ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What has happened to SNet?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2008, 02:01 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What has happened to SNet?

I have not posted on SNet for a short while. What has happened? Since I joined I've never seen so many threads and posts slagging it off.

Old 10 October 2008, 03:34 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Don't know what you on about, it's all one big happy family in here

Old 10 October 2008, 03:37 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

It's like Murdoch running the A-team around these parts.
Old 10 October 2008, 03:38 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

APY? OO U CALLIN APY RND ERE????? INNIT

Old 10 October 2008, 03:58 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

is that txt spk calling scoobynet snet......BURN HIM I SAY

Old 10 October 2008, 05:39 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its gone proper chave with a capital C. Its also had more than its fair share of dodgy sellers of late.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:58 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

So the product of the down turn in Scooby prices?
Old 10 October 2008, 10:11 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

yes i think so
Old 10 October 2008, 10:21 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

******* shame. There could still be some camaraderie couldn't there? Or could it be that the old school just cannot get along with the young'uns. Just throw that one into the mix!!
Old 10 October 2008, 10:23 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

And where has the likes of Mr. Lewis disappeared? Gen Tec still seems okay though..
Old 11 October 2008, 09:17 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

He's reincacnated as Borat Drives a Scooby.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 11 October 2008, 09:50 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Victim of its own success, i do not have an axe to grind - really.

Having joined it 1999 i have seen a lot of changes - including two changes of ownership.

Steering SN must be a tough job and not one i would relish. That includes the mod team too!

IMHO and it is just that.

Infraction system is open to abuse and is abused, it is hard to tell what is being done about it but it is still being used and abused by some, so you can draw your own conclusions.

SN has 87,000 members, i am sure PSL is responsible for half of those in various guises and 87k members and you are bound to get people you do not like, trolls and ar$eholes a plenty.

The car itself is now cheap to buy and in the hands of a lot more chavs, barryboys, etc. with SN as the premier site they are bound to find ther way here sooner or later and that does not help either.

However, what competition does it have r, hardly any serious contenders really. If people do not like SN they can move to one of the other sites, me i will stay a while longer as there are still some great posters aznd personalities on here
Old 11 October 2008, 11:47 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

I totally agree. Things do change and they will change again. Probably just a blip.
Old 11 October 2008, 12:23 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Yep, takes all sorts to make the world go round, each and every one to their own! You get a few iffy people but then that's life and it can make SN amusing if you don't always look for the seriousness in everything.. We are all still posting and reading so can't be all bad and you only need the one thread like the one a couple days ago about "most embaressing moment" and that shows what a happy family we really are
Old 11 October 2008, 01:13 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I agree to a certain extent. However, there are good sites out there apart from Scoobynet. A lot of the 87k members will be dormant accounts or duplicate accounts. It's obvious there has been a mass exodus, certainly in the past couple of years.
Old 11 October 2008, 02:51 PM
Micky Type-R
Scooby Regular

Not been on here long and don't post often but my reason for joining was mainly the informative posts from knowledgeable enthusiasts with a jovial banter who gave me the inspiration and guidance to buy a scooby in the first place.
As of late though i have noticed a down-turn in the friendliness of some of the posts,some even becoming vicious in their comments,which is not good for the general feeling of the site.Hopefully this is just a phase and it will get better.
As has been said before many times buy other users,if you don't like a thread don't slag people off but put across your view constructively.If you feel too strongly to do this DONT POST!

Enough said
Old 11 October 2008, 02:57 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Micky Type-R
Not been on here long and don't post often but my reason for joining was mainly the informative posts from knowledgeable enthusiasts with a jovial banter who gave me the inspiration and guidance to buy a scooby in the first place.
As of late though i have noticed a down-turn in the friendliness of some of the posts,some even becoming vicious in their comments,which is not good for the general feeling of the site.Hopefully this is just a phase and it will get better.
As has been said before many times buy other users,if you don't like a thread don't slag people off but put across your view constructively.If you feel too strongly to do this DONT POST!

Enough said
Well said mate
Old 11 October 2008, 07:38 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

If you were to look at a snap shot of scoobynet for any month from any period of its entire existence over the last ten year or so, there will be a thread where someone asks this same question, and states 'it just isn't the same as it used to be'.

This is a totally valid statement. It isn't. It continues to change, and will continue to change in the future.

But one thing has remained true. Throughout this period, and for each of these posts, scoobynet has continued to grow in popularity, and a vast number of people have been around for many years.

Things change, and you either move with it, or move on. But there is more to it.

Remember, that when you first arrived at scoobynet, you may have found a topic that particularly interested you. You fed off the knowledge, and learnt LOADS in a short space of time. During this period, scoobynet is a wealth of fantastic posts and interesting topics. But sooner or later, you've read about almost all of the things you were really interested in, so what next? Most people start venturing into the community side, and at this stage you have to be very careful what group of people you start mixing with - just like in real life.

