Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

SIDC - Why Bother?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2001, 05:03 PM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just joined the SIDC for my second year now, paid the money etc..

I received some stickers and a copy of the magazine. However, when I sent off the form I put in a note saying that I wanted to take the driving course they offered last year ASAP and asked for details of how and who etc.. I received no details.

I did not take this course last year and was hoping to do it soon. I have since phoned the SIDC number and left 2 messages asking them to give me some details. No replies. I have emailed and no reply.

I am posting for two reasons.

Firstly, why bother joining if you need to harass them into getting information from them. You will say track days, magazine, 10% off etc, which are all good things, but a club should enable free and easy access to information shouldn't it? and I should at least have my requests answered even if it is a courtesy call to say sorry can't help you. I'm sure there is a slice of my fee going to administration. Has anyone else experienced this lack of response?

Secondly, can anyone tell me who to contact about this course and if it still exists for members.

Thanks for your help

Paul

It's a shame I need to post here and take up space to get questions answered.

Old 22 January 2001, 05:13 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Take it easy Reidy, the SIDC is run by volanteers who do have other commitments such as families, work, holidays etc. I am sure you will get a response and there is more to the club than a few stickers.

I think you will find that the course has now been discontinued, as Mr Grimes who used to run the courses left the club due to a disagreement over the use of IT within the club. You could go for one of the Wetter the better courses or HPC (although I cannot give you advice as I have yet to go on one) Probably best to put a post on the board asking for opinions and make a decision based on that.

Andy
Old 22 January 2001, 06:01 PM
Renrag
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try this
Old 22 January 2001, 08:53 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Reidy.
The SIDC has recently gone through a major revamp personnel-wise. This doesn't excuse not returning your mails, but if you contact lisa@sidc.co.uk I'm sure she'll do her best to help.
As Andy has said, the original Police Driver course is no longer offered, but we are looking at alternatives. Even without this, I think the club's membership offers good value for money.

Stef.
Old 22 January 2001, 09:02 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Old 23 January 2001, 08:13 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Hi Reidy,

we really should sort a suffolk meet soon!

I aint had a lot of luck on the 10% discount lark, it seems patchy at best.

Im seriously considering scoobysport for my servicing in the future.

robski
Old 23 January 2001, 08:39 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

From a purely selfish point of view, the subscription more than pays for itself with the savings I make on servicing and parts. I one of the lucky ones whose local dealer actively participates in the discount scheme (Cheam Motors). Bear in mind that all clubs of this type are run on a part time basis by enthusiasts and I think they do a good job. The latest issue of the club magazine was miles better than anything produced in the past and it can't have been cheap.

Stick with it.

Chris
Old 23 January 2001, 09:22 AM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I think the club's membership offers good value for money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hear, hear! I paid my £20 to join and I've had £10 back so far thanks to the SIDC subsidising post event meals (Brands Hatch and Karting @ Milton Keynes). Take into account the discount offers, magazines etc and I'm up on the deal.

Good stuff.

Chris.
Old 23 January 2001, 10:32 AM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

I know I know that there is more to it, my post said so.

I am taking it easy as well.

My point was that if one of the aims of the club is to share information, then it has failed me so far hasn't it.

Thanks for the responses, I shall hold out for the alternative courses. I know about the wetter the better and other courses out there.

Robski, agreed.

Monday night, Tuesday night or even Sunday nights are good for me generally.

Paul
Old 23 January 2001, 12:40 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

See.....even Blow Dog agrees and he drives an Airfix advert!

Stef.
Old 24 January 2001, 12:49 AM
SIDC
Scooby Newbie

Reidy ,

Hmm. probably a fair comment, but..

a) the telno is basically for membership enquiries.
b) we get zillions of phone messages. We both work and when you come home late to an answer machine showing 24 messages day after day it does get a bit much.
c) lisa ALWAYS replies to emails or forwards to me for reply. I've just spent 10mins searching through the thousands of emails. There are none with this email address of yours and all those from a Paul are not yours. She can't reply to stuff we don't receive
d) because of the work involved lisa puts the membership forms onto database each night, but it is only at the weekends we create the packs and sometimes get family members to help out. This is why your note got overlooked. apologies.

With 1500 members (and we get about 10 a day join) you can see that we are stretched.

Sure, there is an alternative. Make the subscription £50 a year and employ someone for 3 days a week. I'm being serious..Lisa spends about 2 hours a day answering all the emails, returning all the SAE's, processing new members/renewals and then we both spend about 3/4 of saturday making up the packs. Oh and about 20 hours a month filling in the details for paying in the cheques we receive.

The good news is that with the introduction of credit card/online membership the database processing and cheque sorting will be removed.

We are doing the best we can given the situation, in fairness I think that £20 a year is silly money. Most of us would spend 4 times that on an air filter !!

lee/lisa
Old 24 January 2001, 01:17 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thats a lot of effort for nothing.

Big thanks to Lee and Lisa

I can still see the point in Reidys post tho.

What annoys me more than anything is the inconsistency in the application of the discount at dealers.

Are dealers asked regularly to support the scheme?

I for one booked into a dealer for a big service because they offered the discount, only to find it was a limited time offer. Well true grip didnt say that it was limited.
It was Osborns in colchester, who I will never use again as they didnt supply a breakdown for a £300 service.

It would be better if any dealers that did support the discount scheme had a spot on the SIDC site to detail what is and isnt included. Just a suggestion.

robski
Old 24 January 2001, 02:25 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I have had a similar experience with the discount from Osborne's (although I did claim it once). The nearest alternative, however, is Days of Chelmsford which seems to be 10% more expensive anyway.
Old 24 January 2001, 03:30 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Big Thanks to Lee and Lisa.

I haven't used the discount yet, just the magazine's and organised events get my £20.

I get through £20 of petrol in a couple of hours on a Sunday drive.

Lee
Old 24 January 2001, 10:26 PM
Andy Burrell
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A big thumbs up to Lee and Lisa also, I got my discount at Day's at the weekend no question. I didn't think they were too expensive and you get to drive a nice little Hyundi for a day .

If you guys need a hand at any time just drop me an email I only live 15 mins walk from you.

Andy