft' that I nearly fell asleep in the back on the test drive, yet presumably firmer on 'firm'.

(I also tried a white Spec-C with a Tein onboard adjustable setup which seemed to only vary between extremely hard and unbelievably hard....)
Old 20 October 2008, 04:05 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Richard Bulmer remapped with Hydra ECU after full decatted exhaust change and other bits. They reckoned it would easily make 360 to 380, but on the rolling road it gave 380. It's a great mapping. No lag at all, lovely smooth delivery and insane top end scream. Revs so fast. Oh and big flames from the exhaust.

If the Evo IX FQ at Rockingham was supposed to have 406bhp then some of them must have escaped because the Scoob was massively faster.
Somebody else with a Hydra worked by Mr Bulmer I see. Ask him about quite a fast Spec C on Hydra he is currently mapping. It may make you ditch the Exige.

@ the EVO comment. Don't worry, they do use some strange way of calculating flywheel figures.

As regards to the bonnet..... don't worry about it. I have been a tad faster than you and mine has never flipped the bonnet.

If you are bothered about body roll, get the front and rear ARB's changed and also get an anti-lift kit fitted. Obviously well suited suspension will also help. I have the three way competition struts fitted to mine. Discuss your requirements with PowerStation and ask for user feedback from Litchfield Imports.

Have fun!
Old 20 October 2008, 04:24 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Ask him about quite a fast Spec C on Hydra he is currently mapping. It may make you ditch the Exige.
I don't need any more power. It's enough of a monster already. I was little worried on Saturday when I was only able to gently pull away from a mere E-class Merc , until he pulled alongside and I saw the E55 AMG badge... I swear it is faster than my old Tuscan.

Besides, the Lotus guys will be quick to point at the Audi converted Exiges with power approaching 400bhp

Actually I think the lack of harnesses may have made it feel like it was rolling more than it actually was. Any way of fitting harnesses without messing up the rear? Still need a couple of child seats to go there.
Old 20 October 2008, 04:28 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yes... harnesses are no problem. Mount off existing points used for rear and front seatbelts. You can still have the standard belts fitted, as eye'd bolts will replace the existing bolts.
Old 20 October 2008, 05:12 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

BaT pics here for anyone who is interested.
My BaT Pics - BookaTrack.com
Old 20 October 2008, 05:15 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

So Mark, you never answered my question..

Are you still on the factory turbo???

I,m only asking cus the Spec C is new to me also and i,ve read on here the standard turbo will die @ 370-380..

Probably hear-say, i don,t know....
Old 20 October 2008, 05:25 PM
Mark_BT52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffi
So Mark, you never answered my question..

Are you still on the factory turbo???

I,m only asking cus the Spec C is new to me also and i,ve read on here the standard turbo will die @ 370-380..

Probably hear-say, i don,t know....
I think so, but all the work was done before I got it and paperwork was not the previous owner's forte, so who knows... I assumed it was, but never really wondered.
I had to phone up all the people who had worked on the car that I could find to confirm what they had done. Who fitted the exhaust, who did the mapping etc, who did the RR tests etc...

So I'm not sure. But it hasn't died yet . I know the cat-fitted white Spec-C at Castle earlier this year had over 350bhp on the standard turbo though, and I know that the one we bought is noticeably faster, (otherwise we wouldn't have bought it...)
Old 20 October 2008, 05:32 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

I think so, but all the work was done before I got it and paperwork was not the previous owner's forte, so who knows... I assumed it was, but never really wondered.
I had to phone up all the people who had worked on the car that I could find to confirm what they had done. Who fitted the exhaust, who did the mapping etc, who did the RR tests etc...

So I'm not sure. But it hasn't died yet . I know the cat-fitted white Spec-C at Castle earlier this year had over 350bhp on the standard turbo though, and I know that the one we bought is noticeably faster, (otherwise we wouldn't have bought it...)

Fantastic mate, that,s good going too 350 with the cat still on..

Mine is being mapped very soon too, looking forward to feeling how it responds, not really fussed about RR NUMBERS, just a nice quick, drivable car...

May take Shauns advice and change the ARB`s etc, but map is first on my list..
Old 20 October 2008, 06:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Think that people said 380bhp is max for running with original turbo & to get more power it should be changed ...

TX.

Originally Posted by staffi
Old 20 October 2008, 11:11 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

There is no way they can get 380bhp on the original turbo, more like 350-360bhp max
Old 21 October 2008, 04:50 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobytyson
There is no way they can get 380bhp on the original turbo, more like 350-360bhp max

Rob,

I thought it,d be struggling myself too mate @ 380..
Old 21 October 2008, 07:46 AM
evo north
Scooby Regular

No a chance on earth you can get 380bhp out of those diesel turbos
Going past an evo 9 at 400bhp is not right either,,
The spec c turbo;s are not the best past 6000rpm,,
I agree the brakes on both cars are shocking,
I boil the fluid after 5 good hits, with pf discs,
Just bought some of those k sport brake kits
Old 21 October 2008, 08:03 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobytyson
Yes they can.....

Check about 5th one down - all on a standard turbo.

.:: i-Gallery 4.1 - Photo Viewer ::.

Last edited by The Chief; 21 October 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:29 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynamix
Have a look at Performance Friction pads - really good. If you want to uprade discs aswell then the PF discs are awesome.

Braided hoses (goodridge) and Motul RBF600 or Millers brake fluid are both good and cope with track action easily.

Some good geometry set up will reward you with turn in - the best pennies you could spend on the car IMO.
Agree once again!!

Performance friction excellent choice & Motul RBF600 never boils for me on all cars Iv used on track.

As Shaun has already said Litchfields/Powerstation do loads of suspension options, all tried & tested by experts.

I suppose with the exige caosting into a chicane with no braking is quite easliy dealt with by the exiges chasis & great natural handling capabilities. But I suppose the Spec C might be better with no coasting & then some last minute hard braking

Last edited by rickya; 21 October 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 21 October 2008, 12:10 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was hanging off the back of Exiges and a couple of Lotus 11's, when I was up at Snetterton last. But then tbh, they would also hang off the back of me as well around the twisty bits. Any form of straighter tarmac and it was good night vienna to the Lotus boys.

The way they change direction is awesome to view..... not sure I looked quite so elequant.

Quick Reply: Spec-C at Rockingham. Needs improving.