There are some COMPLETE pillocks posting on this site. I'm talking FULL BLOWN weirdos. But you know what? They are down your local pub as well. The difference is, these socially inept morons have a chance to speak up and interrupt us normal folk with their idiotic dribble, without fear of their usual insecurities getting in the way.

At this stage, people start thinking 'wow.. what happened to scoobynet? when I first arrived a year ago, it was fantastic, but now its just full of idiots'.

Most people, then pass through this phase and realise there is a culture of some truly fantastic people on here, you just have to remember to filter out the drone of the morons that have finally found a place where they think they are being heard.

ScoobyNet is and always will be what the members make it, so my advice to anyone who thinks scoobynet isn't what they want it to be, is to attempt to make it what you want it. Start some great topics, join in with others, and IGNORE the trolls. The attention paid to them is the only thing that keeps them alive.

The infraction system, community controlled banning, and post rating functions have made an incredible difference to the forum, and generally the only people who complain about it are the tiny minority who receive infractions - no surprise there. But anyone who's been around for about 3 years or more, and has just wanted a great place to chat with like minded folk, without the nastiness and moronic slagging matches, will remember a time not so long ago, when it really WAS a difficult place to be.

Bottom line. Enjoy scoobynet for what you want it for, and as long as you're not being a tw@t, and you ignore / infract the pillocks rather than responding to them, scoobynet will continue to be a great place to hang out.
Old 11 October 2008, 08:01 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Good answer Webby, but my question was asking about various threads and posts slating SNet, not at eachother. For example the latest thread I read on this subject is here https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...rticipate.html
Old 11 October 2008, 08:23 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
There are some COMPLETE pillocks posting on this site. I'm talking FULL BLOWN weirdos. But you know what? They are down your local pub as well. The difference is, these socially inept morons have a chance to speak up and interrupt us normal folk with their idiotic dribble, without fear of their usual insecurities getting in the way.
I've not the time to reply in full as I'm off to the pub. The difference being the undesirables you've mentioned are dealt with in the open in real life, not via some anonymous infraction system. And, indeed many infractions I've seen are totally unjustified.

The banter you'd see between young/middle aged men (99% of your members) is increasingly being banned and infracted by complete pillocks and socially inept morons you mention. These same cowards haven't the ***** in real life to say boo to a goose.

If you really think everything is hunky dorey and there's nothing wrong with the site and how it's run then good for you.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:40 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Sorry dan, you're absolutely right, and I completely missed one of your points there.

And yeah, there is the odd one of this kind of thing around at the minute, and some comments, while often worded badly, are at least partly justified - something I'm sure IB would accept, and are addressing.

But these also go in phases. So you have to balance it a little.

Some people just love to moan, and especially to poke at seniority or establishment, like some kind of crusade.

Unfortunately this means the genuine complaints / suggestions are sometimes lost in the noise.
Old 12 October 2008, 11:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I've not the time to reply in full as I'm off to the pub. The difference being the undesirables you've mentioned are dealt with in the open in real life, not via some anonymous infraction system. And, indeed many infractions I've seen are totally unjustified.

The banter you'd see between young/middle aged men (99% of your members) is increasingly being banned and infracted by complete pillocks and socially inept morons you mention. These same cowards haven't the ***** in real life to say boo to a goose.

If you really think everything is hunky dorey and there's nothing wrong with the site and how it's run then good for you.
I echo these comments, other than the pub bit
Old 12 October 2008, 12:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Paul and scoobynutta, you've both missed the point a bit then.

The difference being the undesirables you've mentioned are dealt with in the open in real life, not via some anonymous infraction system.
What I'm saying is. The vast majority of the undesirables on scoobynet are people that wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life, so they literally DON'T get dealt with in real life - as they don't do anything.

I genuinely can't count the number of times one of these idiots has PMd me saying 'look.. if you and I met in the real world, we'd probably get on really well, and be mates.. but this is just how I post, etc, etc'.

What these people don't realise is that they are basically admitting they are timid little people in real life who don't have the guts to say what they really want to say, and suddenly they can do and say whatever they want.

This is also the reason we all read these people's comments and think 'my god.. screw loose city'.. because they haven't had the life experience of speaking their minds to temper what they actually say.. it just all spills out like a socially inept thug.

And, indeed many infractions I've seen are totally unjustified.
This couldn't be simpler. Report it. Job done.

The banter you'd see between young/middle aged men (99% of your members) is increasingly being banned
Absolutely not. Remember, that a group of 4 blokes in a bar, who've all known each other for a while, and talking just to each other is totally different to publishing messages on a forum read by tens of thousands of people. A good rule of thumb is. Would you, in real life, consider what you're posting to be something that would be ok to just walk up to a group you've never met before, and overheard talking and say to their faces - no facial expression, dead pan. just say it?

Because THIS is what its like on a forum. Some people find that hard to grasp, and think they're talking to people who all know them and should be able to see they meant it as banter or whatever.