Sponsored by:

Installation of LCD Monitors h

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2001, 09:50 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Has anyone installed any multimedia LCD screens in the impreza, cos I'm thinking of purchasing a in-car navigation unit with a 5.8 inch screen or a 7 inch screen depending on how it fits. I would naturally like the 7 inch monitor but would not like any holes drilled in dash.
Although I will probably have it professionally fitted I would like to hear back from anyone that has had one of these monitors installed, or any views on in-car navigation for that matter.

Rob.
Old 24 January 2001, 08:26 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, I haven't got one but there's an ideal space to get creative with at the top of the dash - the centre gubbins tray with the lid. There's quite a bit of space, so I'd imagine that you could have something lifting vertically out of there. You may have to re-route the air vents, depending on the depth, but you'd be surprised at how much space is in there...

Old 24 January 2001, 09:58 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

The VDO demo P1 has a screen in place of the centre dash tray, though that is permanently on display, which you may not want.

Is this Nav only, or Nav plus Video/TV/DVD?

If its Nav only, it may be worth considering the Garmin GPS Streetpilot - b&w or colour screen and portable too (never used one of these, only a Garmin GPS3+)

You may be able to modify the tray lid so that as you lift it up, it folds up a screen that was inside it, though the screen would have to be quite small and the engineering would have to be reliable to avoid crushing the screen when closing it! I think some of the VDO Nav only screens are small...

Other options are one of the headunits with a motorised LCD screen or something like the VDO headunits with a built in B&W LCD panel.
Old 24 January 2001, 11:44 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob

Call Jason on 0831 204020 he is a superb installer and he will let you know what can or cant be done.

Saj
STI V
Old 24 January 2001, 04:25 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

The nav unit I'm purchasing is a Panasonic CN-DV2000 unit with 7 inch LCD screen.
I had a look to see if it could fit in the centre dash tray but no (well not with the lid still attached anyway), the 5.8 inch screen might but I would prefer the bigger screen!!
Also the monitor can be removed from it's stand, this then doesn't attract the wrong person to my windows!!

Thanks Saj I'll give em a buzz.
Old 24 January 2001, 09:39 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

MAXPOWER FEB 2001
There is a head unit screen test in this edition of maxpower. Panasonic got the vote but get a copy & have a read.....might help you.